Author Topic: Christians; Why Do You Think Your Religion Tries To Stop Questions?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
I'm sure we've all heard this line before in our debates with Christians; Matthew 7:6 “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." I hear this line many times, usually on a Facebook debate, when some other Christian will chime in with this and attempt to stop a Christian debating with me. There are other lines used, I'm sure you've heard them too. Additionally I have heard how easy it is to get banned from Christians forums when asking difficult questions (I have no direct experience of this, just repeating what I read here. Which is why I've never registered on a Christian forum, seems a bit pointless. Perhaps I'm wrong?)

I'm unaware of an atheist forum ever preventing people asking questions, if they exist please name them. If we as atheists try to stifle your questions, please tell us.

So Christians, why is this? If your religion really is the truth, why would debate ever be stifled? How could questions ever harm your religion if it's true?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member

In all seriousness, this was a huge factor in my deconversion from faith. All answers brought forth follow-up questions. Eventually every line of inquiry ended with an appeal to just have faith (in other words, just trust the xian talking to me), or an attempt to make me feel ashamed for trying to bait xians to purposefully make them look ignorant and foolish. Apparently, asking for more than "just trust me" is equivalent to bullying.

I'm interested in the answer to your question, too.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Not this Christian. I welcome questions with open arms because I know I can answer them all. There may be Christians out there who are uncomfortable with questions because they never thought about the answers before. Just like how there's ton of atheists out there who have no responses to theistic arguments.

Intellectual theists such as myself and intellectual atheists on this website can have a thoughtful debate. I have been through all the atheistic arguments and they do not impress me.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Perhaps Skeptic you could join Christian forums on our behalf and convince them to open their doors to atheist questions as they have nothing to fear?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
Not this Christian. I welcome questions with open arms because I know I can answer them all. There may be Christians out there who are uncomfortable with questions because they never thought about the answers before. Just like how there's ton of atheists out there who have no responses to theistic arguments.

Intellectual theists such as myself and intellectual atheists on this website can have a thoughtful debate. I have been through all the atheistic arguments and they do not impress me.

This is certainly good news! 

Going back to a question asked in a different topic, is homosexuality a choice?

As always,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-2
I'm sure we've all heard this line before in our debates with Christians; Matthew 7:6 “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." I hear this line many times, usually on a Facebook debate, when some other Christian will chime in with this and attempt to stop a Christian debating with me. There are other lines used, I'm sure you've heard them too. Additionally I have heard how easy it is to get banned from Christians forums when asking difficult questions (I have no direct experience of this, just repeating what I read here. Which is why I've never registered on a Christian forum, seems a bit pointless. Perhaps I'm wrong?)

I'm unaware of an atheist forum ever preventing people asking questions, if they exist please name them. If we as atheists try to stifle your questions, please tell us.

So Christians, why is this? If your religion really is the truth, why would debate ever be stifled? How could questions ever harm your religion if it's true?

I think it comes down to a matter of belief / faith.  Belief can be objective but faith (from my perspective) is subjective.  Some theists, especially those who have a black and white set of beliefs, get very uncomfortable with questions as it may mean their beliefs need to change.  My experience has been such people adopt an "all or nothing" theology (either everything in the Bible is true or none of it is true).  I don't understand why there is no middle ground for them but that is where faith comes into play, I suppose. 

I don't think I have avoided any questions on this forum based on the fact not responding has been brought to my attention more than once and, to the best of my knowledge, I have responded. 

Enough rambling.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Not this Christian. I welcome questions with open arms because I know I can answer them all.
(Bold mine)
Surely this is hyperbole.

If you feel like you do have the answers to all questions, shouldn't that be something of a red flag for you?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-86
  • "Question Everything"

Skeptic you did not even acknowledge my post to you in "How to Remain Christian"?  Here is the link.  Let me know if you respond. 

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,26705.msg612471.html#msg612471

Why do you believe in a cruel God?

Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
I don't think I have avoided any questions on this forum based on the fact not responding has been brought to my attention more than once and, to the best of my knowledge, I have responded. 

I've never noticed you dodge a question, but you do the same thing, albeit in a friendly, socially considerate way. You simply stop the line of inquiry with "I don't know." You're not the only one who does this, clearly, but it is a useful means by which the line of inquiry is put to an end. After years of being told I was trying to bait people by asking the natural follow-up questions that came with their answers, I've come to interpret "I don't know" as a passive-aggressive kind of response. I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but it feels the same nevertheless. Essentially it is a refusal to answer the question. I think this happens when the answer is a clear contradiction of belief. The cognitive dissonance, in other words, puts this defense in place. Although it's far more polite than getting angry, its function is the same - circle the wagons and protect belief from critical thought.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-2

I've never noticed you dodge a question, but you do the same thing, albeit in a friendly, socially considerate way. You simply stop the line of inquiry with "I don't know." You're not the only one who does this, clearly, but it is a useful means by which the line of inquiry is put to an end. After years of being told I was trying to bait people by asking the natural follow-up questions that came with their answers, I've come to interpret "I don't know" as a passive-aggressive kind of response. I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but it feels the same nevertheless. Essentially it is a refusal to answer the question. I think this happens when the answer is a clear contradiction of belief. The cognitive dissonance, in other words, puts this defense in place. Although it's far more polite than getting angry, its function is the same - circle the wagons and protect belief from critical thought.

Interesting.  To be honest, I never thought admitting ignorance was a dodge. 

As always,

OldChurchGuy

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: Christians; Why Do You Think Your Religion Tries To Stop Questions?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »
It does not have to be a dodge to say you don't know. I would much rather have someone say they don't know the answer to a religious question than make up some sh!t with no factual basis. I find it far more frustrating to try to have a discussion with someone who thinks they have all the answers, when all they really have is logical fallacies and diversions.

Like, here is an example.

Question: "If your god is like a loving father, why does he allow so many of his children to follow false religions, ie religions that seem to have the same exact factual basis as the true one? Isn't he powerful enough to get the one true religion to everyone in a clear, culturally acceptable manner? C'mon, eternal salvation for the entire planet is at stake here!"

Honest answer: "I don't know. My religion seems true to me. Other people's religions must seem equally true to them as well." 

Bogus answer: "If your child was strung out on drugs, would you let them come into your house?"[1]

Basically, if a Catholic Christian (or whatever variety of theist) would not accept that answer as valid if it came from a different religion, say, a Mormon, a Hindu, or a Muslim, they should not give it as their response either.
 1. That does not even come close to addressing the question. Human parents are not all powerful, cannot possibly control every situation like you say your god can. Why are you comparing your god to what an ordinary human would do, unless you are trying to create a diversion about how human parents try to deal with kids on drugs? 
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +578/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »
Not this Christian. I welcome questions with open arms because I know I can answer them all.
Haven't you been the one arguing that a person can only truly know that which they have actually done, such as in questions of science?  Meaning, unless you've actually answered every question, how do you know you can answer them all?  You might have confidence that you can answer every question, but you don't truly know that you can until you actually do it.  Furthermore, even confidence such as that verges on pride, and there are plenty of examples of what happens to those who become overly prideful, all the way back to the apocryphal tale of Icarus.

Quote from: skeptic54768
There may be Christians out there who are uncomfortable with questions because they never thought about the answers before. Just like how there's ton of atheists out there who have no responses to theistic arguments.
Granted, but you're forgetting the category of person who becomes overconfident in making a claim.

Intellectual theists such as myself and intellectual atheists on this website can have a thoughtful debate.
If one person claims to have all the answers, how can another person really debate them?  For a debate to be meaningful, both must have sufficient knowledge, but neither can have too much.

