Author Topic: Has the Catholic Church ever disclosed its total wealth?  (Read 196 times)

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
Has the Catholic Church ever disclosed its total wealth?
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »
Churches take in large amounts of donations....are they ever required to account for it?

Do they disclose it to national governments in a yearly tax return?

Do they ever disclose it to their membership?

Are they required to ever do this?

It seems like if an organization claimed to be working for God, that they would disclose detailed information about where it's money is and what they are doing with the money, so that others could learn by example what God wants people to do with money. 

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Has the Catholic Church ever disclosed its total wealth?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »
It says here (http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,833509,00.html) that the Vatican has 10-15 billion USD. That's just an estimation, though.

Off-topic: For some reason, the Vatican's urinals are shaped like this:

I think they're trying to send a message.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »
This article, however, says US Catholic Church spends $170 billion annually:
<snip>

I saw that, but I was only including what they have. Bill Gates has also spent billions, but that doesn't mean they're his. You (or someone else) must pay rent, right? Does that mean that the money they spent is theirs? No; quite the opposite: once they've spent it, it's no longer theirs.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »
Well, then I think their membership needs a precise, detailed accounting of all the money the church spends, since the source is their donations.  Some money goes to rent, utilities, maintenance, etc. no doubt. But how much goes to lawyers who try to intimidate victims of abuse into recanting their testimony? How much goes toward paying prostitutes and drug dealers and guns and ammunition and bribing, I mean donating to, politicians?

$170 billion in spending in one nation is a lot of money and would likely affect the economy for even non-church goers as well. I think everyone in the nation should have a right to know, especially since churches benefit from the public infrastructure, and yet get special tax breaks.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
Funny hey they have a ton more money than any drug cartel,and a way higher total body count,but for some reason are seen as the good ones.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)