Author Topic: The cave digger  (Read 85 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
The cave digger
« on: May 18, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
Another form of art, really. A combination of sculpting and architecture, perhaps?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-cave-digger-hewing-art-from-the-very-landscape/

From the linked article:
His plan is not only to carve, but paint these sandstone walls, creating what he hopes will be a healing retreat -- a community gathering place, complete with a waterfall: "Half this room is going to be a pool, and there'll be seating around the bottom."

At 67, he'll be well into his 70s before he shares this cave with the world.

He hopes those who come here will find in its solitude what Ra Paulette already has: a sense of peace, and purpose.

"If there was one simple thing you wanted people to take away from being in one of your caves, what would it be?" asked Cowan.

"At least a moment, or a length of time in which they had a deeper feeling and deeper understanding of themselves, and life," he replied.

Made me think of these lines from Tolkien's The Two Towers, where Gimli the dwarf is describing a beautiful cave system:
"... There are columns of white and saffron and dawn-rose, Legolas, fluted and twisted into dreamlike forms; they spring up from many-colored floors to meet the glistening pendants of the roof; wings, ropes, curtains as fine as frozen clouds; spears, banners, pinnacles of suspended palaces! Still lakes mirror them; a glimmering world looks up from dark pools covered with clear glass... There is chamber after chamber, Legolas, hall opening out of hall, dome after dome, stair beyond stair; and still the winding paths lead on into the mountains' heart."
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: The cave digger
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:10:42 AM »
For some reason I find his work unsettling. I've never had any similar reaction to a piece of artwork before.

But thanks for sharing.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: The cave digger
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:33:09 AM »
My reaction was the same as magicmiles's. There is no doubt that the work is quite remarkable and, were I in the area, I would definitely want to visit the places. It's difficult to imagine the number of cubic yards that he removed and there is a beauty in the quality of the light and the airiness of the dwellings to the extent that it seems a pity to call them "caves".

I don't know if it is me, but there seems to be something desirable and atavistic about the idea of living in a well-equipped cave, but the images and designs in these are weird.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”