Author Topic: A Pagan who loves your site [#2812]  (Read 833 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
A Pagan who loves your site [#2812]
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:55:39 AM »
Yes, I am a Pagan and and I do believe there
is a controlling force in the universe that people
label as God. I love Your site, anyway.

Your beliefs are your beliefs and you have as
much right to them as I do to mine. What I like most about the site is the fact that somebody is finally questioning not just Paganism, (I'm used to that) but also the book religions.

BTW, You're wrong about nobody worshiping Zeus anymore. There are still people who do. They are Pagans.

Thanks for the site and keep Questioning and I'll keep reading your posts and blog.

The Unknown Witch
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
Re: A Pagan who loves your site [#2812]
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:52:41 AM »
We don't have a belief in not believing. We just don't have a belief. Simple.

Unless you say strict science is a belief.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
I can take Pagans in a lot of way. I still think their beliefs are silly. I think it is even sillier that (mostly) they came to their belief after having a formed brain as opposed to indoctrination. However, given Pagans are not behind legislation to limit my freedom and hamstring science, and don't purport to love a being that they believe wants to torture people for eternity....no big deal, just silly.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »
Hello Unknown Witch --

Question everything.  Require evidence for your beliefs.  Still, allow some silliness if it gives you peace.

:)
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +339/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
Question everything.  Require evidence for your beliefs.  Still, allow some silliness if it gives you peace.
Allow some silliness if it give you peace and if that silliness doesn't negatively impact the peace of others.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:56:17 AM »
Allow some silliness if it give you peace and if that silliness doesn't negatively impact the peace of others.

Of course.  Personal silliness.  In a peaceful, non treading on others' peace kind of way.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
[MODERATOR'S NOTE: The original letter writer is trying to register for the site, but she is running into some registration glitches, which we've had problems with before.  While the admins are trying to get this sorted out, she has sent this reply to the mailbag address.  Hopefully we'll get this straightened out soon and she can respond here directly.]

Hello,

I am the Pagan who loves this site, AKA The Unknown Witch. The reason I am writing this is because I am having some problems getting registered for the forum and there is something I really would like to know.

I would like your take (criticism) on my religion. I would like to understand not just that you think it’s silly, but why you think it’s silly. And anything else you want to add.

I have been cruising the forum as a guest and I haven’t seen any topics about Witchcraft. It seems to be centered around Christianity. Having had my own problems with fundy Christians, I can certainly understand that, but I’d really be interested to hear you debunk Wicca and Witchcraft and any other of the Pagan religions.

I think I need to explain a little about what my beliefs are. I am not Wiccan. I used to be, but they became a bit to fundamentalist for me. I am a Shadow Witch.

My view of God is this:
God/Dess is not separate and outside the Universe. God/Dess is the universe. All the processes of the universe are part of God/Dess. Each object, man, beast, plant, rock contains a spark of God/Dess.

I have carefully not used pronouns in the previous paragraph because God/Dess is neither male nor female, but contains both genders.  The term God/Dess  is used to indicate the notion of this inclusion of both male and female aspects.

God/Dess is not particularly concerned with the puny little mortals running around on planet Earth. He, She and It are too busy running the Universes to think too much about us. And our tiny minds are too small to encompass the whole of God/dess.

So how do we relate to God? We do this by creating Aspects of God/Dess we can relate to and understand. These aspects are the Gods and Goddesses. That is why there are so many of them. (Yes, Man created God and Goddess in her own image!)

We do not worship them. We respect them (kind of like respecting a tornado) and work with them, but they neither need nor require our worship.

Did God/Dess create the Universe? How could that be since God/Dess is the Universe? Did God/Dess create Itself? Or was there another force at work there? I know someone will ask that question and the answer is, “I dunno.” There are a lot of things about God/Dess I don’t understand.

God/Dess created life using the natural process of evolution. There is too much evidence for it, for evolution to be dismissed. Why would God/Dess not use its own processes to do so?

These are a few of my beliefs. I have no evidence that they are so except for my own personal experiences and opinions and those are not evidence for anyone else. I do not present them as fact, or as something others must believe or face eternal damnation. I simply would like your view on them.

I have to admit that I am too close to this to be impartial. I have been a witch since my early teens and that was almost fifty years ago, so I’d like some level headed outside opinions, Not just someone screaming at me that I’m going to hell. Thanks.

