Author Topic: Please cross The Pond, please cross The Pond...  (Read 8324 times)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Please cross The Pond, please cross The Pond...
« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
in other than knowledge and technology,would you say humans have evolved? We still kill each other at an alarming rate,people stave to death when food is available,certain organisms can still kill us and we pretty much look the same for the last 10,000 years or more. we live longer,are generally healthier,diet and medicine have helped us get there.

Yes, but it is microevolution. We are still humans. We didn't speciate into anything.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:58 PM »
in other than knowledge and technology,would you say humans have evolved? We still kill each other at an alarming rate,people stave to death when food is available,certain organisms can still kill us and we pretty much look the same for the last 10,000 years or more. we live longer,are generally healthier,diet and medicine have helped us get there.

Yes, but it is microevolution. We are still humans. We didn't speciate into anything.
'Kay.

Refer to One Above All's Purple to Red Text Chart. You need to remove this misconception of "micro" and "macro".

Evolution is just that; gradual change. Small mutations add up to cause big change. No where in sane science is "micro" and "macro" put in front of Evolution. It's made up by people who try to get around the evidence.

"Yes sure we can have very small changes, but since we don't turn into flying super humans over night, only micro evolution is true."

"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #321 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »

'Kay.

Refer to One Above All's Purple to Red Text Chart. You need to remove this misconception of "micro" and "macro".

Evolution is just that; gradual change. Small mutations add up to cause big change. No where in sane science is "micro" and "macro" put in front of Evolution. It's made up by people who try to get around the evidence.

"Yes sure we can have very small changes, but since we don't turn into flying super humans over night, only micro evolution is true."

No, like I was saying in the other thread, the fossils only show rapid change. They don't show transitions. So saying, "x evolved into y" is pure speculation because they can't show it via fossils. They only have a fossil of x and a fossil of y but nothing in-between showing how x got to y.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #322 on: July 30, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »

Humans are a type of ape. There were many different types of human and ape, very difficult to tell apart. That is a nice piece of microevolution, isn't it?
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +793/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #323 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »
No, like I was saying in the other thread, the fossils only show rapid change. They don't show transitions. So saying, "x evolved into y" is pure speculation because they can't show it via fossils. They only have a fossil of x and a fossil of y but nothing in-between showing how x got to y.

You don't know anything about evolution either? You are a font of non-knowledge.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +84/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #324 on: July 31, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »

We are also still hominids, primates, mammals, chordates and animals. That is macroevolution.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #325 on: July 31, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »

'Kay.

The most complete fossil record for a species is, I understand, the horse. Why not investigate the evolution of the horse, then come back to us with any disagreement you have with the research?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #326 on: July 31, 2014, 05:40:05 AM »

'Kay.

Wow.

You DO realize we have some transition fossils? Horse is great.

But you know what, I know how you'll get around that.

Super accurate example of evolution (just kidding):
Hurj

Horj

Hors

Horse.

You'll just say "oh where is the transition between hurj and horj? Between hors and horse?

You keep looking from transitions, when the truth is, we have found them; you just keep looking for transitions in between transitions.
"God is just and fair"

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #327 on: July 31, 2014, 08:17:08 AM »

'Kay.

Wow.

You DO realize we have some transition fossils? Horse is great.

But you know what, I know how you'll get around that.

Super accurate example of evolution (just kidding):
Hurj

Horj

Hors

Horse.

You'll just say "oh where is the transition between hurj and horj? Between hors and horse?

You keep looking from transitions, when the truth is, we have found them; you just keep looking for transitions in between transitions.

Precisely. Skep; where's the transition between you and your father? I assume there is one? Some half father/half Skep creature?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #328 on: July 31, 2014, 09:19:29 AM »
Ahem...

What I don't understand is that the evolutionists say that all things evolve, but when you ask about crocodiles remaining unchanged for supposedly millions of years, they say "well not everything evolves" or "their environment didn't change."

Really? The crocodiles environment never changed at all in millions of years? not even with the supposed mass dinosaur extinction? Yet, for every other species on Earth, the environment changed? It's like a game of pong back and forth with no real breakthrough.

skep,

It is getting tedious watching you ask basic questions, do no research and then give wrong answers.  I am going to have to insist you earnestly try to find an answer to this question and then report back.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #329 on: July 31, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

Why do you insist on continuing to trot out expectations for a misconception of the Theory of Evolution?

