Author Topic: FINALLY, the impetus I needed!!  (Read 186 times)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
FINALLY, the impetus I needed!!
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »
I've been telling myself "Man, I need to get in shape" for YEARS.  now, I believe I finally found the impetus to start, for realsies.

A couple years ago, one of my karate brothers and I had the great good fortune to train with Professor Bill Chun--just the three of us.  It was a great experience, Prof. Chun is a remarkable martial artist and an outstanding teacher (he was a student of K. S. Chow).

this past week, we got an invitation to another seminar to be held in October, with Chun, and with Thomas Mitose, son of James Mitose, the man who brought Kenpo to the USA (via Hawaii).

I refuse to embarrass my school by showing up to this seminar in my current condition.  Let the training commence!!!  i'm totally jazzed.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
Re: FINALLY, the impetus I needed!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »
Good for you! :)

I wish I had the same level of motivation... back in high school when I studied Tae Kwon Do under Master Hosoo Hwang, I was in the best shape of my entire life.

Unfortunately, three separate cracked rib episodes and a broken breastbone forced me to give up my training. :-\
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
I used to practice martial arts as well. Got pretty good and fought in some tournaments, back in the day. Now, arthritis has me sidelined from most impact exercise. Any theists out there who want to pray away my arthritis, feel free to try.  ;)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:19:54 PM »
And while they're at it, I could use a little divine intervention to tame my tummy in time for bikini season.

<--- Body by Big Mac. :-[

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »
I could put rocks in my bowl for each of you, hehe.  Since I quit praying I have a bowl with a little rock that represents each person I want to send encouragement or positive juju to. I rattle them now and again.  I know it is hokum but it makes me feel better.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
I don't care if it's hokum, it's sweet and kindhearted.  :angel:

It certainly helps me to know that someone else cares when I'm having a hard time, so it's not without genuine emotional value. Sometimes, that's a huge lift.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
Jag is so right on this, Lori. <huge virtual hug>

If I could borrow one of those rocks, though... there's a certain red-headed high-calorie clown from fast food hell I want to whiz it at. ;)

Tempt me not, you peddler of fatty foodstuffs! >:(

The fries are yummy, though. :angel:

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »
Just think about how bad you feel right after you eat that stuff!  :P
That often keeps me away from the fast food loaded with carbs-- I feel so lousy after I eat it.

As for the rocks in the bowl, always cool to be thinking nice thoughts about people. That is how I actually feel about people's generic prayers for me. I try not to be the kind of atheist who makes snide remarks to well-meaning people. I just attended a funeral where I had to endure more free-floating Christianity than I have sat through in a long time...

I have a Muslim friend, (a sweet lady from Iraq who has suffered more than any human should) who kisses me on the cheek and says, "I will pray for you," whenever we say goodbye. I always say, "Thank you!" She, of course, has no clue that I am an evil infidel who will burn in hell, and, since I have spent several hours each week helping her out with her young son, I have no intention of telling her!

BTW, this morning I woke up with worse arthritis pain than I had last night! Theists, you can stop praying for my arthritis now. Your god is just having a laugh at my expense... ;)

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »
A few years back I actually went cold turkey on all fast foods (burgers, hot dogs, fries) for six, whole months after seeing the documentary "Food Inc." (both because of the abhorrent treatment of livestock and the unsanitary conditions of industrial meat packing plants). I swear, not only did I drop 15lbs in a little over a month's time, my cognitive abilities actually improved.

Unfortunately, the combination of going through a rough time financially and the fact that I drive for a living lured me back to the drive-thru dollar meal menus. :-\

BTW, this morning I woke up with worse arthritis pain than I had last night! Theists, you can stop praying for my arthritis now. Your god is just having a laugh at my expense... ;)

Just yesterday I stubbed my toe walking in to my bedroom. The first thing that went through my mind was "Goddamned than f@%$ing Lukvance". :D

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
I took a free three day course of karate when I was 10 years old. That was enough for me. Four years later I was 6'1" and weighed 210 pounds; there was no need for self defense after that.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »
I could put rocks in my bowl for each of you, hehe.  Since I quit praying I have a bowl with a little rock that represents each person I want to send encouragement or positive juju to. I rattle them now and again.  I know it is hokum but it makes me feel better.

