Author Topic: Pope Francis and the anti abuse commision  (Read 114 times)

Offline shnozzola

Pope Francis and the anti abuse commision
« on: May 11, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »
Any place I have the word s e x, I had to add spaces to stop the nanny programming machine.  Even the link below needs fixed to work.

(By Stefania Fumo) (ANSA) - Rome, March 24 - Pope Francis has appointed a former child s e x a b u s e victim as one of the first members of a new Vatican antiabuse commission, a move intended to demonstrate resolve about confronting the child se x ual abuse scandals that have rocked Catholicism.

The pope tapped three clergy and five lay people from eight countries, with seven from Europe or the United States, including four women. The announcement came Saturday as Francis faces mounting criticism for a perceived blind spot on the abuse scandals, which have cost Catholic dioceses and religious orders around the world billions of dollars in legal fees and settlements. Among his appointees are Cardinal Sean P. O'Malley, one of Francis' key advisers and the archbishop of Boston, where the US pedophile priest scandal erupted in 2002, and Marie Collins, who was assaulted as a 13-year-old by a hospital chaplain in her native Ireland and has gone on to become a prominent campaigner for accountability in the church. When she tried to report the abuse years later, said Collins, she was told by Church officials that "protecting the good name" of the priest was more important than remedying a "historic" wrong.

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2014/03/24/Four-women-pope-new-anti-child-s e x-abuse-panel_10280408.html

This morning I listened to the interview of Marie Collins on NPR.  She was se x ually abused in the hospital by a chaplain.  When she says," I went into the hospital as a happy confident young girl and came out"......leading to depression, guilt etc. for years - it tears your heart out.  How sad se x ual abuse of children is, and, I believe, all too common.  I'm not picking on the church only - it's everywhere.

The interview will be available in a few hours.

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/11/311521441/u-n-panel-could-find-vatican-guilty-of-torture
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:43:52 AM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
Re: Pope Francis and the anti abuse commision
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »
It really is. Almost all of my friends were abused in some way. I was as well. I only remembered a year or so ago. It hasn't effected me in any perceivable way, which I am thankful for.

I only wish this issue could be dealt with in its entirety, not in the little ways we can deal with it now.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion