Author Topic: the old site?  (Read 188 times)

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
the old site?
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:17:17 AM »
What happened to it.
why did it stop
where is it
who still remains
Signature goes here...

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +660/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: the old site?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:08:41 AM »
What happened to it.

First, for reasons unknown to me, it was locked and this forum was created.  It could still be viewed, however. 
Then, for reasons unknown to me, it was suddenly inaccessible altogether.  It could be that the site owner deleted, move, or made the database file inaccessible by other means.

why did it stop

I don't know.

where is it

Where is a wave after it breaks on the beach?  Where is the laughter of a child after you hear it?  Where is the unmatched sock after the laundry is done? 

who still remains

all of us.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »
Well who is the owner, i did not know it was.possible to own a forum on the internet.

the owner could do the same again here. i would be devastated., all this knowledge and resources lost. isn't that major disrespectful to just delete everything without reason or warning.

lets kill the owner.
Signature goes here...

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »
Well who is the owner, i did not know it was.possible to own a forum on the internet.

What? Do you think forums are free domains, or something? Brain is the owner.

the owner could do the same again here. i would be devastated., all this knowledge and resources lost. isn't that major disrespectful to just delete everything without reason or warning.

That's the pleasure of being an owner. When this originally (old site) went away, other atheist websites popped up. If this goes again others will pop up again.

lets kill the owner.

Idiot.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
Ha, to the age old WWGHA question. Just browse this version of the forum a little bit more and you'll find a shit ton of threads about the future of it. On a near yearly basis something new pops up with the forum and everyone wonders about its fate, but it always comes back. It's almost as if God is answering our prayers for its return.  :)

But why kill the owner? He's forking over good money for a site he hasn't updated in a while and a forum that is running a very outdated version of SMF (RC4 2.0 is very old but none of the admins can do anything about it). As one of the older forum members said a while back, it's his (Marshall Brain, the owner's) playground. He just walked away from it and probably has the domain registration on auto-renew when he could just close it down completely and save a few bucks a year.

There was probably nothing deleted. The folder that contains the old forum is probably on the server but it's just not accessible to anyone. A password might have changed. Permissions for that folder might have changed. A lot could have happened to cause it to not be accessible. It just happens.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +660/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
possible to own a forum on the internet.

How do you think they come into being?

the owner could do the same again here. i would be devastated.

Yep.  But you'd get over it.

all this knowledge and resources lost.

Let's not get crazy.  We had 4 threads on tulpas going at once.  So I think it is debatable just how much knowledge and resource we have here.

isn't that major disrespectful to just delete everything without reason or warning.

It depends how you look at it.  If you wrote the rather considerable content of a website, paid to have it registered, along with the forum that goes with it, you might be inclined to think it is your property and can do with it as you wish, with or without warning.

lets kill the owner.

No, let's not.  He pays for us to play here for free.  To act as if he owes us anything is entitled, douchey, and disrespectful.  But suggesting killing someone is illegal. 

If you ever suggest killing or even hurting anyone else on this fourm again, you will be banned.

Please note, the green is my Admin voice.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
Apologies for last remark. it was hyperbole.
Signature goes here...

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »

No, it was just stupid.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »

I thought it was funny and I'm sure others did, but need to be squeaky clean when it comes to forums and even a joking reference to violence.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »

I thought it was funny and I'm sure others did, but need to be squeaky clean when it comes to forums and even a joking reference to violence.

That's irrelevant. One is not to make such violent remarks to staff; as the owner, even though he's probably never been here, he's still a part of staff as the owner.

Now, if you're thinking me a hypocrite because of comments I've made in the past my comments were suggestions, or implications but never of staff, and eh's comment was direct, inclusion of us all, whether hyperbole or not, is irrelevant based on that.

-Nam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »
It would only be irrelevant if I excused the comment on the basis that I found it funny. But you'll see I added my own caution against making such comments. The comment was funny to me, so I applauded that humour. Just like sometimes I applaud comments for being well written, even if I disagree with the message.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »
Not sure what else to do than clarify and apolgise. nam what do you want from me?
Signature goes here...

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:08 PM »
The old forum was put on ice for various reasons: forum software was out of date and impossible to upgrade without severe pain, security structure was not reversible, trolls had caused severe upheaval and the forum began looking like a bad neighborhood in West Baltimore:

The old forum was made read-only so as to not confuse visitors with two active forums. The old forum is still there but I believe the owner clicked the wrong option and disconnected the database. It's likely a file sitting on the server for eternity ... or until the credit card expiration date arrives.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »

A very strange comment.

Yes, his prerogative -- just like a tornado blowing your house away.   Shit happens.

lets kill the owner.

What is wrong with you?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.