Author Topic: Why does skeptic54768 dodge me?  (Read 442 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
Why does skeptic54768 dodge me?
« on: May 23, 2014, 11:43:37 AM »
Aren't my questions important too?  Does the bible not say love each other, do unto others?  I wonder if he likes to be dodged.

What are your thoughts on the subject?  Do you think he is afraid of little ole me? :angel:

edit; misspelled name; punctuation
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:46:36 AM by junebug72 »
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
Re: Why does skeptic54768 dodge me?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »
Is it against his religion to talk to an abomination like me, he said; "I loves the gays"?   Where is my love. :'(

Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
Aren't my questions important too?  Does the bible not say love each other, do unto others?  I wonder if he likes to be dodged.

What are your thoughts on the subject?  Do you think he is afraid of little ole me?

I wouldn't take it personally - on the nearly ten years (yikes!) I've been on this forum and it's predecessor, I'm struggling to recall more than a couple of times when two believers of different types have seriously engaged with each other.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
I don't take it personally.  It just leads me to believe his religion ain't working.  :laugh:

I just want to... well I better keep that to myself. ;)  Okay I'll tell you;  SHAKE SOME LOVE INTO THAT HEART OF HIS.  Man I feel better. 8)
Thomas Paine

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +59/-0
  • I shall smite thee, in HIS honor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
Don't stress about it, he hates everyone equally.

It's YOUR god, it's YOUR rules, YOU go to hell.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

"Noah's ark is a problem. We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon, only way to fit 5000 species of mammal in the same boat."
- River Tam

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:42:31 PM »
Thanks Natlegend.  I guess you're right.
Thomas Paine

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »
Two people debating irrational beliefs always looks stupid. at. skeptic knows that.
Signature goes here...

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 05:15:02 AM »
Two people debating irrational beliefs always looks stupid. at. skeptic knows that.

My beliefs are not irrational.  They have served me incredibly well.  They make me happy.  Happiness is not irrational.  It also makes the people around me happy and super duper loved. 
Thomas Paine

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-403
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »
What/why do you feel I am dodging?

By all means, please use this thread to ask me questions, Junebug.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »

My beliefs are not irrational.  They have served me incredibly well.  They make me happy.  Happiness is not irrational.  It also makes the people around me happy and super duper loved. 

I just want to note that being useful/making you happy/making others happy/whatever, and being rational are not the same. Yes, rationality can be useful and make you happy. But so can irrationality.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »

I just want to note that being useful/making you happy/making others happy/whatever, and being rational are not the same. Yes, rationality can be useful and make you happy. But so can irrationality.

How can being irrational make you happy?
Thomas Paine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »

It's an "ignorance is bliss"-type thing. Look at people who believe themselves to be better than everyone else on every issue imaginable. They are irrational. Look at theists who believe their god is loving, but also sends people to be punished forever for finite (often minor) transgressions. They are irrational. Yet their beliefs make them happy. The first people look at others and think "Well, I'm better than that. I would never do what he/she did in that situation. What an idiot!". The second kind feel good about having discovered the secret to not being tortured for eternity, even if it's by kissing an imaginary being's ass.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
Ask someone that finds happiness in religion. To jb's last post.
Signature goes here...

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »

It's an "ignorance is bliss"-type thing. Look at people who believe themselves to be better than everyone else on every issue imaginable. They are irrational. Look at theists who believe their god is loving, but also sends people to be punished forever for finite (often minor) transgressions. They are irrational. Yet their beliefs make them happy. The first people look at others and think "Well, I'm better than that. I would never do what he/she did in that situation. What an idiot!". The second kind feel good about having discovered the secret to not being tortured for eternity, even if it's by kissing an imaginary being's ass.

I don't think those folks are happy.  They sound miserable to me.  Happy folks aren't mean.  They want to share happiness not destroy it. 

That's why I have the opinion that atheist aren't happy.  Christians aren't happy.  The spiritual but not religious folks; they are happy.  Even through terrible tragedy the SBNR's are still happy, loving and kind.  They're beliefs are solid as a rock.  That includes the spiritual atheist.
Thomas Paine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 07:22:46 AM »
I don't think those folks are happy.  They sound miserable to me.  Happy folks aren't mean.  They want to share happiness not destroy it. 

That's assuming they're happy and good. Some people are only happy spreading misery wherever they go.

That's why I have the opinion that atheist aren't happy.  Christians aren't happy.  The spiritual but not religious folks; they are happy.  Even through terrible tragedy the SBNR's are still happy, loving and kind.  They're beliefs are solid as a rock.  That includes the spiritual atheist.

