Author Topic: Free Speech  (Read 170 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Free Speech
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »

My favorite quotes:

"I'm shaking my head because people don't have the right to express the way they feel if it offends somebody else."
"You can't say what you feel without being persecuted if it doesn't go along with mainstream. You are gonna be pegged."

Both of these ladies are working two sides of the same coin, spaggin' it.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Free Speech
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
I didn't watch the clip but my 14 year old son had this to say about this Michael Sam kiss: "The straight players don't make a point of showing off kissing their partners, why should he?"
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
I stopped at 4:54. That old lady knows nothing but of her self-imposed, Christian-based bigotry. The blonde sitting to the left of her, as well. The other two seemed somewhat more intelligent.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
I didn't watch the clip but my 14 year old son had this to say about this Michael Sam kiss: "The straight players don't make a point of showing off kissing their partners, why should he?"

Bullshit. I've seen plenty of sports players that were straight kissing and hugging their girlfriends or wives after something that was a big deal to them.

Especially in NASCAR. If there was a gay NASCAR driver that kissed his boyfriend/husband then that's going too far, only straight people can do that. Hell, I see in baseball games all the time guys adjusting themselves. If a gay guy adjusted himself it'd probably be all over FAUX NOISE on how innapropriate it was.

If you're heterosexual: you can do just about anything you want but if you're gay, well....

-Nam
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:53:32 PM by Nam »

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
Haha what sorry TV show is this? The blonde girl and the middle just gets up and leaves? I guess she is oppressed for not being allowed to discriminate against people and aint gonna stand for it no more!
I love everything about this stupid clip. They claim you can't speak out on things that offend you but yet here they are doing it. Then they get mad when come to find out everyone else disagrees with them and tells them to STFU. It seems to me that they are a bit shocked when they find out that they are the only ones offended by gays and now feel the need to be defensive when accused of being a bigot. When once upon a time it was ok to talk down about gays and gay rights. And only one of them seemed to pick up on the idea that ESPN is a corporate entity that can do whatever they want, show what they want, and decide what they want people to say while representing their corporation. It's like that Duck Dynasty old fart and A&E all over again.
I was going to post Drew Breeze super bowl celebration where he kisses his wife and hangs out with his baby but that seemed like over kill. The blonde made a point that the gay football player hype was all about making "news." I somewhat agree with her. Homophobic individuals seem to think this is news worthy. So for her and her ilk it is a story that seems worth following. Everyone else sees an openly gay football player who was predicted to be drafted... well... get drafted....  End*
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:39:25 PM by G-Roll »

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »
Okay, I watched the rest. The older lady at the end asked, "Why can't she say wants to say..."

She can say what she wants to say but others have the right to respond to it whether in favor or against.

-Nam

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
People like this seem to believe that freedom of speech somehow exempts their own speech from being analyzed by others. They are wrong. It works both ways. If you say stupid homophobic shit, then you're going to be treated like the stupid homophobe you are.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
People like this seem to believe that freedom of speech somehow exempts their own speech from being analyzed by others. They are wrong. It works both ways. If you say stupid homophobic shit, then you're going to be treated like the stupid homophobe you are.

There are still churches in Florida, and other places in the south that have some quip about homosexuality being a sin on their church signs (some quite derogatory) yet that older woman thinks those signs, and the array of abortion billboards going up and down I-75/turnpike in Florida, a billboard that showed Obama in the last election with the world trade centers being hit planes[1], and a plethora of other things that many would find negative done by Christians (or other religions) as actually being "positive" things.

A man kissing a woman in her eyes is positive. A man kissing a man or a woman kissing a woman (in a sexual/romantic way) is negative in her eyes. What she, and those that think like her, which is a lot of people, are right and everyone else is wrong.

They believe in freedom of expression, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedoms a plenty but only if they abide by their point-of-view of how things ought to be.

That's not freedom, and they just don't understand why it isn't.

-Nam
 1. implying he's a Muslim and no better than those Muslims

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »
<snip>
They believe in freedom of expression, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedoms a plenty but only if they abide by their point-of-view of how things ought to be.

That's not freedom, and they just don't understand why it isn't.

Indeed it's not and indeed they can't. I don't know if it's religion or their IQ that makes them this way. Maybe both cause the other. Maybe it's a birth defect (brain damage and such).

-Nam

-One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »
If a basic course in civics were required in schools the discussion of the Constitution would/should enlighten future adults as to what the Constitution says and when/where it applies.

I'm always amazed how people will invoke their right to free speech in situations that do not involve the government. Many think the First Amendment allows them to walk into their bosses' offices and tell them to go fuck themselves. Somehow, they know not to do that but think they have the right to do so.

Of course, the outrage is always against something they don't like rather than something important. The unmitigated hypocrisy of saying that you don't have the right to express the way you feel if it offends somebody else is the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sure she didn't have any problem expressing herself against gays 30 years ago even though the gays were offended. The tables are turned. It's social schadenfreude.

When the other one said you can't say what you feel without being persecuted was more draw-dropping schadenfreude.

These ladies were on a show broadcast in Dallas, Texas.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »

Bullshit. I've seen plenty of sports players that were straight kissing and hugging their girlfriends or wives after something that was a big deal to them.

He doesn't really watch much sports.  He's still at the stage where he pretty much thinks all PDA is gross.  I think his point is their job is to play a game not make out regardless of who they're making out with.

Hell, I see in baseball games all the time guys adjusting themselves. If a gay guy adjusted himself it'd probably be all over FAUX NOISE on how innapropriate it was.

Frankly, I find all that adjusting to be a little much.  Especially when they do it so much they leave a dirt stain on the front of their pants.  Seriously?

It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »
I don't like it either but it's understandable. I adjust myself daily.

;)

-Nam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »
Seeing as how the thread is now hopelessly side-tracked with a discussion on adjusting jock-straps, one of the better cricket stories I know is a batsman who was facing some very hostile bowling (just YouTube " Dangerous cricket bowling" to get an idea). He was getting hit all over the body for about an hour, and finally play finished for the day and he walked off battered and bruised. In the change room he slowly removed his protective gear and reached down his pants to remove his protector (called a 'box' in cricket). Realised it wasn't there and he was lucky to still be a candidate for fatherhood. The next day play resumed, the very first ball he faced hit him right in the groin and smashed his box in two.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 05:50:27 AM »
Not exactly. Body movements are a matter of free speech. Flying the finger is the most prominent example.

Lori, if you were a man and you had those assets constantly moving around between your legs, you would appreciate the need for periodic adjustments. Freeballing under a kilt is the best way to go but such a garment is not sufficient to provide protection in the sport of baseball. Also, the lack of acceptance of kilts in certain circumstances is a violation of free speech -- to quote our host it's not mainstream.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 09:55:35 AM »
Did you here about the high school where all the kids wore skirts to school one day to protest a transgender kid being attacked for wearing a skirt?

By the way I think kilts are attractive on an attractive man...   :-*

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Berkeley-High-School-Students-Wear-Students-to-Honor-Sasha-Fleischman-231140321.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:07:06 AM by LoriPinkAngel »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
"The straight players don't make a point of showing off kissing their partners, why should he?"

Because the straight players do not need to make a point.  They have not been harrassed, beaten, arrested, killed or made to feel ashamed for kissing their partner.  The straight players have had that right/ privilege all along.  Gay people have not.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »
"The straight players don't make a point of showing off kissing their partners, why should he?"

Because the straight players do not need to make a point.  They have not been harrassed, beaten, arrested, killed or made to feel ashamed for kissing their partner.  The straight players have had that right/ privilege all along.  Gay people have not.

I guess my son doesn't quite get this.  He has always had gay people in his life.  He has not been taught that being gay is something to defend, it's just something different than being straight.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
^ funny.  tolerance almost backfires.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.