Author Topic: How I Never Actually Chose.  (Read 203 times)

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
How I Never Actually Chose.
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »
Most nonbelievers seem to have grown up religious, later deciding for themselves that the theistic mindset is wrong, either through life experience or just general knowledge searching.

I never went through that. The first books I learned to read were from Greek mythology. I thought of them as superheroes rather than deities. I equated them with Santa, that they didn't exist. As I got older, churches only reinforced the idea. The attitudes and certainty of believers furthered my convictions. As I researched through high school, I only added reasoning behind the truth I already knew.

It's only struck me recently how unique, or uncommon, my experience was. This passage from John Stuart Mill's Autobiography resonated with me for that reason.

"I am thus one of the very few examples, in this country, of one who has, not thrown off religious belief, but never had it.... This point in my early education had however
incidentally one bad consequence deserving notice. In giving me an opinion contrary to that of the world, my father thought it necessary to give it as one which could not
prudently be avowed to the world. This lesson of keeping my thoughts to myself, at that early age, was attended with some moral disadvantages."
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Re: How I Never Actually Chose.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
Hopefully in the future this will be the norm and superstition will go extinct.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
Re: How I Never Actually Chose.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
One can only wish. If I had a lack of self-respect, I'd spread it like a missionary. Shane that it wouldn't grow like that.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion