Author Topic: The origin of the Universe and atheism.  (Read 1691 times)

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • Darwins +0/-1,000,000,000
Re: The origin of the Universe and atheism.
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »
Are you still trying to construct your straw man? Try super nails and super glue.
Super glue is no match for stonewalling.
Are you a hatheist?  (hey-thee-ist)

A person who vocally hates on religious individuals, often criticizing such persons for being uneducated hillbillies.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +318/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »
It's kind of sad that I (as a theist) have to lecture you guys about this simple meaning of "atheism".[1]

When there is a statement "I am atheistic about certain religion but I am a theist", this statement itself is self-contradictoty and misconstrued.

Being atheistic means one has ZERO belief in ZERO number of deity.  It does NOT mean denying the existence of certain god/s or anti belief in certain god/s.  It simply means NO belief or lack of belief in any god/s or deity/s or supreme being/s.

So if I rephrase the statement, it's like saying "I have zero number of apple but I have one apple".

Hopefully that helped if not, I am sorry I think I have exhausted all I have on this elementary level subject.
 1. Lack of belief in god/s
Well the important thing is that you've responded to the salient points of kcrady's post and not focused on some minor semantic detail that is essentially impertinent to the crux of arguments and propositions.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »
Well the important thing is that you've responded to the salient points of kcrady's post and not focused on some minor semantic detail that is essentially impertinent to the crux of arguments and propositions.
I agree with you but there is more to human discussions than just the crux of arguments and propositions.  Kcrady outright called me "strong atheist" which wasn't true and was kind of insulting.
If I ever called one of you guys "hatheist" with no base, what would happen? would our sensible discussion continue?

A person who vocally hates on religious individuals, often criticizing such persons for being uneducated hillbillies.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »
Kcrady outright called me "strong atheist" which wasn't true and was kind of insulting.

Only if you go out of your way to misunderstand what he said.

For someone who makes it a point to be provocative, you sure are sensitive.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +318/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
I agree with you but there is more to human discussions than just the crux of arguments and propositions.  Kcrady outright called me "strong atheist" which wasn't true and was kind of insulting.
If I ever called one of you guys "hatheist" with no base, what would happen? would our sensible discussion continue?
So...he didn't outright call you a strong atheist.  He had all kinds of qualifiers in there - the scare quotes, the words 'in respect to' and 'except', etc.  Why are you simply dismissing those qualifiers?  You're right - there is more to human discussions than just the crux of arguments and propositions, but I find it funny that you're the one claiming that while simultaneously being so overly pedantic about the discussion as to effectively halt conversation on the relevant parts of a post.

You being insulted at the notion of being a strong atheist is sorta telling by the way.  I would disagree if someone thought I was a theist, but I wouldn't really be insulted by the notion.  I would disagree if someone thought I am a homosexual, but I wouldn't really be insulted by the notion.

What would happen if you called my a 'hatheist' without further qualifiers?  I may disagree with it, but I wouldn't really be insulted, but then we'd agree to disagree on that (perhaps after a short bit of back and forth) and then we'd move the f*ck on to the salient points of discussion.

Congratulations, you're being overly pedantic for no reason, and you know what?  Whatever.  Fine.

Now start addressing the points in kcrady's post that actually have some relevance to the actual topic at hand.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »

I am not sure if you are IGI member, but I am far less sensitive there because when I (as a theist) say something provocative to make a point, I get applauded instead of the other way around here (if not banned).

Maybe I need more time to hang around here if I don't get kicked out just like last time.

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
Now start addressing the points in kcrady's post that actually have some relevance to the actual topic at hand.
Okay Dawg.  But I don't hardly get internet access until Monday.  So sayonara ~~

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »
An hatheist.
Is that someone who lacks a belief in "straw" (Hay-theist), or the god of straw. Or is it a term to call a god-botherer (Hey theist)? Or is it a robbery at a milliner's (Hat-heist)
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2014, 02:01:52 PM »

I am not sure if you are IGI member,

No. I lurked a bit and ultimately dismissed the site as petty and childish. I heard Maggie left and started her own little echo chamber though.... I ought to go find her and see how she's doing. Does she actually permit anyone else to post, do you think?

but I am far less sensitive there because when I (as a theist) say something provocative to make a point, I get applauded instead of the other way around here (if not banned).

......so, what? This isn't IGI.

You respond well to being applauded, which more or less means you're like most people, but you get offended when you get smacked down, which more or less means you're like most people. The only real question is why you are choosing to hang out in a place that by your own reasoning you are deliberately provoking people, then complaining about them being provoked when they respond to your provocation by smiting you.

Maybe I need more time to hang around here if I don't get kicked out just like last time.

I rather doubt it. Your style is off-putting.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +21/-96
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »
Quote from: Jag
No. I lurked a bit and ultimately dismissed the site as petty and childish. I heard Maggie left and started her own little echo chamber though.... I ought to go find her and see how she's doing. Does she actually permit anyone else to post, do you think?

She lets me post.  In fact, she made me an admin.  But I did hear she ran some people off while I was absent for an extended time so I don't know much about that other than a lot of other people left at the same time, mostly everyone.  Currently she's actually been MIA for about three weeks and noone knows why.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10