I too am guilty of that particular kind of woo.  Since I was a little kid I've loved pretty rocks, and back when I lived in Montreal and went to the Dow Planetarium with My family we'd stop at the souvenirs and I'd bring home a sample of something -- Iron pyrite, rose quartz, volcanic rock.  Last time I heavily engaged in New Age-type collecting, before I came to My senses[1] I amassed about 15 pounds of semi-precious stones and kept them in a huge glass bowl.  I've since downsized, giving away over half the collection to a friend who also likes pretty rocks, but in My living room I have a smaller bowl with the best of the best.

Getting back on topic, fitness is an ongoing struggle as I get older.  I have knee and foot problems, including arthritis in the mid-foot that makes walking painful, so a stationary bike or swimming are really My only viable options for long sessions of aerobics.  I am working a bit with body-weight exercises like pushups and squats, and just fitting sets in wherever I can during the day.  (I work at a desk job, and stretch breaks are strongly encouraged.)

The problem comes when I compare Myself to how I was 20-30 years ago, when I was super-active with martial arts, yoga and weight training.  I know it's a grossly unfair comparison, because that way of life was flippin' insane - Training 6-7 days a week didn't translate into improved quality of life, as most of the time I was too tired to find time for other things I wanted to do.  It's all about finding a balance, challenging yourself at a reasonably high level without wreaking havoc on body or mind.
 1. Or, more accurately, attempted the journey but haven't quite gotten there yet.  :laugh:
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »
I too am guilty of that particular kind of woo.  Since I was a little kid I've loved pretty rocks, and back when I lived in Montreal and went to the Dow Planetarium with My family we'd stop at the souvenirs and I'd bring home a sample of something -- Iron pyrite, rose quartz, volcanic rock.

My younger sister and I go every year to East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil show held in Springfield, MA. She's big in to collecting quartz and amethyst while collect geodes ("nature's lottery tickets"!) and lately Labradorite (it's like a rainbow trapped inna rock!) :)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »
Rocks are the sh!t.

I wanted to be a geologist for a while, and then realized that all my rock-loving hippie friends were going to have to sell their souls to Exxon. So I went into a related earth-scienc-y field instead.

Geologists either teach geology or find oil. The geologists who teach are pretty happy campers, except when they tell us that we are in the path of dangerous hazards, screwing up the earth and ruining the climate, nobody listens to them. :o

The geologists who find oil make way more money, are paid to travel all over the world, and still get to do science.[1]But they have to live in guarded compounds in Indonesia, Nigeria or Saudi Arabia, and cannot associate with the local people, who want to kill them. Plus, they have to pretend that they don't believe that fossil fuel use contributes to the aforementioned ruining of the climate.  :-X

Geologists who work for oil companies must feel like those clergy who don't believe in god.  :?

But rocks are still the sh!t.
 1. Using all those scientific methods of dating rock layers , etc., so ably debunked by the likes of skeptic.... ;)

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
Rocks are the sh!t.

I'm sorry, but could you speak in plain English? I'm not fluent in that highfalutin lingo you brainy-type geologist use. ;D

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
It's all about finding a balance, challenging yourself at a reasonably high level without wreaking havoc on body or mind.

Well that's the thing, innit?  Back in college I was fencing 3+ nights a week and practicing karate on the side.  Now...I sometimes practice karate.  But over the weekend I started my first worktouts.  And I decided to keep myself motivated by, when I started to flag, say to myself "Is *this* how you want ot represent your school to Chun and Mitose?!?!"  that was all I needed to get going again.

I was SO EFFING SORE Sunday night/Monday morning that I could hardly sleep.  It hurt to turn over in bed.  Looking forward to continuing workouts tonight.  Maybe my son's baseball game will be rained out so I don't have to wait until 8:30 PM to start...
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces