Author Topic: If atheists ruled the world... an oldie but still a goodie  (Read 75 times)

Online natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
Sharing is caring!

I hadn't seen this for a number of years before I stumbled upon it again yesterday. I recall feeling flabbergasted as I watched it for the first time, my mouth was literally hanging open and my eyes bulging. Particularly the last guy!

Then I saw the punchline.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: If atheists ruled the world... an oldie but still a goodie
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:34:07 PM »
Boy, the stupid burns in that one.

One of my favorite post-rapture atheist freedom videos:
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
In the film Gone (2002) (directed by a Harvard alumni, and starring one of the early Survivor contestants) atheists do in fact rule the world during and after the rapture but they are all devil worshippers--all of them.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
Since reality refuses to conform to their wishes, theists like to pretend that it does. A bit like a football fan who, after seeing his team play a crap game and suffer a deserved defeat, still blames the referee because that's more comforting than admitting that, you team is crap. I remember this short story I read once, where a father has found a way to keep the brain processes of his dead son alive inside a computer simulation. He keeps improving the simulation. After a while, he runs out of money and makes deals with theists that he'll set up separate simulations where the theists can upload themselves and "live" in the presence of their computer generated god.
I can't even wrap my head around the doublethink this sort of thing requires. Yet, in real life, the people making Gone (and God's not dead, ...) do engange is slightly reduced form of this doublethink.
I mean, come on, they're making these movies precisely BECAUSE they are quite simply not true.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.