~The Unknown Witch~
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »

I would like your take (criticism) on my religion. I would like to understand not just that you think it’s silly, but why you think it’s silly. And anything else you want to add.

Sorry but, why I think its silly might be hard for you to comprehend. But lets try an use an analogy. Stripping it of the cultural gravitas, wouldn't you find the "bells and smells" aspect of Catholicism, the praying to statutes, the candles blessing of the throat as a ward against disease and so forth part of Catholic rituals, if you thought of them as completely ineffectual...that is going through hoops to attempt to gain favor with the non existent...silly? These are really not far from Paganism.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »
In searching for truth, a couple of questions would be:
....are too busy running the Universes....
Running?  Please Explain.  What needs to be maintained, inspected?   If it is running incorrectly, how and why does a god repair itself? 
....rock contains a spark of God....
God is matter?  God is hydrogen?  God is an electron?  It seems the only reason to say that god is everything, is just to keep the term "god" in language.  Why?
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline TheUnknownWitch

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I am reevaluating my religion and I need an outside perspective. I am to close to the subject to be objective. Please excuse me for not using the quote function in this post. I am not very computer literate and I'll need a little time to work on that. I'll improve, I promise.

I can understand why someone who doesn't believe as I do would think such ritual to be foolish. Personally, I don't think the "bells and smells" aspect of Catholicism is silly. To me they are soothing and make me feel better.

As for Catholic ritual being not far from Paganism, that's not surprising. It was taken from Paganism.

My answer to the questions asked by the second poster replying to this is the Universe and everything in it is equivalent to the body of God/Dess and that spark that inhabits all is the soul of God/dess. Do you not have to maintain your body to keep it in repair and running right.

Yes. God is matter. God is hydrogen. God is an electron. I suppose you could call God by another term, but a rose by any other name is still a rose. I will have to think about this question some more. That's what I like about this forum. It makes you think.

If God was going to truly die, no resurrection, would he still have gone ahead and offered himself for a sacrifice anyway?

You have a good heart. . .I think I'll eat it.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +807/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 03:43:28 PM »
Hello TUW;

Resident black dreadlocked commie mommy here. If you hang around long enough you will encounter some of our more extreme religious folks who will give you a run for your money! I can't wait for you to meet up with skeptic and Lukvance. We will have to protect you from the former's attempts to remotely throw you onto the nearest bonfire, and from the latter's attempts to exorcise your demons with remote splashings of holy water...

Now then.

Firstly, why do you need a supernatural being or force if everything is natural and at least probably explainable by science? That is what I am getting from your post. It seems like you have almost gotten rid of the woo. You accept the explanations of science, you understand how the observable facts support evolution, but you still feel the need to hold onto the idea that "something/someone is out there managing the universe". Why?

Secondly, you sound much like the Christians who tried but cannot find their god in reality, so they have tucked their god down into the tiny spaces of experimental physics....It would be so much more honest to admit the truth: that the god they said was "everywhere" and did "everything" does not appear to exist "anywhere" and does not seem to do "anything". Same thing with your being or force.

Finally, when you try to control or manage the being or force through witchcraft, do you get any physically detectable results besides what is expected by random chance? Like, has witchcraft helped you to grow back an amputee's severed arm? Has it directed tornadoes and wildfires away from your house? Or does it mainly help you find your lost keys and make you feel happy about your life?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-2
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
Quick question before I start, I know you said you don't have evidence, so how can you distinguish this god from nature?
"God is just and fair"

Offline TheUnknownWitch

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 07:18:54 AM »
Sorry it's taking me so long to get back to you. I had a flare up of my arthritis yesterday and my hands were so bad I couldn't type.:'( Had to wait for my meds to kick in.

I am composing my answer to your questions and I'll post it very soon. Thanks for being patient. :D
If God was going to truly die, no resurrection, would he still have gone ahead and offered himself for a sacrifice anyway?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 07:34:46 AM »

I can understand why someone who doesn't believe as I do would think such ritual to be foolish. Personally, I don't think the "bells and smells" aspect of Catholicism is silly. To me they are soothing and make me feel better.

