Author Topic: A Basic Question  (Read 4683 times)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: A Basic Question
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
Interesting.

Jst still has not agreed to become my slave under the exact same conditions that Jesus thought were fine, or at least not so bad as to condemn them. Even though he apparently condemned lots of other things, like using drugs, looking at pron, getting divorced, homosexuality, masturbation and abortion. Jesus was very clear and definite about all these things being bad. Right?

It is so sad that some people have to twist their minds around to justify slavery in the 21st century, just because their religious text was written when slavery was a commonly accepted practice.

Jst, do you also justify legalizing prostitution, since, like slavery, it is a better alternative for poor women to support themselves and their children than dying of starvation? How about legalizing recreational drug sales, since, like slavery, it is also a better alternative than dying of starvation?

Do social welfare programs and charities not exist on your planet?  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +272/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2014, 02:55:17 AM »
Telling a slave to leave is only practical if the slave has a better alternative.  It could have the same effect as telling someone today to refuse to work.

The slavery problem could have easily been solved by a god that plainly stated the following:

Free all slaves, help them set up homes of their own, and support them by buying their goods or giving them fair-paying jobs.

Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2014, 05:44:22 AM »
Interesting.

Jst still has not agreed to become my slave under the exact same conditions that Jesus thought were fine, or at least not so bad as to condemn them.

I offered the same thing after I saw he wouldn't reply to you. I just don't get it. If Jesus himself thought it was fine, surely it's fine, right? Or are you, Jstwebbrowsing, saying that Jesus was wrong?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
Never being a Christian,and never wanting a slave makes me morally superior to any Christian trying to justify God's position on slaves and slavery
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
Interesting.

Jst still has not agreed to become my slave under the exact same conditions that Jesus thought were fine, or at least not so bad as to condemn them.

I have an alternative.

It is so sad that some people have to twist their minds around to justify slavery in the 21st century, just because their religious text was written when slavery was a commonly accepted practice.

There were many commonly accepted practices that the scriptures do condemn.  Child sacrifice was a commonly accepted practice.  And I've not said slavery is evil.  I said it's neither good nor evil but was simply a means to an end.  That was how the world's economy ran at the time.  However that does not mean that they were all suffering or were unhappy.  Because it would make you unhappy doesn't mean it made them unhappy.  Still today there are cultures around the world where you would be unhappy living in and you could even feel suffering.  However, those that live in them may not.

Jst, do you also justify legalizing prostitution, since, like slavery, it is a better alternative for poor women to support themselves and their children than dying of starvation? How about legalizing recreational drug sales, since, like slavery, it is also a better alternative than dying of starvation?

I do not attempt to determine what the law should be.  Nowhere are Christians instructed to make laws or change laws.

Do social welfare programs and charities not exist on your planet?

Sure.  But they have not always existed in their present form.

Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
Telling a slave to leave is only practical if the slave has a better alternative.  It could have the same effect as telling someone today to refuse to work.

The slavery problem could have easily been solved by a god that plainly stated the following:

Free all slaves, help them set up homes of their own, and support them by buying their goods or giving them fair-paying jobs.

Who is going to buy them homes, goods and provide them wth fair-paying jobs?  You assume these things were possible.  Is the barter system evil?  Slavery was part of that system.  If I borrow money from my brother and agree to pay it back through labor then I have become his slave.  Have we done evil?
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
That is a TRADE,there is no ownership involved,stop being an idiot
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
It is if there's an enforcable contract.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
The trade of work,would state the work be done to satisfaction,where's the ownership?... Contracts are broken on a daily basis,that's why there is a court system,no?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »
Seems to me that JW's are classic economic free riders. They do not want to have anything to do with making the decisions about their country's laws, how their economy or government is run. Contribute nothing to making the country better. If things are going well, they definitely benefit from it. If the country they live in sucks, it just reinforces their viewpoint that Satan is in charge and we are in the last days. It's a win-win ideology and requires no civic heavy lifting.

