1 (9.1%)
No
8 (72.7%)
I dont know
1 (9.1%)
Other (explain)
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: "Will humans ever stop fighting wars?"  (Read 186 times)

Offline shnozzola

"Will humans ever stop fighting wars?"
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »
From Radiolab:

John Horgan examines how Americans seem to have a completely different attitude toward war than we did thirty years ago. He takes us on a stroll through Hoboken(NJ), asking strangers one of the great unanswerable questions: "Will humans ever stop fighting wars?" Strangely, everyone seems to know the answer. Robert Sapolsky brings us farther afield - to eastern Africa, where a population of baboons defies his expectations of violent behavior. Robert is surprised to feel hopeful for a gentler future, but then primatologist Richard Wrangham asserts that their aggressive nature is innate, unchanging, and hanging over them like a guillotine.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/91694-new-baboon/

Listen:      https://www.wnyc.org/radio/#/ondemand/91694   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:20:02 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: "Will humans ever stop fighting wars?"
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
It depends on what you mean by "stop". I believe it will take a long time for us to evolve socially to the point where we won't fight wars. However, if we don't get to that stage, we might wipe ourselves out, which will, technically, stop us from fighting wars anyway.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
Not as far as I can see. We find too many reasons to hate one another.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »
shnozzola, I assume you were the one who edited the poll. When you changed the options, you also changed my vote. Could you allow us to remove our votes so I can vote for what I think is the right answer?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
The west has stopped fighting wars, we now have peace keeping missions, police actions regime changes etc.

more broadly i have this vision that the remnants of opposing sides will live inside large capsules and will live in peace as they face extinction in a toxic planet that can no longer support human life. these will be humanities last and best days.

perhaps some of the filthy rich sociopaths in power will have escaped to another planet or space station.
Signature goes here...

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »
There One, I believe I fixed it.  We will have to vote again.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:58:47 PM »
Thanks.
We choose our own gods.