Author Topic: RE: What do you mean when you say "god"?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
Re: RE: What do you mean when you say "god"?
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
So to be clear: are you stating that my assertion is NOT potentially falsifiable?

I need the answer to the question to answer your question.

What is unclear about my question?  I've made a statement : I've asked you if you believe that statement is falsifiable.  Surely it is a yes or no answer? 
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2014, 06:49:36 AM »
So to be clear: are you stating that my assertion is NOT potentially falsifiable?

What is unclear about my question?  I've made a statement : I've asked you if you believe that statement is falsifiable.  Surely it is a yes or no answer?

Why would I say your statement is falsifiable when it clearly has nothing to do with science.  It is not a hypothesis so what is the need.

If I say yes it is, then you have proven yourself mistaken by saying I can't say that about my actual hypothesis. ;)

I think it's silly you wouldn't answer one simple question. :)

I do not think your statement is a hypothesis. 

Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »
What do you mean when you say "god"?
The creator of everything, not separate from it but with it and at the heart of it. 
Compare it to a molecule of water which is no different than the ocean it was created in except for its individuality. God is the ocean of all consciousness and we are parts of the consciousness.
According to Theists: Theists know God, Atheists don't.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-36
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2014, 06:15:12 AM »
^ oh yeah like we all the pins in the pin cushion of consciousness thing ....right?

I'm down.
Signature goes here...

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »
The creator of everything, not separate from it but with it and at the heart of it. 
Compare it to a molecule of water which is no different than the ocean it was created in except for its individuality. God is the ocean of all consciousness and we are parts of the consciousness.
When the battle is lost for the creating deity to have an existence, theists take one of two exits:

1.   “God is undetectable because he is outside space and time.”
2.   “God is everything and in everything and about everything.”

Both are meaningless. (i) No one knows what 1. means and (ii) even if there as any truth in this, a being “outside space and time” could not affect us who are “within space and time.” (iii) it is a bald statement and can be dismissed without evidence.

The second (i) is simply redefining “everything” and is no more sensible than saying “Love is in trees.” -> where’s your logic, where’s any evidence? (ii)Fails on the 'which came first?' test: God who is everything or everything into which god inserted himself? (iii) it is a bald statement and can be dismissed without evidence.

If you say "God came first." the questions arise, "Where was he before and why did He feel it necessary to leave? And how do you know?" If you say "everything existed and God inserted himself into it." Then, "How do you know? and "He is not a creator."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2014, 07:20:04 AM »
When the battle is lost for the creating deity to have an existence, theists take one of two exits:

1.   “God is undetectable because he is outside space and time.”
2.   “God is everything and in everything and about everything.”

Both are meaningless. (i) No one knows what 1. means and (ii) even if there as any truth in this, a being “outside space and time” could not affect us who are “within space and time.” (iii) it is a bald statement and can be dismissed without evidence.

The second (i) is simply redefining “everything” and is no more sensible than saying “Love is in trees.” -> where’s your logic, where’s any evidence? (ii)Fails on the 'which came first?' test: God who is everything or everything into which god inserted himself? (iii) it is a bald statement and can be dismissed without evidence.

If you say "God came first." the questions arise, "Where was he before and why did He feel it necessary to leave? And how do you know?" If you say "everything existed and God inserted himself into it." Then, "How do you know? and "He is not a creator."

GB when have I said these things.  Are you sure you posted in the right thread? :?

Hey, it's a good point. ;)
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »
GB when have I said these things.  Are you sure you posted in the right thread? :?

Hey, it's a good point. ;)

Check the quote author. It was Jesuis.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2014, 02:35:41 AM »

Why would I say your statement is falsifiable when it clearly has nothing to do with science.  It is not a hypothesis so what is the need.

If I say yes it is, then you have proven yourself mistaken by saying I can't say that about my actual hypothesis. ;)

I think it's silly you wouldn't answer one simple question. :)

I do not think your statement is a hypothesis.

Plus ca meme chose.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »

Plus ca meme chose.....

I'm sorry I am not familiar with this expression. :?
Thomas Paine

Offline JoeNobody

• Student
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »

Plus ca meme chose.....

It's French. Literally "More of the same thing". If I understand correctly, he's saying that what you said applies to your stuff as well.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »

Plus ca meme chose.....

