Author Topic: Fun facts about yourself!  (Read 423 times)

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
Fun facts about yourself!
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
'Ello peers. I want to learn more about you folks here, so I thought this would be a fun way to get to know one another.

I'll start:
My name means God in my language...ironic.
As a teenager, I don't like Soda, coffee, or energy drinks.
I play guitar. Favorite song "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica.
I write/wrote fantasy and adventure stories.
My favourite colour is White.
My biggest wish to to have knowledge of the Origin of the Universe.
My favourite quote:
"You can't win a marathon without putting a few Bandaides on your nipples." -Unknown.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Fun facts about yourself!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »
Taking a few of Defiance's things into consideration...

Every one of my five names has a religious connotation, with the strongest ones being "Hélio" (after the god Helios, which happens to be my first name), "Rafael" (after the archangel Raphael, whose name means "God has healed"), and "Jesus" (after... you know, Jesus). I have never met an atheist with a more religious name than mine.
I don't like soda or energy drinks. Coffee I can drink and enjoy, but it doesn't do anything for me; that is, I don't feel the effects of caffeine.
I play the flute. That's all I know how to play. If I had time, money, and memory capacity, I'd learn how to play every instrument on Earth.
I write homosexual romantic fan fictions, friendship fan fictions, and am in the process of writing a book.
My favorite color is white.
I am 1.93m tall (about 6'4''). My legs, back when I was 16, measured exactly one meter (about three feet).

That's all I have that can be construed as "fun" facts. I have more, but they're darker.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
Wow, guess we have some things in common.
"God is just and fair"

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »
Wow, guess we have some things in common.

Why would that surprise you?

Also, I guess I can reveal a small big wish I have:
I wish to win a Nobel prize in Physics. Five times.[1]
 1. One for each major contribution I intend to make.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »
I love music and have played every instrument known and sing.

i can't play a single note on any instrument

i can't sing

i devote my life to physics

i have never had an original thought in physics.

my dogs are very loving

my dogs attack anyone who is not me.

my name is peter after the guy in the bible.

Women that barely know me can't understand why i am still single

women that know me know why i am still single

i think everything is funny.
Signature goes here...

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:07:18 PM »
I now have a cat sized dog - a chihuahua, even though I have always been against "purse puppies" and had medium to large dogs in the past.  We also have a Quaker Parrot with a large vocabulary, a desert gecko and a tiny Amazon Dwarf Frog.

I play clarinet, piano and sing lyric soprano.  I enjoy nearly all genres of music.

I paint in watercolors.  I am also taking up "zen doodling."

I do yoga and am trying to learn tai chi.  I mix them and assorted ballet workouts with my home physical therapy program.

It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:37:59 PM »
When I was younger I was a math geek, winning a regional competition in Grade 7, but took a detour into arts and never quite made it back.

I'm a reformed Crazy Cat Lady (down to 4 cats, from a high of 9).

I play clarinet, keyboards, violin and guitar, and am sporadically teaching Myself alto sax and flute (with the intention of finding a teacher when I can find time for the lessons).  I play clarinet in 3 different community concert bands, usually 2nd chair because I'd rather harmonize than solo.

I won NaNoWriMo 6 years in a row (50,000+ words in 30 days) but was foiled in a seventh attempt.[1]

My memory is optimized for sound:  I can recall and mentally play any song I know, and I can recognize and sometimes mimic voices.

My house is full of dragons:  Posters, sculptures  -- including a giant blue one on the front lawn -- and stuffed toys.

I'm functionally ambidextrous, except for handwriting (just haven't practised it enough to be good at it).

I can spell "choledocholithiasis" and "gastrojejunostomy" and many other terrifying words from memory.  :o

I want to learn to tap dance.
 1. First I fell off the back steps in late October and fractured a leg bone; then My car got rear-ended and I had to spend a few evenings and weekends shopping for another one.  It also didn't help that 10 days of the month had been reallocated to band commitments, leaving only 20 days to write a novel.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »
You gals seem awesome. the women i get to meet are horror stories and epic tragedies all rolled into one snarling dependent drug fuked ball.
Signature goes here...

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:46:10 AM »
My name means "loves horses" but the only way I like horses is in stew with a good brown beer sauce.
My French teacher noticed a sudden jump in my French skills ... this curiously coincided with discovering Saint Seiya on TF1.
My German teacher noticed a sudden jump in my German skills ... this curiously coincided with discovering WCW on DSF.
My Dutch teacher noticed a sudden jump in my spelling skills ... this curiously coincided with discovering the spell checker in Micro$oft Works.
As a teen, I hated endives, now I can't get enough of them.
As a teen, I loved strawberries, now I can't stand them.
Kim Clijsters' dad is one of my heroes.
The first Iron Maiden song I ever heard was Can I play with madness, this occurred in may or june of 1988.
I capitalize Metal so often that I even do it in contexts where I'm not actually talking about Metal.
I got into writing through Buffy fanfics. I was a huge fan of Spuffy.
At work, we often descend into a Blackadder/Red Dwarf/QI/Young Ones/Bottom/Monty Python quote-a-thon.
My favorite being, "You'll be as dead as that squirrel!" "What squirrel?" *shoots in the air* *something falls out of the tree* "That squirrel!"
My English spelling and grammar are better than my Dutch ... though I'll never figure out weather/whether/wether.
Now stand aside while I rip this ram's balls off.
I have quite the zoo at home ... three dogs, one fish, one rabit, six chickens and two apes ... no wait, those last two are my kids ... well technically they're apes.
My first step towards atheism was discovering a chocolate egg underneath a bucket that was supposedly left there by the church bells who flew to Rome and had chocolate eggs stuffed in them by the Pope himself ... there's stuff not even a five year old will accept.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »
Hmm, let's see....

If it were practical, or financially feasible, I would continue going to college in pursuit of a PhD.

I don't watch much tv, but my favorite shows tend to have highly dysfunctional main characters (House, Bones, Dexter for the first couple seasons). I'm drawn to "brilliant but messy" people in real life too. I also find myself watching shows like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and American Restoration when I'm home on weekends.

I've recently gotten very interested in MotoGP motorcycle racing.

I read a lot, mostly fiction. It's not unusual for me to find an author I like and read everything I can get my hands on by them. Fantasy, crime, and anything by Stephen King or Neil Gaiman are my defaults. The toughest thing about being in college is the lack of time to read for pleasure, so I read on my phone whenever I have the opportunity. I'm selective about what books I'll read this way though - I prefer books I can get lost in to the ones I can set down every few pages.

I'm something of a starry-eyed idealist.

I've recently become qualified as a family mediator, and will be qualified as a civil mediator by the end of the year.

Two adult kids, one grandchild, one long-term boyfriend. Due to lifestyle matters that can't be changed right now, our pets are fish - we have four Angels, a dozen Neon Tetras, and a couple of "clean-up" fish. By happy accident, we just discovered that two of our Angels are a breeding pair, so we're starting a new tank for them. We want dogs, but that's a few years out still.

I'm teaching myself to sew, and have concluded that commercial sewing patterns are a pain in the ass - so I make patterns from existing clothing and change it to suit. I'm not sure how far I'll pursue this hobby.

Favorite color is green, but I tend to wear a lot of black. I don't like to fuss much over clothing, so I default to simple things that go together easily. I hardly ever wear makeup, and my hair is damn near to my rear end. Usually piled on top of my head, or pulled into big fat braid in back.

I like dark beer, vodka, and red wine. Not all at once though.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »
my hair is damn near to my rear end. Usually piled on top of my head, or pulled into big fat braid in back.

If you don't mind my asking, why?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »
My name means hero and healer.

I have 2 cats called dave and dave.
I don't own a TV but watch things with a friend who records them. We like The walking dead, Game of thrones, Grimm, The black list and True Blood. And PDC darts.

I read alot. Mostly historical fiction about rome, but I swap books with friends and read some really weird shit.

I've been a part time HE student since 2005.

I don't really have a favourite colour.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:22 AM »
my hair is damn near to my rear end. Usually piled on top of my head, or pulled into big fat braid in back.

If you don't mind my asking, why?

This question can be interpreted a couple of ways, but I'll answer the way I think you are asking it - correct me if I misunderstood please.

My hair is challenging no matter the length. It's very fine (individual hair texture) but extremely thick (I have a LOT of hair) and it grows unusually fast (as do my wimpy fingernails). It's actually easier to manage if I can keep it constrained in some way, so I leave it long enough to gather into a twist or a bun, or up in a ponytail or a braid. During the summer, I spend a fair amount of time on the back of a motorcycle, and it's far easier to untangle if I can tie up the majority of it and only have to fuss with the bits that inevitably escape.

I baby the heck out of it too. I don't use shampoo at all anymore, so the ends are (finally) un-split and healthy. I'm due for a "trim and thin" but haven't taken the time. It will still be past mid-back after that though.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »
This question can be interpreted a couple of ways, but I'll answer the way I think you are asking it - correct me if I misunderstood please.
<snip>

That is what I was asking about. Thanks, and sorry for not being clear.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
I’m the only member of my family without musical talent.

