Author Topic: Does your god do miracles?  (Read 145 times)

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Does your god do miracles?
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
Or did he/she/them/it? I'm coming from an ex-Christian perspective here, so bear me out. All I know of the gods out there is mostly about the Christian version, with some knowledge of the Hebrew version, and the Zoroastrian version even less. I know nothing of Hindu gods or any other, tbh.

So, I was reading a post elsewhere about the scene in the bible where a prophet is called bald-headed or some such, and Yahweh seemingly sent out two bears to maul a large group of  teenagers (see, things don't change, gang!). Its not really clear if the bears killed all of them or just maimed some and killed others, but it seems to be fairly horrific regardless.

It seems then, that this Yahweh god could do powerful things at one time, but not so much anymore. Perhaps natural disasters are him indeed reaping judgment, he did similar things in the bible. But oh no, the god who never changes has indeed changed and he no longer is responsible for such things. I digress.

Does your god(s) still do miracles today? I don't want to get into the ditch with Lourdes and all of that, I want to know if your god(s) used to do large scale grand miracles, and now either still does or does not for whatever reason. Do you know why your god(s) no longer demonstrates his/her/its/their power?
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
Re: Does your god do miracles?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 10:24:12 AM »
BM. This should be interesting.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
Hasn't"t God returned to his original position of wraith and anger? Storms earthquakes and other assorted natural disasters? All because God hates fags,but America allows this behaviour?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-99
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »
Or did he/she/them/it? I'm coming from an ex-Christian perspective here, so bear me out. All I know of the gods out there is mostly about the Christian version, with some knowledge of the Hebrew version, and the Zoroastrian version even less. I know nothing of Hindu gods or any other, tbh.

So, I was reading a post elsewhere about the scene in the bible where a prophet is called bald-headed or some such, and Yahweh seemingly sent out two bears to maul a large group of  teenagers (see, things don't change, gang!). Its not really clear if the bears killed all of them or just maimed some and killed others, but it seems to be fairly horrific regardless.

It seems then, that this Yahweh god could do powerful things at one time, but not so much anymore. Perhaps natural disasters are him indeed reaping judgment, he did similar things in the bible. But oh no, the god who never changes has indeed changed and he no longer is responsible for such things. I digress.

Does your god(s) still do miracles today? I don't want to get into the ditch with Lourdes and all of that, I want to know if your god(s) used to do large scale grand miracles, and now either still does or does not for whatever reason. Do you know why your god(s) no longer demonstrates his/her/its/their power?

You act like miracles were an everyday occurance in Bible times such that everyone but us has witnessed a miracle.  That is just not true.  For example, how many years passed from creation to the ark?  How many miracles are recorded during that time?  So I don't understand why you would assume that we all today should be able to witness miraculous events.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »
Since the scientific ability to test and verify things that seem to puzzle us has been around, is there been a verifiable miracle? I am asking you JST. Do you view storms,earthquakes,hurricanes typhoons to be an act of an angry God?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-99
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
Since the scientific ability to test and verify things that seem to puzzle us has been around, is there been a verifiable miracle? I am asking you JST. Do you view storms,earthquakes,hurricanes typhoons to be an act of an angry God?

Not according to the scriptures.  He has prophecied his next intervention with punishment in the affairs of mankind to be at Armaggedon.  There is no scriptural reason to believe he will intervene with punishment before that. 
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »

Not according to the scriptures.  He has prophecied his next intervention with punishment in the affairs of mankind to be at Armaggedon.  There is no scriptural reason to believe he will intervene with punishment before that.
So I guess all those who say God is behind the mega storms are just led by the Devil,like the RCC? The prophecy complete,except the final one,what is God waiting for,Israel?

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »

You act like miracles were an everyday occurance in Bible times such that everyone but us has witnessed a miracle.  That is just not true.  For example, how many years passed from creation to the ark?  How many miracles are recorded during that time?  So I don't understand why you would assume that we all today should be able to witness miraculous events.

I would like to hear of a miracle of mythical scale in the last 1980 or so years. Whatcha got?
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
There are miracles there is this one lady that could not move her hand and this guy luk who stubbed his toe and caught a train......
Signature goes here...

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +809/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »
So, Jst, the reports of people being healed from illnesses and saved from plane crashes are not really due to god intervening in people lives? They are just coincidences? In reality, god is doing nothing?

As a former JW I never have understood what god has been doing for all these centuries while the world (supposedly) goes to hell in a handbasket. However, I don't agree with the JW's that the world is getting worse and worse and worse.  Yes, there is still warfare and poverty and suffering. There is still crime, especially property crime; although violent crime goes down pretty much everywhere when the population of young males gets older.

News programs that focus on violent crime and warfare make people think that the world is more dangerous than ever before. But the actual numbers don't show that. Things get better for some people and things get worse for other people. But on the whole, worldwide, life expectancy is still going up, infant and child mortality are still going down, women's lives are getting better in most places, whole regions (like China) that used to suffer periodic starvation are famine-free, and we have avoided an all-out nuclear war.

There are lots of places in the world where people are living fairly peaceful, prosperous and safe lives. Amazingly enough, many of those places (like Canada, Japan and Scandinavia) have the lowest percentages of believers in any god and are supposedly run by Satan.

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +63/-0
  • I'll bleed for my own 'sins' thank you very much
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 03:35:21 AM »
My god? Miracles? Nah, my god ain't risen... he's sleeping in today.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.