Soothing sure, I find a nice Gregorian chant can be smoothing, but I don't think it contacts the other worldly. It isn't the ritual itself that's silly...its the fact that it is supposed to entreat something outside the tangible that is silly.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
Before you get into the thick of debate here, TUW - welcome.  While, like you say, the debate at WWGHA makes us think, even more important is that the debate leads to allowing atheists to freely walk down streets anywhere, beside Witches and Jews and Pagans and Mennonites and Catholics and Taliban and etc........all becoming enough unsure of their beliefs to respect the other person, who may be happily worshipping a swan in their back yard.
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 08:13:54 AM »
My answer to the questions asked by the second poster replying to this is the Universe and everything in it is equivalent to the body of God/Dess and that spark that inhabits all is the soul of God/dess. Do you not have to maintain your body to keep it in repair and running right.

Welcome to the forum!

There is no evidence backing your answer, if you are saying that God/Dess is an intelligent being. If you are not saying that, and you are just choosing to call "the Universe" by a misleading name, that's just plain silly.

A good place to start is to ask yourself, "Why aren't the greatest modern scientists adhering to paganism and using terms like 'God/Dess' to get their point across and to be certain that they are understood?"
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline TheUnknownWitch

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 08:28:08 AM »
Why does anyone need the idea of a God in their lives? It gives me comfort, it gives me hope and it helped me hang on at a time in my life when I had nothing else to hang on to.

To understand why I became a Witch and why I persist in the practice of Witchcraft today, you have to know a little about my past. My childhood wasn’t exactly conventional. I was raised in a Christian cult.

The extreme Fundamentalism I endured at that time was the pivotal reason I became a Witch. For some reason, telling me I was going to hell to burn forever and ever for chewing gum just didn’t do it for me. And showing how much you loved for me by beating he crap out of me just wasn’t that convincing. This cult was headed by my Grandfather. If he’d had a bit more charisma, he’d have been another Jim Jones. He was one scary guy!

I was dragged around from city to city, preacher to preacher, to all the fundy “hell raiser” revivals to get the devil cast out of me. That’s right. I was demon possessed! I endured many an exorcism. I just couldn’t accept their beliefs and it showed. I thought and behaved so differently form their “norm” they were convinced I was possessed. Hey, one of the Preachers in Memphis actually saw the possessing demon! He was big and blue.

At fifteen, I became a street person after fleeing a forced marriage to a Church member who decided immediately upon our marriage that he must “put the fear of God and man” into me. I ran like hell.

Talk about culture shock! I was so ignorant of normal life that it was as if I were an alien come to Earth. I was adrift with no place to stand and my religion became my anchor. I had nothing else.

It took me a long time to recover from the abuse I suffered as a child. I still have the nightmares. To this day I can’t walk into a Christian church without suffering a violent panic attack.

I have worked through much of the trauma of my earlier years, and like I said, I am reevaluating my stance on religion. I don’t know much about atheism, but I’d like to understand. Who knows? I might find myself embracing it. Stranger things have happened.

Healing. You would ask me about THAT.

Let me tell you about my experience with healing. At the same time I was being carted around to remove ole Satan from my body, my mother was in the market for a healing. Now I can’t blame my mother for this. She’d had five operations for a brain abscess and it left her very damaged. She was completely paralyzed on her left side and she had he cognitive ability of a five year old.

They’d wheel her up front, shake and jive a little bit, then hoist her up out of her wheelchair to shuffle a couple of steps on her own. Well, she did that everyday getting from bed to her wheelchair and back but praise God and pass the mashed potatoes, she was healed! Can yuh say amen! Then we’d go home and I’d push her back into the house in her wheelchair. She was “healed” on the average of once a month all through my childhood.

Of course, it was her fault she didn’t stay healed. She didn’t have enough faith in the Lord. Just like when my Grandmother’s toes rotted off her feet and killed her after my grandfather convinced her that God would heal her if she’d just quit taking her meds and have faith in God.

How I hate that word. Faith. It’s been used to bludgeon me over the head to many times.

As for distinguishing God from Nature? You don’t. God is Nature. That’s why it’s called a nature religion. Right?

Offline TheUnknownWitch

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »
when you try to control or manage the being or force through witchcraft, do you get any physically detectable results besides what is expected by random chance?

People misunderstand exactly what magick is. (Yes, I spelled magick with a k. Witches do this to distinguish it from stage magic and just because we like spelling it that way ;D)

Magick is the art or science of focusing, tapping into, and using the natural forces found within and around us to bring about change.

Magick can only be used to change what is changeable, for instance - it can be used to cure a sickness but not to replace a lost limb.

Why?

