Author Topic: JW 4, changed teachings  (Read 87 times)

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
Signature goes here...

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: JW 4, changed teachings
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »
Dismantling of a faith hmmmmm,systematically poiniting out the flaws. If only theist could do that.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: JW 4, changed teachings
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
This article nearly brought me to tears. I don't read much of the ex-JW stuff on the internet because the stories are too painful. This article really hit home.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

My family was one of those actively preparing for Armageddon during most of my childhood in the 1960's and 1970's. I remember those scary Awake and Watchtower articles and those warning speeches at the national conventions. My oldest brother-- a very bright, mathematically gifted student-- was forbidden to go to college after high school. Instead, he got baptized so he would be ready for Armageddon.[1]

On more than on occasion, when one of us kids was picky about eating something nasty, like head cheese or chitlins, my father responded,"When Armageddon comes, you will have to be able to eat anything, even things we don't think of as food." It terrified us-- was he talking about eating cats and dogs? Pigeons? Squirrels? Rats? Human sh!t? Human beings? He never specified, just looked really grim and serious.

My father was crazy and violent. I firmly believe that it would not have taken much for him to have killed all of us to save us from the horrible events that the JW's predicted. As it was, he destroyed a family business--why bother running it properly when Armageddon is coming? He rented our family home to another JW family who trashed it completely-- why fix anything when Armageddon is coming? Our lives revolved around witnessing and getting ready for Armageddon. And, then, in 1975, it didn't happen.

Of course, the JW's never mentioned any of this subsequently. They just went on as if they had never said all that Mad Max sh!t about the world ending in 1975.
 1. I just read a study of religion in society and the JW's score dead last in educational achievement and career success. JW's are more likely to end up in poverty than other religious groups. amazing how stopping at high school does not produce economic stability.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.