Author Topic: Great scenes in film  (Read 1513 times)

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +437/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Great scenes in film
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »
A movie topic somewhat analogous to the 'what are you listening to now' topic; post a favorite clip from a favorite flick.

Obviously, watching random scenes in movies is not necessarily a good way to discover new media (missing context, spoilers, etc.), but I know there are several members here that have watch a lot of movies.  Maybe this thread will be more of a 'movie nerd reminiscing' sort of thing.  Or 'movie nerds arguing' sort of thing.

Topic may peter out due to difficulty of finding relevant media on Youtube.  We shall see.

Shattered Glass
Chuck Lane gives Caitlin a reality-check:
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Great scenes in film
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
Cashback (NSFW)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:02:42 AM »
I'm unable to provide video links, but some of my favourite:

The desert scene in 'Three Amigos' where Chevy Chase's character ( I think) swills down water for 30 seconds and then ditches the rest, after the other two have shown they have only a drop or sand left in their canteen. From the same movie: "Excuse me: Are you the singing bush?"

Princess Bride: "No more rhyming - I mean it" -  "Does anybody want a peanut?"

"In the line of fire" when John Malkovich is testing his pistol at the lake and tells some duck hunters he plans to kill the president, they respond "why would you do that?"- Malkovich responds "why'd you shoot that bird, asshole?" and shoots them.

And lets face it, pretty much all of "Dead man walking" and many other Sean Penn films.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +437/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
For the kung fu junkies:

Once Upon a Time in China
The laws of physics are laughed at as Wong Fei-hung delivers a reckoning:
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +437/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »
I'm unable to provide video links, but some of my favourite:

The desert scene in 'Three Amigos' where Chevy Chase's character ( I think) swills down water for 30 seconds and then ditches the rest, after the other two have shown they have only a drop or sand left in their canteen. From the same movie: "Excuse me: Are you the singing bush?"
While excellent, that simply pales in comparison to the 'My Little Buttercup' scene.

Princess Bride: "No more rhyming - I mean it" -  "Does anybody want a peanut?"

"In the line of fire" when John Malkovich is testing his pistol at the lake and tells some duck hunters he plans to kill the president, they respond "why would you do that?"- Malkovich responds "why'd you shoot that bird, asshole?" and shoots them.
And this has reminded me to watch this movie again.

And lets face it, pretty much all of "Dead man walking" and many other Sean Penn films.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:43:03 PM »
I just remembered one but I'm currently in a FAUX NOISE lovin' redneck dead animals everywhere restaurant for my mom's birthday (should've went to China Buffet) and though not scared, there is a stuffed turkey butt staring right at me and I can't stop laughing. Hope the food's good, though and post a video later.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »
In no particular order:

Alec Baldwin's scene in Glengarry Glen Ross.

The "I drink your milkshake!" scene in There Will Be Blood.  Including the bowling alley part.

When Gandalf leads Eomer and his riders into Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.

Theoden's speech and the Last Ride of the Rohirim in The Return of the King.

Roy Batty's requiem in Blade Runner. (aka tears in rain soliloquy)

Kevin Spacey telling Brad Pitt he "envies" him in Se7en.

the final sword duel in Sanjuro 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056443/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

James Gandolfini and patricia Arquette's fight in True Romance

All of Raising Arizona. 

Nigel showing Marty his guitars in This Is Spinal Tap  ("goes to 11")

Every other scene in Spinal Tap

the love scene in The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)(I was not a fan of Renee Russo until this)

Tom Seleck & Alan rickman's duel at the end of Quigley Down Under.

Sgt Elias being left behind in Platoon.

Marge with Mike Yanagita in Fargo

the Big Shoe Dance in Pee Wee's Big Adventure

The final at bat in The Natural

when the telegram boy comes to the locker room with a death notice in League of Their Own

Maude throwing her ring into the lake in Harry & Maude

Denzel getting lashes in Glory

opening scene of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ("We were somewhere around Barstown on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.")

Jennifer Connelly on the horse in Career Opportunities. (omg, there was never a more gorgeous human being to walk the earth)

Eddy Murphy crossing the street in Bowfinger

"what is best in life?" in Conan the Barbarian

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:20:20 PM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »
The scene starting at 33 seconds:

The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »

The overall movie was meh, but I cried like a baby at this scene (I'm a girl, so it's allowed :P):

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »

-Nam

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
Idiotocracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

Brawndo has got what plants crave!!

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
Brawndo has got what plants crave!!

My GF and I LOVE this movie! :laugh:

Btw... if you remove the https:// and paste the rest of the link, you can embed the video in your post:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:23:55 PM by Disciple of Sagan »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 04:24:56 PM »
Idiocracy. ;)

-Nam

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
Idiocracy. ;)

-Nam

It took me a moment, but oh, that was too funny :laugh:

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »

-Nam

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +437/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 05:01:18 PM »
Sunset Boulevard
Because this is how you do batsh*t crazy:

- Eddie Izzard

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 07:04:20 AM »
The whole movie is hilarious: Death at a funeral

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »

-Nam

That movie has countless wonderful moments. One of my favorites is when Tim Robbins' character broadcasts the operatic duet throughout the prison, and you see the reactions to that bit of beauty that maybe most of the characters would not have even bothered with had they not been where they were.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
The whole movie is hilarious: Death at a funeral

I have both versions of that film on DVD, the British version is superior, though.