I have been through all the atheistic arguments and they do not impress me.
Given that many atheists have been through all the theistic arguments and are equally unimpressed, does that not suggest that there may be problems with both sides' arguments?

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
Interesting.  To be honest, I never thought admitting ignorance was a dodge. 

As always,

OldChurchGuy

Admitting ignorance in and of itself is not a dodge, bu it is a dodge when you know the answer but won't engage. The intellectually honest answer here would be something like, "I don't want to examine those details that would expose my faith as one based on an irrational, historically unreliable explanation of the world. I believe the stories of my youth are true because it offers some emotional comfort. The answer to the question XYZ would strip away this comfort, and that's too important to me to give up." I suspect you do know this answer. I suspect you've come to this conclusion yourself many times, but choose to maintain belief anyway. I suspect this because your comments in this forum are never superfluous or irrational. You come across as a well educated, critical thinker. But still you maintain the belief in a theory that is constantly exposed as a sham. I think your god of the gaps fits in a very tiny gap, but you don't want to give him up, and so you shrug your shoulders and say, "I don't know" rather than continue on the path of rational thinking with which you are already intimately familiar.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +578/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:55:01 PM »
albeto:  In this case, I have to agree with OCG.  You appear to be projecting your own opinion of what the intellectually honest answer should be onto him and then assuming since he didn't say that, he must be trying to dodge and other things to that effect.  But what of it?  When you get right down to it, that's nothing but your opinion, and it's rank folly to assume that your own opinion represents what a person is really thinking.  You are simply assuming that he knows "the answer" - your answer - and is refusing to admit it because it so seriously undercuts his belief.  Yet, that is a fundamentally irrational position to hold.

If he truly has come to that conclusion and maintains his belief anyway, then his belief would be necessarily irrational.  In that case, I do not think he could be so consistently rational and calm in his responses to the point where he regularly gets complimented by various atheists here.  Which suggests that he has not actually come to that conclusion.  I don't know that he has come to a conclusion; there's a position held by some theists that belief is not a destination, but a journey.  If belief is a journey, and you reach a destination in it, then has not the journey and thus belief ended?  Think of it as an analogy for life, in a way.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
To the OP, the bible also says to be prepared to give a reason for your faith. To me that has always meant that if somebody asks me what or why I believe, I tell them. The complexity of the exchange can obviously vary a great deal, and I tend to be limited by a woeful ignorance of science and an only average grasp of history.

It is indeed true that some Christians are very poorly equipped to answer some of the difficult questions atheists and sceptics have, I include myself in this category. I think this is partly the case because your faith is not something that can ever be demonstrated empirically and for many people the ultimate reason for their faith is a personal experience that simply can't be demonstrated or replicated in somebody else. When that personal experience is brought into question, sometimes ridiculed...that's where aggressive self- defence might come in.

Personally I think the 'pearls amongst swine' verse is meant as a warning to Christians to not waste time with those who seem more interested in attacking God than questioning His existence.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
The OP question is actually quite rude and starts a discussion from an assumed position. Because I know RJ's posts are generally open and honest I am happy to assume this was not intended.

It would be like me asking "Atheists, why do you think atheists are so aggressive in their non-belief"?

Many are, many aren't.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
Clearly, the fastest growing religion is Islam, so it must be correct.  Faith cannot be demonstrated to be empirically wrong or right, so Islam is as good as any other. The whole world should practice Islam....right? If not, why not?

If it is true that faith cannot be demonstrated empirically, that would argue very strongly for a cultural component to faith. That suggests that what faith you decide is correct is largely determined by where and when you were born and what religions were prevalent in your region. Seems like a sloppy way for a perfect god to get his very important messages to all people, limiting them by geography and the historical accident of who colonized your ancestors.

Just like most people think their native language is somehow better than all others, even if they don't speak another language. People just know that their native language is more expressive, easier to speak, clearer to understand, etc. than all the others.

