Author Topic: Faith vs Skeptism  (Read 57 times)

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +69/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Faith vs Skeptism
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
As I grew up, it was generally taught to me that being "skeptical" was sort of a negative, doubting quality, while being "faithful" was a positive, honorable quality that is always rewarded.

Faith is defined:
: strong belief or trust in someone or something
: belief in the existence of God : strong religious feelings or beliefs
: a system of religious beliefs

Skeptism is defined:

:  an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object
:  the doctrine that true knowledge or knowledge in a particular area is uncertain
:  the method of suspended judgment, systematic doubt, or criticism characteristic of skeptics
:  doubt concerning basic religious principles (as immortality, providence, and revelation)

So in what parts of our life does it reward us to be faithful vs skeptical?

You might need to have faith that a surgical team is going to do the best job possible for you, though the outcome isn't for sure, you hope for the best.   But this makes the most sense to feel that way after getting a few opinions and checking out the record and reputation of the surgical team.

Based on statistics and survivor stories, surgical team A saves 98% of their patients undergoing a dangerous procedure and they recover relatively quickly, most within six months.   Surgical team B saves 40% of their patients and has been sued multiple times, most of their claims of quality are refuted by surviving patients.

By being skeptical first, you can conclude your best bet is to put your hope or faith in Surgical Team A.

You asked questions, got satisfactory answers, and made the best choice.   Skepticism precedes hope or trust or if you want to call it faith.

But if you couldn't ask the questions or get good answers, how could you tell the difference between surgical team A or B?   They'd both make similar claims.

When we question ancient religious claims, it seems that none of them stand up or are answered in a provable verifiable way.

A skeptical approach to Christianity shows that prayer has no provable results, the bible is full of problems, and there's no evidence of god.  So how could I put faith in "surgical team Christianity"?

We apply skepticism in every other important choice in our life... why not with religion?   If it's true, why does it need to be different than every other true thing?
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.