They are like the white South Africans under Apartheid-- Hey, I did not make the system where 80% of the population cannot vote and has no rights. But I like having servants and an economy that gives me the best jobs, best housing and best education, just because of my skin color. So I will not try to change anything, either. Not white? Sucks to be you. Now carry my bags from my nice car into my nice house and then walk the five miles back to your shack.

BTW The Apartheid system was based on the bible. It was actively supported and promoted by the Dutch Reformed Church.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
The trade of work,would state the work be done to satisfaction,where's the ownership?... Contracts are broken on a daily basis,that's why there is a court system,no?

Of course.  And the courts enforce contracts.  What happens if you disobey the court?

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »
Seems to me that JW's are classic economic free riders. They do not want to have anything to do with making the decisions about their country's laws, how their economy or government is run. Contribute nothing to making the country better. If things are going well, they definitely benefit from it. If the country they live in sucks, it just reinforces their viewpoint that Satan is in charge and we are in the last days. It's a win-win ideology and requires no civic heavy lifting.

They are like the white South Africans under Apartheid-- Hey, I did not make the system where 80% of the population cannot vote and has no rights. But I like having servants and an economy that gives me the best jobs, best housing and best education, just because of my skin color. So I will not try to change anything, either. Not white? Sucks to be you. Now carry my bags from my nice car into my nice house and then walk the five miles back to your shack.

This is not true.  Witnesses are spending billions or hours each year teaching people the principles given by Christ for good living.  This does not change governments or laws, it changes people.  If the people are changed everything else will fall in place.  If the people are not changed nothing will succeed.

BTW The Apartheid system was based on the bible. It was actively supported and promoted by the Dutch Reformed Church.

Another failed human system to add to the myriads of others. 

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
And racism doesn't exist among Jehovah's Witnesses.  Their worldwide unity is actually unique to this world and evidence for the success of Jehovah's ways. 

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »
never seen a JW of African heritage,,,just lots of old white guys standing on the corner with a Watchtower in their hand trying to peddle their brand of garbage

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »
 You see the problem here guys,any theist you point out who uses the scripture incorrectly according to JSW is not really a Christian at all,they are under influence of the Devil. It's an easy out for all the evil anybody has ever done in the name of God

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »

Of course.  And the courts enforce contracts.  What happens if you disobey the court?
Depends on the judgment of the court that upholds the law. A guy who robs a bank with a gun gets jail time,a white collar criminal who defrauds investors gets a promotion.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +272/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2014, 08:12:26 PM »
Who is going to buy them homes, goods and provide them with fair-paying jobs?

The community, under pain of estrangement from the aforementioned god.

If I borrow money from my brother and agree to pay it back through labor then I have become his slave.

No, that is not "slavery."  It is a legitimate business transaction.  You chose to borrow the money and agreed on the terms.  I'm also assuming that you get to work hours of your own choosing and go home afterwards, and are not in danger of being beaten if you don't work hard enough.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
Who is going to buy them homes, goods and provide them with fair-paying jobs?

If I borrow money from my brother and agree to pay it back through labor then I have become his slave.

No, that is not "slavery."  It is a legitimate business transaction.  You chose to borrow the money and agreed on the terms.  I'm also assuming that you get to work hours of your own choosing and go home afterwards, and are not in danger of being beaten if you don't work hard enough.
Yes but will you allow your brother to pierce your ear with an awl if you refuse to leave your wife that you'd gotten while working for him?

Nah, you'd want to keep your ear intact.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2014, 08:44:52 PM »
never seen a JW of African heritage,,,just lots of old white guys standing on the corner with a Watchtower in their hand trying to peddle their brand of garbage

Then Google it. 

