Author Topic: NYC policy on student immunization upheld  (Read 84 times)

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
NYC policy on student immunization upheld
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »
A welcome breath of sanity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/23/nyregion/judge-upholds-policy-barring-unvaccinated-students-during-illnesses.html?_r=2

It makes me angry and tired, that there is still a controversy over this subject. From the linked article:
The third plaintiff, Dina Check, sued on somewhat different grounds, saying that the city had improperly denied her 7-year-old daughter a religious exemption. She said the city rejected her religious exemption after it had denied her a medical exemption, sowing doubts among administrators about the authenticity of her religious opposition. But Ms. Check said the request for a medical exemption had been mistakenly submitted by a school nurse without her consent.

After the school barred her daughter, Ms. Check home-schooled her and then moved her to a private school that accepted her daughter without the vaccinations. State vaccination requirements cover public and private schools, but in New York City, private schools have more autonomy in handling exemptions.

Ms. Check said she rejected vaccination after her daughter was “intoxicated” by a few shots during infancy, which she said caused an onslaught of food and milk allergies, rashes and infections. Combined with a religious revelation she had during the difficult pregnancy, she said, the experience turned her away from medicine. Now she uses holistic treatments.

“Disease is pestilence,” Ms. Check said, “and pestilence is from the devil. The devil is germs and disease, which is cancer and any of those things that can take you down. But if you trust in the Lord, these things cannot come near you.”

This is a dismaying level of willful ignorance and superstition. I feel sorry for her child.

A related article and quote from same:
http://io9.com/10-pseudo-science-theories-wed-like-to-see-retired-fore-1592128908
It makes me want to invent time-travel technology and take up a collection, so I could go back in time and give Andrew Wakefield a lot of money and set him up as a "conceptual artist" or a fashion photographer or something. Anything that gives him the money and attention he so obviously craves without doing the damage he did. If it cost half a billion dollars, it would still be a bargain.

I'd crowdfund that proposal. But maybe we could use the technology to send him, Jenny McCarthy and all the other anti-vaxxers back to the height of the Black Death pandemic of 1346 AD, instead.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Jeltz

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: NYC policy on student immunization upheld
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
It's almost like a kind of bioterrorism. They don't vaccinate their kids, the kids get infected, then they take their diseased little bodies to school and threaten to infect other children.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
It's almost like a kind of bioterrorism. They don't vaccinate their kids, the kids get infected, then they take their diseased little bodies to school and threaten to infect other children.

Indeed. What would a judge say if he had to rule on a case of negligence that resulted in the death of a baby who contracted a preventable disease from a carrier whose parents think they know more than doctors? It's disgusting...the level of science denial has increased thanks to the fear-mongering morons who spread lies.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
I believe Ms. Check should not be allowed to see her daughter unless there is at least 1" of glass between them.  The woman is clearly nuts.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »

Seems logical. Fundies breed like asexual rabbits, and they have no respect for lives other than their own.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.