Yeah... no. I'm not blissfully happy; I have some times when I'm sad, and sometimes I get angry, but, ultimately, I'm happy. I have friends, I have had romantic relationships. I have written over 30 stories (some of which I don't like). I have learned. I have solved problems I didn't think possible. I have listened to music (some good, some bad). I have met people from all inhabited continents on Earth. I have met people from various fields (astronauts, computer whizzes, librarians, government workers, military, doctors, chefs, artists, students, and even hackers). I have helped people.
I have also done things I don't like. I've been burned (minor burns, but still painful). I've been held back at school (or, more precisely, kept from advancing). I've traveled (no, I don't like to travel). I've met people whom I didn't like. I've nearly died on three separate occasions that I can recall right now. I've had people I consider(ed) friends and family tell me some pretty distasteful (to say the least) things. I've had my heart broken on several occasions. I've hurt people and other living beings in ways I won't describe because I don't like to think about them.

Ultimately, I consider myself happy.
We choose our own gods.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 07:45:42 AM »

That's assuming they're happy and good. Some people are only happy spreading misery wherever they go.

Yeah... no. I'm not blissfully happy; I have some times when I'm sad, and sometimes I get angry, but, ultimately, I'm happy. I have friends, I have had romantic relationships. I have written over 30 stories (some of which I don't like). I have learned. I have solved problems I didn't think possible. I have listened to music (some good, some bad). I have met people from all inhabited continents on Earth. I have met people from various fields (astronauts, computer whizzes, librarians, government workers, military, doctors, chefs, artists, students, and even hackers). I have helped people.
I have also done things I don't like. I've been burned (minor burns, but still painful). I've been held back at school (or, more precisely, kept from advancing). I've traveled (no, I don't like to travel). I've met people whom I didn't like. I've nearly died on three separate occasions that I can recall right now. I've had people I consider(ed) friends and family tell me some pretty distasteful (to say the least) things. I've had my heart broken on several occasions. I've hurt people and other living beings in ways I won't describe because I don't like to think about them.

Ultimately, I consider myself happy.

That's not happiness they're feeling.  It's hate and disgust.

I'm glad you're happy.  Doesn't that make you want to make other people happy?  Is it only your happiness that matters to you?
Thomas Paine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 07:52:27 AM »

Trust me; it's happiness.

I'm glad you're happy.  Doesn't that make you want to make other people happy?  Is it only your happiness that matters to you?

I am, according to definition, a cynic. I believe all human actions are selfish by nature. There are two kinds of selfishness:

1 - Selfishness the person performing the action is not consciously aware of
2 - Selfishness the person performing the action is consciously aware of

Most "selfless" human actions fall under category #1, but all human actions fall under either category. Yes, I want to make other people happy, but because it makes me happy. It makes me happy that they're happy. It'd make me unhappy if they were unhappy. Same goes for you and every other person on or off the planet. I'm willing to bet same goes for every sentient life form in this and any other universe.
We choose our own gods.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »

Trust me; it's happiness.

I'm sorry One I can't agree.  They're miserable and they want every body else to be miserable too.  Come on now.  It's okay to agree sometimes. 

edit spelling
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:00:33 AM by junebug72 »
Thomas Paine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 08:01:22 AM »
I'm sorry One I can't agree.  They're miserable and that want every body else to be miserable too.  Come on now.  It's okay to agree sometimes. 

Sociopaths are quite happy with spreading misery. So are sadists.
We choose our own gods.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
I'm sorry One I can't agree.  They're miserable and that want every body else to be miserable too.  Come on now.  It's okay to agree sometimes. 

Sociopaths are quite happy with spreading misery. So are sadists.

I wouldn't call that happy.  More like inflated ego.  That's not true happiness.  Happiness is kind and generous.  It does not hurt others.
Thomas Paine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »
I wouldn't call that happy.  More like inflated ego.  That's not true happiness.  Happiness is kind and generous.  It does not hurt others.

Again, you're conflating happiness with goodness. They are not the same.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »
Paddling was legal where I lived in Florida in public schools. There was an administrator at the junior/middle school went to who took pleasure in paddling children. The limit was 10 with a witness, she did it more than 10 times when a witness wasn't present. I was in her office a lot for innocuous things and all punishments by her were paddling. She got pleasure from it, you could see it in her eyes. It made her happy to inflict pain on children, and when they made it illegal to paddle kids in public schools she moved to the private school system because it was still allowed there. We called her "devil lady" because she always wore red, and her car was red (which was vandalised often).

