Author Topic: Arkansas town bans pagan temple after finding out it’s not Christian  (Read 441 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Full title: Arkansas town bans pagan temple after finding out it’s not Christian: Your ‘God isn’t my God’

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/18/arkansas-town-bans-pagan-temple-after-finding-out-its-not-christian-your-god-isnt-my-god/

Yes, apparently this is serious. These people don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of "freedom of religion" or "hypocrisy".

Found on AF.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
FFRF will threaten litigation.
Town council will hold firm.
FFRF will sue, win, and be awarded litigation fees and court costs.
Town will go broke (or nearly so); town council blame every non-christian in the US for it.
Christian evangelicals nationwide will scream persecution.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
FFRF will threaten litigation.
Town council will hold firm.
FFRF will sue, win, and be awarded litigation fees and court costs.
Town will go broke (or nearly so); town council blame every non-christian in the US for it.
Christian evangelicals nationwide will scream persecution.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

End result will either be a "cleansing" of all non-christians (violent or just forced exile/emigration), or the end of religious discrimination. If the former, the christians will then destroy themselves and everyone wins, except the christians. If the latter, everyone wins.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Why would FFRF sue? Pagans are not agnostic/atheist.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY

Ummm ... mabe I was thinking ACLU.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37

Ummm ... mabe I was thinking ACLU.

Point is, someone's gonna fight back, and christians are gonna lose their shit.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
Wait, how can they do this? First Amendment has freedom of religion.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
Wait, how can they do this? First Amendment has freedom of religion.

And why you think the law means anything to these people?
EDIT: What even makes you think they've read any of the amendments, or anything, really, about the laws protecting against religious discrimination?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Because when they think religion, they think the only one that counts is Christianity. This is a "Christian nation" after all, so you are free to have religion, as long it is the Christian one!
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
Because when they think religion, they think the only one that counts is Christianity. This is a "Christian nation" after all, so you are free to have religion, as long it is the Christian one!

There's about 40,000 denominations; at least you can't say they're not giving you much choice. &)
We choose our own gods.

Offline TheUnknownWitch

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
What even makes you think they've read any of the amendments, or anything, really, about the laws protecting against religious discrimination?

Oh, they've read them. They just can't believe they apply to any religion other than their own. After all, those other religions worship, not the One True God, but Satan. They may not know they're worshiping Satan, he's got them fooled, but they do, so they aren't really religions at all. The law doesn't apply to them.
If God was going to truly die, no resurrection, would he still have gone ahead and offered himself for a sacrifice anyway?

You have a good heart. . .I think I'll eat it.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Typical small-town ignorance.  Won't last long now that a spotlight's been turned on it.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Typical small-town ignorance.  Won't last long now that a spotlight's been turned on it.

These types of stories are harder and harder to keep local. Bloggers like Hemant Mehta and others get the word out so fast it's mind-boggling.

On the topic of freedom of religion, I have Christian friends who argue that their freedom of religion is being infringed upon if they are not allowed to put the Ten Commandments in all of the courthouses. It's truly bizarre discussing this topic with that mindset. When I suggest that they are embracing the idea of letting all religions do the same thing, they start in with the "Christian nation, Judeo-Christian principles BS.

Sigh.