The religion that is most familiar (because it is historically and culturally embedded) is also, amazingly the one that makes the most sense, that is clearer, that explains the universe better, etc. Despite the fact that everyone else thinks the same thing about their religion.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +195/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 07:13:08 PM »
To the OP, the bible also says to be prepared to give a reason for your faith. To me that has always meant that if somebody asks me what or why I believe, I tell them.
But in the end, your answer always comes back to "because the bible....", which leaves the questioner feeling as though the fundamental question remains unanswered.

The complexity of the exchange can obviously vary a great deal, and I tend to be limited by a woeful ignorance of science and an only average grasp of history.

I can't just ignore this ^^^ (and believe me, mm, I tried)

You obviously have a working connection to the internet and you could use it to fill in the gaps in your knowledge.

There comes a point when "woeful" ignorance becomes "willful" ignorance. You've been given countless links, you could educate yourself with minimal effort.

It is indeed true that some Christians are very poorly equipped to answer some of the difficult questions atheists and sceptics have, I include myself in this category. I think this is partly the case because your faith is not something that can ever be demonstrated empirically
Yep.

and for many people the ultimate reason for their faith is a personal experience that simply can't be demonstrated or replicated in somebody else.
Which is why you so often hear someone here saying that personal anecdotes/experiences/feeling are not acceptable PROOF. No one is denying that people have these unusual experiences, but a great many of us are denying that these experiences qualify as evidence of anything other than an unusual experience, particularly when a christian is insisting that this is to be interpreted as evidence of the existence of the christian god.

When that personal experience is brought into question, sometimes ridiculed...that's where aggressive self- defence might come in.

A natural human response.

Personally I think the 'pearls amongst swine' verse is meant as a warning to Christians to not waste time with those who seem more interested in attacking God than questioning His existence.

I'm going to have to think about this one - something in the last 9 or 10 words is hitting my processing centers oddly.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +195/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »
The OP question is actually quite rude and starts a discussion from an assumed position. Because I know RJ's posts are generally open and honest I am happy to assume this was not intended.
I'd agree that the subject (title?) of the thread is a little aggressive. But I don't find the actual post to be rude - he was asking about a specific behavior, and pointed out that this behavior appears to be absent in non-theist forums.

It would be like me asking "Atheists, why do you think atheists are so aggressive in their non-belief"?

Many are, many aren't.

If the shoe doesn't fit.....

But you know what? If you did post that question here, you'd get a few people pointing out that you were using a wide brush to paint all atheists. And a few would make that same point and then tell you what they think might be the basis of your observation. At least a few more would just answer the question directly without defending themselves or any other atheist.

Not quite the same experience, is it?
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »
(Bold mine)
I find that...a tad strange.  Aren't those the people in the most need of salvation?  Shouldn't Christians spend most of their time trying to help those people?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »
(Bold mine)
I find that...a tad strange.  Aren't those the people in the most need of salvation?  Shouldn't Christians spend most of their time trying to help those people?

There's no such thing as someone in the most need of salvation. We're all on an equal footing. 

Having said that, I expressed myself poorly. It's never a waste of time to invest time in anybody, even if its difficult to do. But I don't think its possible for any Christian to convince somebody that they need salvation or that they should worship God rather than attack him. It's also not possible for any Christian to convince somebody that God exists, but there is clear instruction in the bible to tell somebody why you believe.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 11:10:04 PM »
To the OP, the bible also says to be prepared to give a reason for your faith. To me that has always meant that if somebody asks me what or why I believe, I tell them.
But in the end, your answer always comes back to "because the bible....", which leaves the questioner feeling as though the fundamental question remains unanswered.

Why wouldn't my answer to this OP reference the bible, when the bible's teaching is a key part of the OP and is central to a Christian's life?

The complexity of the exchange can obviously vary a great deal, and I tend to be limited by a woeful ignorance of science and an only average grasp of history.

I can't just ignore this ^^^ (and believe me, mm, I tried)

You obviously have a working connection to the internet and you could use it to fill in the gaps in your knowledge.