I have a degree in art, but am not artistic.  For some reason, I have an affinity for maps.

I enjoy laughter and thoughtful humor, but dislike practical jokes.

I enjoy guns and target shooting, but am not a hunter, NRA member, or generally violent person.

I enjoy anything to do with airplanes or aviation, but can barely tolerate airline flying.

I’m the only member of my family with military service;  fun fact: there are atheists in foxholes.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »
I have 2 cats called dave and dave.

Lol, we have two catfish named Darryl and Darryl, in homage to Bob Newhart.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
A few more I just thought of, more along the lines of quirks:

I have a favorite brand of jigsaw puzzles. Yes really - ceaco, if anyone's interested. I'm not sure what that says about me.

Christmas of the year I was... 45 I think? ... my "best" present was from my boyfriend. He bought me the Lego Haunted House, which I spent Christmas Day assembling, with absolute delight. I love Lego's and am dying to get back to the "real" job market so I can go back to indulging myself with trips to the Legoland store that include buying new Lego sets, which I DO NOT SHARE. I'm not joking when I say that my granddaughter will have her own Lego's at my house, because even she will not be permitted to play with mine. I don't know why this is the case, but I'm ridiculously possessive and territorial about MY Lego's. (It's almost embarrassing - but I'm usually quite willing to share most everything else.)

I'm a carbohydrate addict - if the end product began as dough, odds are good that I'm a fan. There's almost nothing that one could do to rice, potatoes, or pasta that I wouldn't still eat, except rice pudding - it's a texture issue.

[Finished my last class yesterday. It's been 55 consecutive credits (January of last year). I'm done for the next two months, I need a break. So I just finished making a pasta salad, I'm going to go work on a jigsaw puzzle, and will start building the Lego White House when I finish. I'm not sure I have the energy to be any happier, this is my idea of an excellent break - who needs heaven with all this?  :laugh: ]

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »
I've said a lot about my life in my time here but a little list will save everyone the trouble of piecing it all together.

I live in the Midwest, in Illinois for now but will probably be moving to Wisconsin in the near future to pursue a higher degree in chemistry and also my wife wants to move back to Wisconsin.
I love cold temperatures over hot, but I hate working in the snow.
I love being outside to just walk around and enjoy what The Flying Spaghetti Monster has made.  Nature walks are relaxing for me.
I played bass guitar in a band for several years traveling around the country in the hopes of making it a career.  Gave it up after being told by record companies that we had the talent, but not the looks so they wouldn't sign us.
I have a black pug named Max.  He is awesome.

I want to learn to tap dance.
I did tap dancing and gymnastics for 20 years.  My parents tell me that when I was born my right foot was backwards.  While I was an infant they worked it to how it should be and put me in tap dance as physical therapy.  I had a lot of fun with it and would recommend doing it if you have the chance.

[Finished my last class yesterday. It's been 55 consecutive credits (January of last year). I'm done for the next two months, I need a break.
I have three classes to take this summer to complete my associates.  The two weeks I had off between spring and summer semester was divine.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
I once learned to milk a cow while I was on an Embraer E190 aircraft engineer's type rating course.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »
Wait, what do you mean a backwards foot?
"God is just and fair"

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 10:42:26 PM »
The way my mother always told me was that my left foot faced forward and my right foot was turned backwards.  They never took any pictures of it so I'm a little suspect.

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 05:39:30 AM »
The way my mother always told me was that my left foot faced forward and my right foot was turned backwards.  They never took any pictures of it so I'm a little suspect.

Did she also tell you that Jesus or whoever healed you?
We choose our own gods.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 11:19:11 AM »
I don't ever recall her saying it was a divine healing.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 11:24:20 AM »
I don't ever recall her saying it was a divine healing.

Doctors then?
We choose our own gods.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
I just called my dad to get the story straight.  He said it wasn't completely backwards but extremely crooked.  No special doctor visits just my parents working my foot into where it should be every time they changed diapers.  I started tap dancing when I was a little over two years old and he said that was the physical therapy to help keep my foot how it should be.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »
I just called my dad to get the story straight.  He said it wasn't completely backwards but extremely crooked.  No special doctor visits just my parents working my foot into where it should be every time they changed diapers.  I started tap dancing when I was a little over two years old and he said that was the physical therapy to help keep my foot how it should be.

I can't refute that, although I am highly skeptical of the therapeutic properties of tap dancing.
We choose our own gods.