Fossils do not show rapid change, they only show the state a species was at when it was fossilized.  What you are asking for is fossil remains of every individual life form that has ever existed which would be nothing more than an argument from incredulity and ignorance. 

Why do you need to know everything in order to comprehend the Theory of Evolution yet you fully accept the existence of “God” without knowing everything?
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +413/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #330 on: July 31, 2014, 11:46:12 AM »

Do you think you'd be able to make up an example of what a transitional fossil that shows transition would actually look like?

You're not picturing a crocoduck, are you?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #331 on: July 31, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

Do you think you'd be able to make up an example of what a transitional fossil that shows transition would actually look like?

$5 he is.

Please heed Screwtape's warning, Skep.
"God is just and fair"

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #332 on: August 01, 2014, 03:31:44 AM »
Crocodiles did evolve. However, there is still a line of them around that looks superficially similar to the earlier ones. If we wiped out modern crocodiles, the Skep would be forced to see that crocodiles did evolve.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »

I would say that transitional fossil should show some kind of features of the ancestor species and the descendant species.

For example, if a species had 2 eyes and later evolved into a species with 4 eyes, I would expect to see some type of transitional fossil between the two species.

Here's what the fossils show us:

Species A (2 eyes) -----millions of years----------- Species B (4 eyes)
(notice there is absolutely nothing in the middle)

here's what I would expect to see:
Species A (2 eyes) ------Species A.1----Species A.2----etc.---Species B (4 eyes)

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »
You can look at horse fossils. You can see beautifully how the leg bones changed over time. (Basic biology class).
"God is just and fair"

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »
You can look at horse fossils. You can see beautifully how the leg bones changed over time. (Basic biology class).

Just looked it up and then found this page:

http://creation.com/the-evolution-of-the-horse

it appears to not be as "rock solid proof" as you guys think.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2014, 10:42:08 PM »
Get it from an actual science source.

Maybe something unbiased by religion.
"God is just and fair"

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
it appears to not be as "rock solid proof" as you guys think.

In what way? Have you made enough sense of your assignment to educate yourself about evolution that you believe you are ready to make such a claim? If so, demonstrate it rather than just posting a link and saying "nuh-uh".
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »
In what way? Have you made enough sense of your assignment to educate yourself about evolution that you believe you are ready to make such a claim? If so, demonstrate it rather than just posting a link and saying "nuh-uh".

Considering that I am not an expert on evolution, I think it is fair to consult the people who are experts. So, I looked up horse evolution from evolutionists point of view. Then to remain unbiased, I looked up what the creationists had to say about it.

It would be biased if I just took the evolutionist's word for it.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2014, 12:03:14 AM »
Why do you need to know everything in order to comprehend the Theory of Evolution yet you fully accept the existence of “God” without knowing everything?

I do not feel that is a valid question.

Suppose I turned it around:

Why do you need to know everything about God in order to comprehend God, yet you fully accept the theory of evolution without knowing everything?

You wouldn't think that's a fair question, so likewise, I don't think yours is fair either.

We both believe in something that has not been 100% proven, but we each feel our side is about 90% sure.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:05:44 AM by skeptic54768 »

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2014, 12:12:20 AM »

Why do you need to know everything about God in order to comprehend God, yet you fully accept the theory of evolution without knowing everything?

You wouldn't think that's a fair question, so likewise, I don't think yours is fair either.

We both believe in something that has not been 100% proven, but we each feel our side is about 90% sure.
First off, the only pictures of'god' are old paintings of an old dude in a beard and since we don't see hair hanging down from the sky we must assume that's fake or at least I figure it's fake and secondly we have LOTS of examples of evolution to drive the Ken Hamm's of the world far battier than even a Bill Nye video can possibly portray..
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-20
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2014, 01:06:37 AM »
That creation.com page makes several bad assumptions.