Because with magick, it is very hard to go against the natural order. It takes too much energy, like swimming upstream in a raging river. It might be done, but only by a very powerful person. I have never found anyone that powerful. That being said, the results I have had in my magickal practice have all been subjective.

I've had some pretty startling results, as when I helped a guy do a love spell and within a week, he had three stalkers following him around, all convinced he was their one and only. I warned him what would happen but he didn't believe me. I don't offer that as evidence, though. It could have been just a coincidence. 

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 09:59:08 AM »
Welcome, TheUnknownWitch. I am the One Above All, one of two resident gods in this forum. We will meet again shortly, after I finish a game for the third time in a row.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline TheUnknownWitch

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes. They are much appreciated. I figured out the quotes function. . .I think. So here goes.

We will meet again shortly,

Was that a threat or a promise? ;D

It isn't the ritual itself that's silly...its the fact that it is supposed to entreat something outside the tangible that is silly.

I got that. :laugh:

the debate at WWGHA makes us think, even more important is that the debate leads to allowing atheists to freely walk down streets anywhere, beside Witches and Jews and Pagans and Mennonites and Catholics and Taliban and etc........all becoming enough unsure of their beliefs to respect the other person, who may be happily worshipping a swan in their back yard.

I agree totally.

There is no evidence backing your answer, if you are saying that God/Dess is an intelligent being. If you are not saying that, and you are just choosing to call "the Universe" by a misleading name, that's just plain silly.

I said flat out that I have no concrete evidence that what I believe is true. I admit freely that my beliefs arise from my own the experiences and opinions. if my calling the Universe God seems silly and misleading in your opinion, well, that's your opinion.

A good place to start is to ask yourself, "Why aren't the greatest modern scientists adhering to paganism and using terms like 'God/Dess' to get their point across and to be certain that they are understood?"

Maybe because scientists are afraid of being thought of as "silly"?
No, honestly. I think that it never occurs to them as a possibility. And scientists are not always right.

http://www.sciencechannel.com/strange-science/10-science-mistakes.htm

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +807/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about the awful sh!t your people put you through. >:( :( :'([1]

No wonder you ran in the opposite direction and embraced what those people rejected! Makes perfect sense in terms of your healing process. However, you may now be in a position to see how much of what you believe is true.

We have another member here who endured severe abuse and is kind of on your anti-Christian "the entire universe is god" wavelength. She may not be able to question that too closely. You may be strong enough to do it.
 1. I had some similar but not as extreme experiences as a JW kid. My father (violent, alcoholic, con artist, religious fanatic) could have been a cult leader, too, but he was just too crazy to get followers. If my mother had not packed us into her car and driven across the country to escape him, I have no doubt he would have eventually sacrificed us all to Jehovah God.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline TheUnknownWitch

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about the awful sh!t your people put you through.

Sometimes I have spells of feeling sorry for myself. :'( Then I'll hear or read stories of people who have endured far worse than I have and I quickly get over it.

"If you can't be grateful for what you've got, at least be grateful for what you've escaped." ;D

However, you may now be in a position to see how much of what you believe is true.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I became a witch at a very young age, at a time when I was extremely vulnerable. I had to learn how to be human, because I wasn't. The only emotion I had access to was rage. All the things I should have learned as a little child, like love and caring, I had to learn later. And it was very, very hard. But I did it.

I realize that I was emotionally vulnerable when I became a witch and maybe not very logical minded. If I am to continue being a witch, I want it to be because I have thought it all out and truly believe in my religion, not because of a sense of desperation.

That's where I find myself at this point. In re-examining my belief system, I am hoping that the criticisms and insights the people here have will help me gain a new perspective.

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-2
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »
Ahh, sorry to hear the difficulties of your childhood.

Good to hear you're strong again.  ;D

But I'll just go ahead and warn you; we look for evidence. I know know, you already said you don't have any, but the fact of the matter is that does not excuse you from the burden of proof.

We literally cannot believe you until you prove it, beyond a reasonable doubt using science, that your god is existent outside of your imagination.

Your god concept gives you comfort? That's great. But that does not make it any more real than an imagined imaginary friend, if you can't prove it.

Hope we have good discussions.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:14:20 PM by Defiance »
"God is just and fair"

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum, TheUnkownWitch. Your story puts me in mind of what two other women on this site have shared. Both junebug72 and LoriPinkAngel, like you, have endured horrific events and refuse to be beaten by them.

