Author Topic: atheists not unite  (Read 343 times)

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
atheists not unite
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
I hope atheists never become more than a loose collection of individuals that share some overlapping views. the reason is that unification brings hierarchy and politics and scandal and stereotyping .

theists would love nothing more than to accuse us of being just another religion and point out differences and inconsistencies in our "belief system".

Thoughts?
Signature goes here...

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: atheists not unite
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
Organization is the best way to enforce laws such as separation of church and state in the USA and make vaccinations seem like a good thing, not to mention prevent deaths by "loving" parents who beat their children to death, or just let them die, all because of their god(s).
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
Freedom from religion advocates and church/state separatists should imo be specifically atheist sam vax. they should imo consist of moral educated peeps that could be theists, atheists, deists, spiritualists......pretty much anyone with a brain and morality.
Signature goes here...

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
Freedom from religion advocates and church/state separatists should imo be specifically atheist sam vax. they should imo consist of moral educated peeps that could be theists, atheists, deists, spiritualists......pretty much anyone with a brain and morality.

I have no idea what the part I put in bold means. Are you trying to say someone's name? Or did you misspell an expression?

See, this is why you should take your time to write things properly before you try to communicate. Because we end up in situations such as this. If you can't write properly, learn the language you're tying to communicate in well enough to be able to write properly.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »
Same vax as in same argument for vaccination.....we good now?
Signature goes here...

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
Same vax as in same argument for vaccination.....we good now?

In the sense that I understand what you mean, yes. However, your claim makes no sense. To ostracize theists for being theists when they're trying to help is illogical and, quite frankly, stupid. It's counterproductive. You might as well have ostracized white people when they were fighting to free the slaves.
We choose our own gods.

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
Given groups allow for more action and better unity, I hope organization continues to a comfortable extent. I hope a barrier of sorts exists though, so as to prevent the aforementioned negativities that comes with group dependency. United we stand, too united we fall.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 06:17:26 AM »
eh! I am a theist and I believe adamantly in the separation of church and state.  That's because I detest religion.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:40:26 AM »
Good a reason as any ^
Signature goes here...

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:55:48 AM »
Everyone should favor church/state separation, as the alternative is likely a theocracy, which will not go well for Christians. The fact that many Christians don't seem to recognize the differences between their own sects should be enough to make all of them shudder at the idea of one sect getting their way over all others. Unless they mistakenly believe they will all just get along...bwa ha ha ha ha...

Anyway, one area where atheists can and should unite is in the voting booths. Look at candidates and vote for those without a religious agenda. People who get into government roles with the intent of "bringing god back" or "returning to Judeo Christian values" need to be marginalized (voted out) out of the public eye. Those ideas are anchors for religious zealots to impart their "perceived moral superiority" upon citizens through legislation. I recognize that many politicians are believers, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are trying to use their religion to oppress others.

Another area where we could unite is in marginalizing the overt religious culture heaped upon anyone in eyesight or earshot. In other words, working to make public proselytizing an embarrassing endeavor, at the very least. I know that the Westboro group is still doing their nasty stuff, but it is well publicized that they are a hate group, and lots of people have recognized that they have no place in the public space. Like the KKK rallies, these will die off (become marginalized to the point they are no longer effective). We can and should, in my opinion, find ways to marginalize the hateful and bigoted side of some religious people and groups. We can and should make them feel uncomfortable, or at the very least ineffective, when they try to use their "free speech" to suppress and stomp on equal rights.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »
Very simple -- all atheists don't believe the same thing any more than all theists do, so why would they unite?

The things "we" have in common are just human concerns, not atheist concerns.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:15:03 PM by LoriPinkAngel »
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »
The things "we" have in common are just human concerns, not atheist concerns.

Nicely said.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.