I don't know if she's still alive today but if she is it would make me happy if she dies horribly.

I had a principal in elementary school who took pleasure in paddling children; it wasn't his statement of, "This is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you." which he said right before paddling, no, one knew he took pleasure in paddling based on his paddle, which he had specially made, it had holes in it, and was quite thick so when he swung down it would have ultimate impact to be extremely painful for the one being paddled. He kept it in a wooden dartboardesque case on his wall next to his award of "Principal of the Year".

I found out with him that anyone who says what he said before a paddling is actually quite happy and content in giving others pain. They live for it.

When I found out he died, I replied, "Good." which made me come off uncaring and cruel. They didn't know the man like some of us did.

Whether it made them "happy", or it just gave them some satisfaction for a bit of time, I don't know nor care but what I do know: they got pleasure from it.

-Nam
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 11:33:42 AM by Nam »
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 09:29:49 PM »

Again, you're conflating happiness with goodness. They are not the same.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one, One. ;)
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 09:42:54 PM »
Paddling was legal where I lived in Florida in public schools. There was an administrator at the junior/middle school went to who took pleasure in paddling children. The limit was 10 with a witness, she did it more than 10 times when a witness wasn't present. I was in her office a lot for innocuous things and all punishments by her were paddling. She got pleasure from it, you could see it in her eyes. It made her happy to inflict pain on children, and when they made it illegal to paddle kids in public schools she moved to the private school system because it was still allowed there. We called her "devil lady" because she always wore red, and her car was red (which was vandalised often).

I don't know if she's still alive today but if she is it would make me happy if she dies horribly.

I had a principal in elementary school who took pleasure in paddling children; it wasn't his statement of, "This is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you." which he said right before paddling, no, one knew he took pleasure in paddling based on his paddle, which he had specially made, it had holes in it, and was quite thick so when he swung down it would have ultimate impact to be extremely painful for the one being paddled. He kept it in a wooden dartboardesque case on his wall next to his award of "Principal of the Year".

I found out with him that anyone who says what he said before a paddling is actually quite happy and content in giving others pain. They live for it.

When I found out he died, I replied, "Good." which made me come off uncaring and cruel. They didn't know the man like some of us did.

Whether it made them "happy", or it just gave them some satisfaction for a bit of time, I don't know nor care but what I do know: they got pleasure from it.

-Nam

Thanks for sharing Nam.  I still don't think that's happiness they feel.  Some sick twisted pleasure yes, happiness no. 
Thomas Paine

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 03:35:56 AM »
  I still don't think that's happiness they feel.  Some sick twisted pleasure yes, happiness no.

Perhaps it would be useful if you defined "happiness" in a way that would specifically exclude Nam and OAAs examples?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 04:48:57 AM »
That's good advice.  I'll work on it.  You always define me better than I do myself.  I would not be offended if you wanted to try.  I got surgery today.  I've got to get ready pretty soon.

There's someting wrong with a person that gets joy from other's pain.  I think we call them psychopaths.  I am talking about non mentally ill people. ;)

Thomas Paine

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +320/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »

junebug72 -

As per the topic of this thread, perhaps the reason that skeptic54768 dodges you is that your questions/posts to him get lost in the shuffle of threads that he participates in?  You've certainly got his attention in this thread now.  If his behavior really is dodging, he won't be able to hide it here.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »

Because you do not respond to my posts to you. 

Why must you believe in a cruel God?  I wish you would read the article in my thread "God Hates Religion".  That's what all these hateful rules and stories come from; religion.  I will never believe they come from God.  I love God very much whether real or not the concept has been very helpful to me.

I am living proof that every thing you say is wrong.  You make these people believe less than they did when you got here.  You are not helping.  You are the kind of Christian that just makes the whole thing disgusting.  Ever heard of Martin Luther King.  Maybe you should listen to some of the things he said. 

“Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy.
Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.
Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all of God's children. Now is the time to lift our nation from the qu icksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.”

? Martin Luther King Jr., I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World

It is time you give us gays the same liberty and justice your race deserves.  I have always supported equality for all.  It's time you do the same.  America stands for equality and freedom for all.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »
  I still don't think that's happiness they feel.  Some sick twisted pleasure yes, happiness no.

Perhaps it would be useful if you defined "happiness" in a way that would specifically exclude Nam and OAAs examples?

Happiness is not achieved on the outside it is achieved on the inside.  It does not need material things all it needs is love.  Not love from others love from yourself.  Hateful actions like spankings fulfill a sick mind not a healthy one.
Thomas Paine