Author Topic: Building Human Organs With 3-D Printing  (Read 168 times)

Offline shnozzola

Building Human Organs With 3-D Printing
« on: June 16, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
Dr. Sangeeta Bhatia has big ideas about her work with tiny organs. Using 3-D printing and human cells, she’s created a miniature liver — the size of a pinhead — in her lab at MIT that can be used for testing drugs.

Dr. Sangeeta Bhatia:
"There’s actually a wonderful old myth about Prometheus, who stole the fire from the gods, and his punishment was than an eagle, which was Zeus, would eat his liver every day, and every day, the liver would grow back. And so in the liver field, since that time, since the 8th century B.C., we knew the liver could regenerate and it doesn’t need a stem cell, and in fact, if we cut 50 percent of the liver out, it’ll be back in two weeks.”

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/06/16/organs-3d-printing
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Re: Building Human Organs With 3-D Printing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »
Don't see this working since the printed liver will be inorganic.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »

*sigh*...
3-D printing and human cells
What would be the point of creating an inorganic organ for testing drugs?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »

*sigh*...
3-D printing and human cells
What would be the point of creating an inorganic organ for testing drugs?

That is what I was getting at. Since it is rather complex, trying to envision what part of the liver is created with the 3D printing.

Edit -  this might give more of the necessary details: http://www.organovo.com/tissues-services/3d-human-tissue-models-services-research/tissue-models/3d-human-liver-tissue-model

And this: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244884/The_first_3D_printed_organ_a_liver_is_expected_in_2014
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:56:05 PM by Airyaman »

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:22:22 PM »
That is what I was getting at. Since it is rather complex, trying to envision what part of the liver is created with the 3D printing.

...What?

Edit -  this might give more of the necessary details
<snip>

None of those links mention "non-organic tissue". I'll ask you again: what would be the point of transplanting a dead "organ" to a person who needed a live one? And how would you test the effects of drugs on living tissue without living tissue?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
I was going with what I do know about 3D printing, which has previously been with inorganic materials. The article did not go into depth that the material used for the printing was the cells. The added links explain it much better than the original article. Are you wanting to argue just to argue? You need to get a hobby.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
As a clarification, I do not mean inorganic in the strictest chemical sense, since most are polymers and such, but we generally don't think of plastics as something that is a replacement for living tissue.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:47:56 PM »
I was going with what I do know about 3D printing, which has previously been with inorganic materials.

True.

The article did not go into depth that the material used for the printing was the cells.

"using (...) human cells" wasn't specific enough? :S

The added links explain it much better than the original article.

They do expand on the issue more, but the article posted by shnozzola had the necessary information to make your question moot.

Are you wanting to argue just to argue? You need to get a hobby.

If you had said something like "I didn't read the article properly, so I didn't find the reference to human cells" and "I was wrong about the liver being inorganic" instead of the nonsensical first sentence (which I replied to with a "What?" and which you still haven't explained) and a couple of links that seemed to be aimed at me and not links where you learned that you were wrong, I wouldn't have needed to argue.
Are you wanting to be purposefully confusing just to spark an argument? You need to get a hobby.

As a clarification, I do not mean inorganic in the strictest chemical sense, since most are polymers and such, but we generally don't think of plastics as something that is a replacement for living tissue.

Human.cells. Not inorganic. Human living tissue. It said so in the quote by shnozzola. I quoted it at you. You posted two links that said the same thing. Yet you keep insisting on it. Why?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
The article linked in the OP was not really too specific on the technology. It said "Using 3-D printing and human cells", which is not quite as clear on the overall process of creating tiny livers. The second link I provided was much more clear in that the human cells was the material used for printing:

"Like other forms of 3D printing, bio-printing lays down layer after layer of material -- in this case, live cells -- to form a solid physical entity -- in this case, human tissue."

Really, that's what they whole mix up for me was at first. From what little I know of 3D printing, most to this point use polymers as the printing material. I was then going with this, because the original article was not all that clear, and then trying to envision where in the process the human cells came into play. Again, the two links I provided cleared it up for me.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »
I can already hear Christians yelling "Zombies!"
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.