Author Topic: Satan getting frostbite: Pat Robertson decries Young-Earth Creationism  (Read 474 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
It would appear that the 700 Club has finally caught up with St. Augustine...

I think Mr. Robertson would probably still balk at accepting the reality of a universe billions of years old. But I'm more interested in how he intends to reconcile this new stance with his acceptance of YEC in the past... I'm sure he'll find some way of weaseling out of actually admitting he said something different.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/pat-robertson-says-you-have-be-deaf-dumb-and-blind-believe-young-earth-creationism
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
He's old.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline IAmFirst

It's possible the senility is taking over for Pat. Traditional YEC was in 18th -19th century. Now the modern version is basically the go-to-hell-you-commi-liberals-for-beliving-in-logical-thought tribe. Or just the anti-Obama tribe.

He also claims to back legalization of marijuana, but only because the war on drugs sort of missed it or, "hasn't succeeded."

Of course, he's also said that men with rebellious wives should live where wife-beating is legal and that second hand clothes contain demons of the original owner and should be "cast out" of the clothing.

I don't think even if I WERE any kind of casual believer that his opinions would sway me either way.

2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
The thing that astounds me is that the sticking point for them is that there can't have been death before Adam sinned, therefore everything was magically created and nothing died until then.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
The thing that astounds me is that the sticking point for them is that there can't have been death before Adam sinned, therefore everything was magically created and nothing died until then.

You must be more jaded than I, because I have a rather extensive list of "sticking points" that astound me on this topic. Then again, I've only been paying attention to YEC's for a few years, maybe my typical reaction of "wtf?" will die down a bit eventually. I've gotten pretty good at saying "I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood you. Could you repeat that please?" with a straight face, so there's hope.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1

That, and also the ones who do not believe that rainbows existed until after the Flood. And if you try to bring up refraction, they will tell you that everything was watered by the fountains of the deep, or whatever, so evidently rain did not exist either.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
^The rest of it is more or less understandable as part of human nature and rationalization (even if it's totally unbelievable).  It's only the idea that they can't rationalize away the existence of death before sin that's actually astounding to me.

One example of how to rationalize it:  Before Adam, there were no souls, so there was no reason to be concerned about death; it was simply a change of being.  I've actually seen this idea that there were other humans besides Adam and Eve around, but Adam and Eve were the only ensouled ones, and their descendants were also ensouled by relation to A&E.

Instead, we get this knee-jerk rejection of the whole idea that death could have existed before God magicked Adam and Even into being, because it took them sinning in order to create death.

Does anyone else find that an expression of egotism?  "Humans are so awesome that we can even screw up God's plan for the universe by sinning."

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Does anyone else find that an expression of egotism?  "Humans are so awesome that we can even screw up God's plan for the universe by sinning."
There's the flip side:
"Humans are so awful that they can taint the glory and purity of god."
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
It's pretty much the same thing.  "Humans are so amazingly important to the workings of the universe that they can even make or break a god's plan."

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
^^Yup. The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
^^Yup. The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Yeah, 99% of all science fiction films, and TV: aliens more advanced in every way equals humans win because they never give up, or they have water, or a virus, or rubber bands.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Yeah, 99% of all science fiction films, and TV: aliens more advanced in every way equals humans win because they never give up, or they have water, or a virus, or rubber bands.

If Independence Day had taught me anything[1], it's that invading aliens will use a POSIX-compliant OS for their control systems.

Oh, and that every damn alien species invading Earth is some hive mind that has a centralized control mind without even basic redundancy measures put into place[2]
 1. Besides teaching me techniques for spoon feeding black-and-white concepts to a mass audience with lots of associated explosions.
 2. Dear alien lurkers, this is merely sarcasm on my part.  This is a totally awesome idea.  When you invade, make sure your central drone-control mothership is easily identifiable - it'll confuse us and we'll be unable to launch a 1-in-a-million assault.  And redundancy is expensive - you should probably just skip that whole thing.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84

If Independence Day had taught me anything[1], it's that invading aliens will use a POSIX-compliant OS for their control systems.

Oh, and that every damn alien species invading Earth is some hive mind that has a centralized control mind without even basic redundancy measures put into place[2]
 1. Besides teaching me techniques for spoon feeding black-and-white concepts to a mass audience with lots of associated explosions.
 2. Dear alien lurkers, this is merely sarcasm on my part.  This is a totally awesome idea.  When you invade, make sure your central drone-control mothership is easily identifiable - it'll confuse us and we'll be unable to launch a 1-in-a-million assault.  And redundancy is expensive - you should probably just skip that whole thing.

I wrote a short story in the 1990's where there was an invading alien race which enslaved humans, wiped out most of the human race, and took our resources and it wasn't the triumph of humans that freed themselves it was an alien who sacrificed itself not for the humans but that it was tired of being a conquerer of worlds.

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-434
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
I guess if Pat Robertson says something that the atheists agree with, then what Pat Robertson said is true. If Pat Robertson says something that the atheists don't already believe in, then he's a nut.

Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
I guess if Pat Robertson says something that the atheists agree with, then what Pat Robertson said is true. If Pat Robertson says something that the atheists don't already believe in, then he's a nut.
I don't think anyone here blithely accepted Pat Robertson's statement as true because it coincided with their own.

Quote from: skeptic54768
Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
If someone's opinion agrees with mine, I will naturally think they are correct.  If someone's opinion disagrees with mine, I will naturally think they are incorrect.  I see no hypocrisy there.  Hypocrisy is when you tell others to do something that you aren't willing to do yourself, also known as not practicing what you preach.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day" sums it up nicely.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."