Author Topic: Christians; Why Does The Bible Need Metaphors?  (Read 232 times)

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Christians; Why Does The Bible Need Metaphors?
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:19:29 AM »
The bible as I understand it is Biblegod's 'Manual For Living'. Why does it need metaphors? This seems to only complicate things resulting in some Christians taking a literal view of Genesis for example and some thinking it is metaphorical.
Aircraft engineering manuals do not use metaphors because that would leave the way open for 'interpretation' and consequently smoking holes in farmer's fields. I'm not aware of medical textbooks using metaphor. Examples yes, metaphor no.

So Christians, please state an instance in the bible where a clear instruction or fact could be improved upon by removing the clear instruction or fact and replacing it with metaphor. Feel free to quote biblical metaphors where a clear cut instruction or fact would not suffice.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Christians; Why Does The Bible Need Metaphors?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:21:45 AM »
The Bible can't be improved, Ron Jeremy. It's already perfect.
Or so christians claim. Either that or:
The Bible cannot be changed, as it is the word of G-d. Every word in English is exactly the same as the original Bible, even though there's no such thing.[1]
 1. This last sentence will be implied; not stated outright.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:27:11 AM »

Then I look forward to reading water tight explanations of how metaphors just have to be used instead of clear cut facts  :)
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:36:32 AM »

Then I look forward to reading water tight explanations of how metaphors just have to be used instead of clear cut facts  :)

I'm sure the arguments will be perfectly perfect, without a single fallacy or inconsistency in them. &)
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline GoatMan

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
The book of Hosea is a metaphor that highlights God's love. What communicates love better? Saying I really really really..... really love you and quantitatively having more "really"s. Or do actions speak louder than words and so God orchestrates a real life analogy of how much He loves aka the book of Hosea. That's just one example, there could be plenty more (dying on a cross is one more) but id say in general love is better communicated via metaphor as opposed to cold calculated precise statement.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »
The book of Hosea is a metaphor that highlights God's love. What communicates love better? Saying I really really really..... really love you and quantitatively having more "really"s. Or do actions speak louder than words and so God orchestrates a real life analogy of how much He loves aka the book of Hosea. That's just one example, there could be plenty more (dying on a cross is one more) but id say in general love is better communicated via metaphor as opposed to cold calculated precise statement.

Actions are not metaphors. They are demonstrations of emotions. If you need to express a metaphor through your actions, you're not communicating very efficiently.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +375/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:38:30 AM »

Yes, actions speak louder than words.

You realize that metaphors are still words, right?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »

Yes, actions speak louder than words.

You realize that metaphors are still words, right?

Shhhh....it's a secret.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »

I'm no expert on the book of Hosea, but from what I understand; Biblegod is pissed because some Israelites have stopped worshipping him and are instead worshipping Baal and breaking Biblegod's orders. Biblegod has two main options here from what I can see;

Option 1. Appear in front of the Israelites to remind them he still exists, show a Bluray on a massive screen detailing exactly what he's done for Israel and why they should worship him. Explain clearly why they have to go through shitty lives and what he'll do for them when they die.

Option 2. Persuade some bloke to marry some poor woman who has been given a bad reputation by men in the hope some people will see this as a metaphor for how much He loves the Israelites. Have the first born son named after some valley in the hope that people would understand this was a statement about His feelings for some kingdom. Persuade them to have a second daughter and her name will be a metaphor for how He likes some people and doesn't like others (although none of this is very clear and open to the old 'interpretation'). Then persuade them to have another child who's name is meant to be interpreted as some other message.

Yes. Yes I can see how Option 2 would be the best way to pass a message. *Rolls eyes*