-Nam

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
I have both versions of that film on DVD, the British version is superior, though.

Agreed, as is the case with most American versions of foreign films and tv shows in my opinion. "Le Dîner de Cons" I found to be more hilarious than "Dinner for Schmucks", and I used to love watching Gordon Ramsay's original "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares " before it was turned in to a scripted travesty.  &)

And don't get me started on what they did to Inspector Clouseau. :?

Anywho, another memorable scene from a movie from my childhood, Silent Running:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:48:52 PM by Disciple of Sagan »

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »
Anywho, another memorable scene from a movie from my childhood, Silent Running:

...which isn't the scene I was looking for. :-[

Imagine this:

From IMDb
Freeman Lowell looks after plants in giant space greenhouses. Back on earth, all the trees have long vanished, so Lowell puts a lot of heart into his work. When orders from earth are received to destroy the greenhouses, Lowell can't go through with it, and cannot persuade his three colleagues to help him save the plants, so he makes other "arrangements".

The final scene shows a dying Freeman saving the last remaining botanical dome, leaving the last of his robot helpers to continue to care for the plant and animal life as it drifts forever out in to space.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:06:14 PM by Disciple of Sagan »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
Couplings was inspired by Friends but then there was an American copy of Coupling (same script, same name, different actors) which was terrible and shows the idiocy of people.

However, I will admit that The Departed was really good but I enjoyed Infernal Affairs more. Also, I liked My Sassy Girl better than the original Korean version (Yeopgijeogin Geunyeo) but the Korean version is really good.

-Nam

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »
Oh, and Godzilla (the Matthew Broderick version). Excuse me while I vomit. :-X

I have high hopes for the newest remake, though.

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +14/-1
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »

My favorite movie and my favorite line.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »

-Nam

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
My favorite scene from "Watchmen" is when Doctor Manhattan[1] (whose powers include, but are not limited to: omnipotence and near-omniscience; he's basically a god) gives a small speech to Veidt (self-proclaimed smartest man on Earth). It goes more or less like this.

(After Veidt tried to kill Doctor Manhattan by doing the very same thing that gave Doctor Manhattan his godly powers in the first place, a giant Doctor Manhattan appears outside his fortress and speaks in a loud voice)
Doctor Manhattan: I am disappointed in you, Adrian. Very, very disappointed.
(Doctor Manhattan smashes through the skylight and reaches for Veidt, who retreats in fear and just barely manages to get away)
Doctor Manhattan: Reassembling myself was the first trick I learned. It didn't kill Osterman[2].
(Doctor Manhattan teleports himself within the structure, in front of Veidt, while making himself regular size again)
Doctor Manhattan: Did you really think it would kill me? I have walked across the surface of the sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so rapid they can hardly be said to have occurred at all. But you, Adrian, are just a man.
(Veidt looks at Doctor Manhattan, realizing how futile it is to try to kill him)
Doctor Manhattan: The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite.
 1. If anyone's curious, he carved the symbol I use as my avatar (a representation of Protium) onto his forehead after saying that, if he had to have a symbol, it'd be one he respected.
 2. Jon Osterman was Doctor Manhattan's name before he got his powers.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
My favorite scene from "Watchmen" is when Doctor Manhattan[1] (whose powers include, but are not limited to: omnipotence and near-omniscience; he's basically a god) gives a small speech to Veidt (self-proclaimed smartest man on Earth). It goes more or less like this.

(After Veidt tried to kill Doctor Manhattan by doing the very same thing that gave Doctor Manhattan his godly powers in the first place, a giant Doctor Manhattan appears outside his fortress and speaks in a loud voice)
Doctor Manhattan: I am disappointed in you, Adrian. Very, very disappointed.
(Doctor Manhattan smashes through the skylight and reaches for Veidt, who retreats in fear and just barely manages to get away)
Doctor Manhattan: Reassembling myself was the first trick I learned. It didn't kill Osterman[2].
(Doctor Manhattan teleports himself within the structure, in front of Veidt, while making himself regular size again)
Doctor Manhattan: Did you really think it would kill me? I have walked across the surface of the sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so rapid they can hardly be said to have occurred at all. But you, Adrian, are just a man.
(Veidt looks at Doctor Manhattan, realizing how futile it is to try to kill him)
Doctor Manhattan: The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite.
 1. If anyone's curious, he carved the symbol I use as my avatar (a representation of Protium) onto his forehead after saying that, if he had to have a symbol, it'd be one he respected.
 2. Jon Osterman was Doctor Manhattan's name before he got his powers.

:)

-Nam

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »
<snip>

The best speech ever given by someone who is arguably (undoubtedly?) the most powerful superhero ever created.

:)

I take it you're a fan too.

-Nam

-One
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:50:54 PM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.