It's French. Literally "More of the same thing". If I understand correctly, he's saying that what you said applies to your stuff as well.

I took it as meaning that junebug72 is still "singing the same song", if you will.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline JoeNobody

• Student
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »

I took it as meaning that junebug72 is still "singing the same song", if you will.

That's a definite possibility. Anfauglir, will you elaborate, please?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2014, 03:54:19 PM »
My statement is trying to answer the question; "where does god come from" a hypothesis.

What question does Anfauglir's statement answer?  Not a thing.  It's a hypothetical situation not a hypothesis.

Thomas Paine

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2014, 03:12:14 AM »
Anfauglir, will you elaborate, please?

Actually, no.  I thought this thread held something of interest for me, but it transpires it does not.  I therefore won't be participating further.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2014, 06:24:26 AM »
cop out much?  I believe the correct words are I concede this debate.  That's okay I understand pride.
Thomas Paine

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2014, 07:01:19 AM »
Short answer: God doesn't come from anywhere because he is not real.

If you claim he IS, evidence please.

Which of course, no one can provide.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »
Short answer: God doesn't come from anywhere because he is not real.

If you claim he IS, evidence please.

Which of course, no one can provide.

You're welcome to an opinion.  The concept of God is definitely real, the objective God; who knows?  It is possible with all the possibilities the universe has to offer.  Maybe God does not want to be obvious.  Maybe God wants us to figure out how to help ourselves so God is unseen and silent.  Maybe?

What keeps us from becoming Xmen?
Thomas Paine

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
cop out much?  I believe the correct words are I concede this debate.  That's okay I understand pride.

Super!

To be specific, when you initially said your views were "falsifiable", I thought that meant in some practical and realistic sense, and therefore I saw some point in the conversation. 

As it has turned out, you intended the "technically falsifiable but not actually possible" sense of the word - and I've no interest in such discussions.  If you do have that interest, then super!  Have fun! 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:55:27 AM by Anfauglir »

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »

Super!

To be specific, when you initially said your views were "falsifiable", I thought that meant in some practical and realistic sense, and therefore I saw some point in the conversation. 

As it has turned out, you intended the "technically falsifiable but not actually possible" sense of the word - and I've no interest in such discussions.  If you do have that interest, then super!  Have fun!

There is no practical way to falsify the big bang either.  It is falsifiable in principal; is it not?
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure that puts you, Anfauglir, in check, if not check mate.
Thomas Paine

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »

Super!

There is no practical way to falsify the big bang either.  It is falsifiable in principal; is it not?

.....and I don't find conversation about that interesting either.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »

If you feel that winning is important, super!  You have indeed won - I thought this was going to be a thread where there would be some realistically falsifiable propositions about your god - I was wrong.  So yes indeed, you win that one!

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »

If you feel that winning is important, super!  You have indeed won - I thought this was going to be a thread where there would be some realistically falsifiable propositions about your god - I was wrong.  So yes indeed, you win that one!

All great things are discovered when people work together!  It is just as realistic as any kind of falsifiable claim about the big bang. 

I need a team of scientist to help me out.  Do you know any that might be interested? ;)  I would be happy to hear any ideas that you might have.  I really would.  Then we can maybe finally put an end to our debate. :laugh:   I want to know damn it.  I'm not just being argumentative.  I do respect your opinion.  I think you're sharp as a tact.  Just for fun can we please explore the idea.  Hell I might discover that you're right, you never know. 
Thomas Paine

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
I think you're sharp as a tact.

Oh, the irony.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »
I think you're sharp as a tact.

Oh, the irony.

Oh how petty and childish is that. 
Thomas Paine

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »

Doesn't that require a question mark?
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-36
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
The "big bang" is falsifiable.
Signature goes here...

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2014, 04:58:46 AM »

Doesn't that require a question mark?

You're just jealous. :laugh:  And no it doesn't it's a statement not a question.  I wasn't asking I was telling.  My spelling and grammar is usually on point Star Stuff.

That happens all the time by expert journalist that even get edited.  I am human.  You are not perfect either.  You are desperate when you have to pick on grammar.  I never said God helps you spell or punctuate!

Quit railroading my thread with your petty BS, please. 
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2014, 05:03:24 AM »
The "big bang" is falsifiable.

How so?
Thomas Paine