There comes a point when "woeful" ignorance becomes "willful" ignorance. You've been given countless links, you could educate yourself with minimal effort.

It becomes a question of motivation weighed against available time and the fact I have a busy life. I don't have sufficient motivation to spend the time further educating myself, even though I do have an interest. That might be different if at any time I started to have any doubt at all about my faith. If that happened, perhaps I would invest further time in looking into the aspects of Christianity that are at odds with scientific consensus or historical record.

Similarly, I doubt you would be willing to put in the hard yards to learn ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic so you could be better qualified to engage in debate over bible translations etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm the most prolific Christian contributor to this site, albeit many of my posts are of trivial nature. If I had no job and no family I pretty much guarantee I'd already be in 10,000 post territory, and I'd answer every single question. But I have to draw a line somewhere in every thread, because it's not like the questions just stop. Lots and lots and lots of questions.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 11:42:46 PM »
Why wouldn't my answer to this OP reference the bible, when the bible's teaching is a key part of the OP and is central to a Christian's life?

Because you just said we were all in equal need of salvation, when the gospel clearly states that there are levels in heaven.

[1] At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
[2] And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
[3] And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
[4] Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
[5] And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
[6] But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Not only are there levels in heaven, but us arguing with you will send us to hell.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »

Many are, many aren't.

Please note MM that I asked Christians why their religion tries to stop questions; this is different from asking why Christians try to stop questions. I completely fail to see how it can be taken as rude or aggressive , I think it simply a fact of Christianity. If this is not so, then please show how Christianity as a religion encourages openness and questioning.

I am unaware of a scientific or atheist version of Blasphemy. The only secular examples of a form of blasphemy I can think of are states such as North Korea where it is forbidden to question the state.

So my question stands; why do you think your religion tries to stop questions? If it is true, why would blasphemy laws be needed?

edit for spelling, thanks AH
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:51:22 AM by Ron Jeremy »

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
Please not[e] MM that I asked Christians why their religion tries to stop questions; this is different from asking why Christians try to stop questions. I completely fail to see how it can be taken as rude or aggressive ,

It's because each Christian has their own religion, so they take it personally.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:12 AM »

Because you just said we were all in equal need of salvation, when the gospel clearly states that there are levels in heaven.

[1] At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
[2] And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
[3] And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
[4] Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
[5] And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
[6] But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Not only are there levels in heaven, but us arguing with you will send us to hell.

Not quite sure how that's relevant to my response to Jag, and besides, there being or not being levels in heaven has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact everybody is in equal need of salvation.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:07 AM »

Many are, many aren't.

Please note MM that I asked Christians why their religion tries to stop questions; this is different from asking why Christians try to stop questions. I completely fail to see how it can be taken as rude or aggressive , I think it simply a fact of Christianity. If this is not so, then please show how Christianity as a religion encourages openness and questioning.

I am unaware of a scientific or atheist version of Blasphemy. The only secular examples of a form of blasphemy I can think of are states such as North Korea where it is forbidden to question the state.

So my question stands; why do you think your religion tries to stop questions? If it is true, why would blasphemy laws be needed?

edit for spelling, thanks AH

What do you think blasphemy is? It certainly isn't asking questions. Just about the opposite, in fact.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:44 AM »
Not quite sure how that's relevant to my response to Jag, and besides, there being or not being levels in heaven has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact everybody is in equal need of salvation.

Are you in need of salvation? The Bible (which you say you believe) says that you have to give away more of your wealth, to get higher ranking in heaven. It sounds to me like you need more salvation than those Christians who have given all their money away.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 02:10:38 AM »

Are you in need of salvation?

Yes

The Bible (which you say you believe) says that you have to give away more of your wealth, to get higher ranking in heaven. It sounds to me like you need more salvation than those Christians who have given all their money away.

Which verses do you think teach that?

Go on up you baldhead.