Author Topic: Jesus Rocks  (Read 246 times)

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
Jesus Rocks
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »
Anybody on FaceBook willing to challenge these individuals on the historicity on the Jesus character?

I have to chuckle when anybody claims to know anything about the alleged person of Jesus.

https://www.facebook.com/JesusRocksVenturesInc
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Jesus Rocks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »
Man, they have a hard-on the size of Florida for Bono.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
Ya, glomming onto any celeb who mentions Jesus/God.  Pfft

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
Facebook has become so idiotic these days, I wouldn't even know how to send them a comment.

Well, I've inserted my oblique comment on their front page; assuming I know how to even work Facebook, which is not a given.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:16:09 PM by Add Homonym »
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »
Facebook has become so idiotic these days, I wouldn't even know how to send them a comment.

True that.  I just had a "friend" say:  "We just made the ferry - thank you Jesus!"  Colossal stupidity.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
If you can figure out how to engage them on the topic of historicity, ask them who is to be the arbiter of the debate, and how they can verify any of their conclusions. I prefer an arbiter who has, at the outset, a view against theirs. The alternative is that they be the final arbiter of all their statements; in which case I will go and eat pie.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »
Do they actually purport to accept the historicity of Jesus?  If I assumed that they mean that Jesus is an exemplary character from literature that people should strive to be like, it doesn't seem to change anything they say regarding Jesus.

I'd wager[1] that if you were to somehow start a conversation with these people, you'd quickly get into "Jesus is real for certain definitions of real" territory and never get out.
 1. a negligible amount of money
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »
They certainly seem to be promoting far too much love and joy to be left alone. I hope you dampen their fire, but quick.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 04:22:37 PM »
About

We don't believe in Religion, but JESUS totally rocks! We LOVE arranging rock, rap & other music concerts that embrace a fresh, new sound...

Mission

We BELIEVE there is HOPE. As long as the poet writes, the artist paints, the singer sings and the dancer dances, there is HOPE. We the created CREATE, tattooed with the image of the One who is irresistibly drawn in headlong pursuit of us. We are the object of an unquenchable LOVE and cannot help but express that in every LOVE song we write. Whether singing, painting or dancing we overflow with the JOY and WONDER of discovering what real LOVE is. God is MAGNIFICENT...and as His most prized creation and we DISOCVER that LOVE we will be transformed from Glory to Glory.

Description

We represent a LOVE so strong, so evident and so determined to see a different world: One in which everyone is FREE to be who they have been CREATED to be. We say we don't believe in religion...and we don't, but we DO BELIEVE in the religion of LOVE...perfectly expressed in JESUS. Welcome to a REAL experience with Jesus: put old perceptions behind you and discover MAGNIFICENCE.

Bolded mine.

From the bolded (and the picture of the church they show) I'd say they are protestant Christians who believe that Jesus is Biblegod (NT), and are Creationist (OT), and they, like many Christians use contradicting statements (don't believe in religion but in "religion of love[1].) to express their point. "Hope" is in place of "Faith" but to them, I feel, means the same thing.

How are they not religious?

This seems to be the new trend lately. Even my mother says she's not religious yet she identifies as Southern Baptist/Baptist and if it were possible she'd go to church every Sunday, and do everything a Christian does in Christianity but believes that Christianity isn't a religion (I think she got that from one of the plethora of Christian books she has) but she believes in Jesus as the son and father.

How is Christianity not a religion?

-Nam
 1. through Jesus Christ their Lord (god) and Saviour who created them
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
^^^  I think it's due to the desire to distance themselves from all of the negativity of "religion".  I still remember the nonsense that was drilled into my mind as a teen - that it's "not a religion, it's a personal relationship with jesus christ".

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 04:28:53 PM »
^^^  I think it's due to the desire to distance themselves from all of the negativity of "religion".  I still remember the nonsense that was drilled into my mind as a teen - that it's "not a religion, it's a personal relationship with jesus christ".

But the Bible says it's a religion (James 1:25-27; 1 Timothy 5:3-5). Sounds more like they are attempting to distance themselves from the Bible--which is always good.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
Damn.

Before clicking on the link and then on another, if offered, I would have bet at least $10(USD) to win $1(USD) that Bono was not a Christian. I probably would have assumed atheist or deist but not what I just fucking heard.

And this looks like an older Bono. I can't believe it.

I love U2, but I'm not one to follow every inch of every life of celebrities that I admire. Thanks for posting. I continue to get educated at WWGHA.  :)
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »
Ya gotta remember that Bono & Co. is  from Ireland, where - forgive me for generalizing Nam - it's kinda Catholic, and that Catholicism is woven into their culture.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 05:29:22 PM »
I always had the impression Bono was an egotistical douchebag[1]?

-Nam
 1. don't get me wrong, U2 as a whole has some great songs but I'm talking about an individual, not the group though I did like him in "Across the Universe"

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 06:01:24 PM »
Ya gotta remember that Bono & Co. is  from Ireland, where - forgive me for generalizing Nam - it's kinda Catholic, and that Catholicism is woven into their culture.

Not only that, he's a rock n roll musician, and we all know they just go with the flow, not questioning the world they grow up in.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 06:07:44 PM »
Not only that, he's a rock n roll musician, and we all know they just go with the flow, not questioning the world they grow up in.

How dare you generalize all Rock 'n Roll musicians!

;)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
They certainly seem to be promoting far too much love and joy to be left alone. I hope you dampen their fire, but quick.

I find that people who are against Anthropogenic Global Warming, also have a positive up-beat message about the human spirit.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 12:14:41 AM »
Well if you meet one of those people in the street I sure you hope bail them up and tell them you disagree with their views. In a severe tone of voice preferably.

That's assuming you get out much.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:34 AM »
Well if you meet one of those people in the street I sure you hope bail them up and tell them you disagree with their views. In a severe tone of voice preferably.

There is a difference between forum and blog comments and real life, Giles, I hope you realise that.

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +63/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 02:02:28 AM »
I always had the impression Bono was an egotistical douchebag[1]?

-Nam
 1. don't get me wrong, U2 as a whole has some great songs but I'm talking about an individual, not the group though I did like him in "Across the Universe"

There's a story, that when U2 were playing in Edinburgh Bono gave a little speech before the gig started. He began clapping his hands in a slow rhythm and said "Every time I clap my hands a child in Africa dies."

A lone Scottish voice from the audience shouted back; "Well stop f*cking doing it then..."
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.