First is that the "evolutionary gaps" they point out are meaningful.  For example, they state that only fragmentary fossils have been found of Epihippus, and that those fossils resemble those of earlier species such as Orohippus and Eohippus.  However, this does not in any way suggest that there is an evolutionary gap; it simply means we have incomplete information, which often happens in science.  It may turn out that scientists discover that the Epihippus fossils are actually those of earlier species, yet this will in no way contradict the 'macro'-evolutionary development of hyracotherid species, because the other various species have been clearly identified as different.  In short, an evolutionary gap just means we have less than complete information, and cannot justify discarding evolutionary theory, never mind substituting "created kinds" for it (especially since they provide no real evidence for those "created kinds"; instead, they act as if pointing out problems with evolutionary theory means their favored alternative is correct).

Second, their statement that the monophyly of Hyracotherium has been challenged is true.  This is common in science; conclusions are challenged all the time.  Yet that in no way justifies discarding the overall theoretical framework.  It simply means that they are making more specific and accurate classifications, and does not in any way validate "created kinds".  Indeed, it actually further supports evolutionary theory, as it is not believable that every horse precursor existed in a straight line of descent with no divergence whatsoever.

Third, their statement that early horses have been preserved in the same strata as later horses is probably true.  However, that does not negate evolutionary theory, as there is no reason to conclude that all members of early horse species had died out by the time that later ones had evolved.  In fact, drawing that conclusion is more than a little absurd; it is the equivalent of arguing that a person's family tree consists of a straight line rather than a tree with many, many branches.  It would not be reasonable to claim that your cousins could not be related to you simply because you and they lived during the same time, and so it is not reasonable to claim that horse precursors could not have lived at the same time as other horse precursors which preceded them.

Fourth, they make the standard argument about "transitional forms", specifically with horse teeth (and whether they ate leaves or grass).  However, they give no reason to conclude that these different teeth must have been designed, instead limiting themselves to pointing out that there do not seem to be transitional forms between the two.  But why does there need to have been?  There is no reason to conclude that horses transitioned from eating leaves to eating grass; both of these different teeth could have easily diverged from an earlier, more generalized tooth.  All it would have taken then is for the grass-eating horses to have done better than the leaf-eating ones, causing the leaf-eating ones to slowly die out.

Therefore, their conclusion (that these horse ancestors were completely unrelated animals and that there was therefore no horse evolution) is very poorly supported and does not supplant evolutionary theory despite their efforts to claim otherwise.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2014, 04:45:22 AM »
Skep, I wasn't joking when I asked where the transition between you and your father is, because this is what you appear to be asking for with respect to the evolution of the horse.

Can you state unambiguously in your own words what it is that you fail to agree with with respect to horse evolution?

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2014, 06:19:55 AM »

I am interested to know some of the 10% of the reasons why you think you could be wrong. Can you give a list at least?

The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »

Yet you had to ignore what I said before posing that question in order for you to turn it around.

Why do you insist on continuing to trot out expectations for a misconception of the Theory of Evolution?

Fossils do not show rapid change, they only show the state a species was at when it was fossilized.  What you are asking for is fossil remains of every individual life form that has ever existed which would be nothing more than an argument from incredulity and ignorance. 

You have indeed asked to know everything.  When have I ever asked to know everything regarding "God"?  You know I haven't and are ignoring that you have.  You don't think the question is fair because you don't like the consequences of what it implicates.

I'm not asking you to accept the ToE, only to comprehend what it actually is.

EDIT:  Additionally, you're not asking me to comprehend "God", you're asking me to accept "God".  I can comprehend many concepts or "theory's" of "God".
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:36:12 AM by SevenPatch »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #345 on: August 02, 2014, 01:51:33 PM »

Considering that I am not an expert on evolution, I think it is fair to consult the people who are experts. So, I looked up horse evolution from evolutionists point of view. Then to remain unbiased, I looked up what the creationists had to say about it.

What's the point of quoting my post if your going to ignore what I said? Address my post directly please. Explain what you think the problem is.

FTR, I don't think screwtape was kidding - do you?
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #346 on: August 02, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »

But you chose to source the creationist opinion,why?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #347 on: August 02, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »

a certain percentage of evidence(how much I don't know) versus 0% evidence.... pretty easy to look to the side(evolution) and see the direction it is going......on the other side guys like Ken Hamm....who lie and deflect....why do you choose to be blind?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)