Author Topic: A neat video comparing star sizes  (Read 93 times)

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
A neat video comparing star sizes
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »

I love the music played, too.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: A neat video comparing star sizes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 01:18:07 AM »
My sun's bigger than yo- Oh... Wait... No it's not...
Why don't they say "Jupiter (Without rings)" like they did with Saturn? It's an insult to those of us who know Jupiter has rings! Just very dark ones...

Seriously though, that last star is huge. Still nothing compared to a quasar, though, which, according to what I've read, can be the size of a galaxy. Also, I recall reading that there were ~300 billion galaxies in the known Universe, rather than "just" 100 billion. What's up with that?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
I think the video is about 5 years outdated, which might be the reason for lowballing the number of galaxies.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 05:45:31 AM »
When my sons were small, I made the planets of the solar system out of polystyrene/styrofoam balls and hung them on the ceiling of their rooms from the bulb outwards. The size of the balls was on one scale and the distances between them on another, otherwise Pluto (which was a planet then) would have been in another county.

At one stage I thought that I might make the sun to the same scale as the planets, but worked out that the model would have taken over most of the house.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”