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
You see the problem here guys,any theist you point out who uses the scripture incorrectly according to JSW is not really a Christian at all,they are under influence of the Devil. It's an easy out for all the evil anybody has ever done in the name of God

You must love your neighbor as yourself.  I can't imagine how you could interpret that incorrectly and this effecitively abolishes slavery among those that follow it.  If someone doesn't follow it does that mean they've interpreted it incorrectly or does it mean they don't follow it at all?  If one Christian kills another Christian have they misinterpreted the scriptures or have they just refused to obey them?  "By their fruits you will know them", not by their interpretations.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »

You must love your neighbor as yourself.  I can't imagine how you could interpret that incorrectly and this effecitively abolishes slavery among those that follow it.  If someone doesn't follow it does that mean they've interpreted it incorrectly or does it mean they don't follow it at all?  If one Christian kills another Christian have they misinterpreted the scriptures or have they just refused to obey them?  "By their fruits you will know them", not by their interpretations.
I am the great JST,and my interpretation is the correct one BECAUSE I SAY SO,,,,,

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »

They can't give what they don't have.

No, that is not "slavery."  It is a legitimate business transaction.  You chose to borrow the money and agreed on the terms.

The Hebrews did this and termed it slavery.  So you're saying they shouldn't be judged for these things?  In these cases they were actually using an incorrect word?

I'm also assuming that you get to work hours of your own choosing

That would depend on the labor that needed to be done so there is no reason to assume that.

and go home afterwards

So if I am homeless and living with him, performing labor for him to pay off a loan in fulfillment of an enforcible contract, am I a slave then?  The Hebrews did this too and called it slavery.  I guess it is more correctly called indentured servitude.  Is indentured servitude slavery?

and are not in danger of being beaten if you don't work hard enough.

If I tried to run out on my contract and he beat me, is that evil?  If he has me locked in a jail with criminals instead is that less evil?  If he, in any way, forces me to fulfill the contract or be punished is that evil and am I his slave?

But to be back on topic, noone has yet refuted any principles given to Christians or shown them to be lacking.  "Whatsover you want others to do to you, you must likewise do to them" is a principles that effectively bans any case of keeping someone as a slave against their will.  And there is no way to misinterpret it that would allow for the keeping of people against their will.  You simply practice it or you don't.  No matter how you try to justify your behavior you cannot practice this principle while keeping slaves against their will,  although many have tried to justify it using the scriptures.  "Do not marvel; for even Satan fashioneth himself into an angel of light. It is no great thing therefore if his ministers also fashion themselves as ministers of righteousness." (2 Cor 11:14,15)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »
You must love your neighbor as yourself.  I can't imagine how you could interpret that incorrectly...

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »

I am the great JST,and my interpretation is the correct one BECAUSE I SAY SO,,,,,

Ad hominem.  You can't imagine how to incorrectly interpret it either, can you?  It's pretty black and white isn't it?

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
You must love your neighbor as yourself.  I can't imagine how you could interpret that incorrectly...

What?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
Just saying. That's one way to misinterpret things like "love your neighbor like yourself" and "do unto others".

Sticking strictly to the scriptures...If I hate myself then I should hate my neighbor. If I want someone to kill me I should kill others. Now do you see how things can be interpreted differently than the way you interpret them?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2014, 09:43:49 PM »

Ad hominem.  You can't imagine how to incorrectly interpret it either, can you?  It's pretty black and white isn't it?
Thats why there is 40,000 denominations right? 39,999 denominations have it wrong and the one denomination JST belongs to has it right

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »

Thats why there is 40,000 denominations right? 39,999 denominations have it wrong and the one denomination JST belongs to has it right

More ad hominem.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2014, 09:47:53 PM »
Just saying. That's one way to misinterpret things like "love your neighbor like yourself" and "do unto others".

Sticking strictly to the scriptures...If I hate myself then I should hate my neighbor. If I want someone to kill me I should kill others. Now do you see how things can be interpreted differently than the way you interpret them?

You are mistaken.  Practicing that principle does not allow you to hate yourself.  Loving yourself is actually a prerequisite.