Some theists here, like OldChurchGuy, readily admit they don't have what we atheists would consider verifiable evidence of their god-belief. As long as they don't try to impose those beliefs on others or blatantly violate forum rules, I have no issue with them.

I wish you well in the re-evaluation of your faith. Hope to see you around the forum for awhile.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 05:15:52 AM »
Hi there TheUnknownWitch.  Welcome.  I'm JB the local spiritual but not religious freak. 

I've known some good Wiccans.  There have been a few sketchy ones dabbling in the dark magick.  Dark magick is why I don't prefer Withcraft.  It's a lot like satanism; is it not.?

I believe in God and leave religion alone.  I am not atheist.  I am spiritual.  I am humanist.  I am Naturalist.  I am theist.  There is no dark side of being spiritual not religious. ;)  I don't believe in magick or supernatural things.  The only demons that exist are the ones mankind create so mankind doesn't have to accept responsibility for their actions. 

I look forward to talking to you.  Don't get me wrong now.  I think you are a cool chic.  I just don't think religion of any kind is a good thing.

I like Pagans better than Christians at least the good ones like you.  Not those that try the dark magick.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 05:32:58 AM »
Aww thanks wright.  I sure did appreciate your support.  I think we should point out.  That LPA lost her faith in God, she "was" a Christian, as many people do.  I don't judge her, I commend her.

I kept my belief through my trial.  It helped me through.  I am not Christian I am only spiritual.  I detest religion.  Religions break the promises it makes of their gods all the time then blames the individual for not having enough faith.  Oooo that pisses me off.

We both have had positive results.  She is more happy as an atheist.  I feel I got closer to God.  Either way we both denounce religion of any kind and that is our common link.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 06:52:41 AM »
Sorry to hear about the awful sh!t your people put you through.

Sometimes I have spells of feeling sorry for myself. :'( Then I'll hear or read stories of people who have endured far worse than I have and I quickly get over it.

"If you can't be grateful for what you've got, at least be grateful for what you've escaped." ;D

However, you may now be in a position to see how much of what you believe is true.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I became a witch at a very young age, at a time when I was extremely vulnerable. I had to learn how to be human, because I wasn't. The only emotion I had access to was rage. All the things I should have learned as a little child, like love and caring, I had to learn later. And it was very, very hard. But I did it.

I realize that I was emotionally vulnerable when I became a witch and maybe not very logical minded. If I am to continue being a witch, I want it to be because I have thought it all out and truly believe in my religion, not because of a sense of desperation.

That's where I find myself at this point. In re-examining my belief system, I am hoping that the criticisms and insights the people here have will help me gain a new perspective.

I can't believe the suffering of others makes you feel better.  That's sad. :'(
Thomas Paine

Offline TheUnknownWitch

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 08:14:36 AM »
I can't believe the suffering of others makes you feel better.  That's sad.

That isn’t what I said. What I said was, when I start feeling sorry for myself, I think about the people who have had it so much worse than I have and I get over my self pity. I would never take joy in the suffering of others.

But I'll just go ahead and warn you; we look for evidence. I know know, you already said you don't have any, but the fact of the matter is that does not excuse you from the burden of proof.

Yes, I know that. Anything I claim as fact must be backed up with solid, concrete evidence. At least I don’t have a holy book to point to and say this is true because this book says so. ;D

I've known some good Wiccans.

I am not a Wiccan. I used to be, but when they started being so fundamental and insisting I follow their path or else, I left. Being told karma was going to bite me in the ass and that I might be reincarnated as a mangy old rat if I didn’t follow their path was a bit too much. It was all very. . .Christian of them.

Here is a quote from my website on this subject.
. . .how about this? Why not do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do? Not because you’re afraid of Karma coming back to haunt you. Not because you’re scared of divine retribution or because of a list of laws your religion insists you follow or else.

Most importantly, stop insisting that your path is the only right path to God. There’s a name for people who do that. We call them Fundys. ~The Unknown Witch

Dark magick is why I don't prefer Withcraft.  It's a lot like satanism; is it not.?

You don’t have to practice dark magick to be a witch. . .unless you follow that poor pitiful spinoff the Christians thought up. Witchcraft has nothing to do with Satanism. And Satanism is not exactly what most people think it is either.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 09:13:05 AM »
Why does anyone need the idea of a God in their lives? It gives me comfort, it gives me hope and it helped me hang on at a time in my life when I had nothing else to hang on to.

One could say the same about drugs