Author Topic: new posts  (Read 135 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:11:44 AM »
Am I the only 1 that has to exit and come back to read a new post in a thread I am replying in/reading? 

If a reply is posted while I am replying the system will alert me to a new post when I preview or post but not if I'm not replying. 

Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: new posts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
I don't understand the problem. Are you asking why the forum doesn't refresh pages automatically?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
Re: new posts
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »
Am I the only 1 that has to exit and come back to read a new post in a thread I am replying in/reading? 

If a reply is posted while I am replying the system will alert me to a new post when I preview or post but not if I'm not replying.

The forum software is just running typical HTML and PHP. Viewing a thread is essentially the same as viewing a website in that it wont reload in real time. Refreshing the page by hitting the back button or F5 on your keyboard (or links, or whatever you hit to escape from what you are reading) is the only way to load new comments.

When you are replying to a thread and hit post it'll send a request to the server to reload the page. There's a time stamp in your posts and if the server finds a timestamp to a comment that is earlier than your timestamp, it'll display "There has been a new post", or whatever it says. I can't remember. So, when you do reply and hit POST you are reloading the page and that's why it displays new comments.

There's a lot more too it than that. Pages that refresh automatically have some sort of JavaScript built into the page to refresh. The markup of web forums (HTML and PHP) doesn't include that automatically. It would be too tiresome to read the thread if it was reloading all the time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:00:20 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.