Author Topic: why does god give children lukemia and polio etc?  (Read 181 times)

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
why does god give children lukemia and polio etc?
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:33:16 AM »
Nothing happens without gods plan so why?
Signature goes here...

Offline johnrain

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: why does god give children lukemia and polio etc?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:30:48 AM »
many theists will say the fall of Man brought about all these diseases and maladies.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:34:30 AM »
We are mortal. 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »
Sure Junebug, we're mortal, but it still doesn't address the question.  Why would God do this to CHILDREN?  Again you have to go back to the fact that roughly 10 million children under the age of 5 die every year in the world.  What exactly is the point of them being born, then wiped out before they've made any real memories or had a chance to live?  Meanwhile, there are others that reach age 100 and live very fulfilling lives in prosperous areas.  Also, the latest statistics indicate that around 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage (in the United States, a country with awesome medicine and doctors).  Why exactly would God do that?  You excite a couple by creating a pregnancy - then like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown right as he's about to kick it, you take it away?  In 1 out of 4 cases in a highly developed nation that professes God (and primarily Christ)?  I've added a link that backs this claim.  There are 4.4 million pregnancies per year in the U.S, and around 1 million of them end in miscarriage. 

So does this speak to randomness, or a plan?  Just about everyone on this board would probably say randomness, but if it's a plan, it needs to be explained better than "God is mysterious but just." 

http://www.hopexchange.com/Statistics.htm

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »
It is sad no doubt about it.  I don't think it is part of any plan.  I think it's an extremely sad part of nature. 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline El Guapo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »
There is definitely a random factor to disease and (more largely mortality), but I would suggest that (increasingly) there exists calculated factors as well.  These would mostly fall into 3 categories; genetics, environment and habits.  All three have random and calculated elements to each:

As an sperm/egg/zygote/fetus/infant/child you personally do not have a say as to the genetic material which you inherent from your parents, the conditions under which you were conceived/live or the lifestyle habits and risks (eating, exercise, chainsaw juggling) of your family.  These then could be considered random (the hand you were dealt as it were).    However as an adult, you increasingly are able to control these determining factors.  Presumably, you will make decisions which prolong your own mortality or which maximize the health of your offspring (stopping smoking, losing weight, moving away from nuclear reactors) and you make conscious (i.e. calculated) decisions regarding who is desirable to partner with and combine genetically.

No where in any of this would I see the omniscient, guiding hand of a higher being intervening and making decisions about disease or miscarriages or who is going to have access to health care or . . . . anything.

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
Further to this question; why did Biblegod design our teeth so that they can give us excruciating pain, when for most of creation's existence there was absolutely nothing people could do about it.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »
I'll add - why would God create us so that our windpipes are critical to both our swallowing and breathing, making it possible for us to choke to death?  That's an example of poor design - another would be the enlarging of the prostate.  That can squeeze the urethra and cause enlarged prostates, trouble peeing, etc.  I know, TMI.  But if those go untreated, it can lead to serious problems, including prostate cancer.  But similar to what Ron Jeremy pointed out with teeth, nothing could be done about it.  So for every "the human eye proves God" argument, you can counter with terrible design.  You show me the banana as proof of God and how easy it is to peel, and I'll show you the coconut.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 08:11:46 PM »
And an Appendix.
Seriously, it just sits there. My friend had to get an operation when e got appendicitis; an appendix filled with toxins and ready to blow up inside.

Because of that, the operation left him unable to pee for nearly two days, because the necessary drug to perform the operation put his nerves to sleep. Retarded non existent god.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 08:15:16 PM »
Because of that, the operation left him unable to pee for nearly two days, because the necessary drug to perform the operation put his nerves to sleep.

I assume you mean pee voluntarily, right?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »
It is sad no doubt about it.  I don't think it is part of any plan.  I think it's an extremely sad part of nature.

So what then is the role of the various gods in "nature"?
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
Because of that, the operation left him unable to pee for nearly two days, because the necessary drug to perform the operation put his nerves to sleep.

I assume you mean pee voluntarily, right?
Yes, they had to stick a tube into his urethera to force the pee out. He definitely didn't enjoy it.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »
Yes, they had to stick a tube into his urethera to force the pee out. He definitely didn't enjoy it.

I understand.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.