Author Topic: Satanic Temple seeks Hobby Lobby-style exemption  (Read 132 times)

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Satanic Temple seeks Hobby Lobby-style exemption
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »
Satanists are some of my favorite pot stirrers.  First the Oklahoma statue and now law exemptions. 

http://theweek.com/article/index/265471/speedreads-satanic-temple-seeks-hobby-lobby-style-exemption-from-anti-abortion-laws
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
Re: Satanic Temple seeks Hobby Lobby-style exemption
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:32:28 PM »
From the article.

Specifically, the Satanic Temple wants women to be exempt from having to view legally mandated "informational" materials — which it calls "biased" and "medically invalid" — prior to having an abortion. Dozens of states require women to attend counseling before receiving an abortion, while 10 mandate that they receive written materials before undergoing the procedure, according to the Guttmacher Institute.

I can't imagine why anybody should be forced to understand the medical procedure they are about to receive. Now that I think about it....I had to talk to my surgeon a couple of times before I had my hernia patched up. Now that I think back on it...that mother fucker gave me some printed material about it to! Hell he even explained to me some possible alternatives and told me that I should loose weight before the procedure....HOLY FUCK I'M GONNA GO SUE THAT ASSHOLE NOW!

I had no idea my rights were being violated by people trying to educate me about the medical procedure I was about to take.

FUCK THE SYSTEM!

If I want somebody to cut me open and do shit to my body I don't need a bunch of namby pambies talking to me about it...just fucking do it.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »
lol Mr B....

Are you saying that in the case of abortion, fundy asshats should have a right to proselytize their belief system on women?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »
lol Mr B....

Are you saying that in the case of abortion, fundy asshats should have a right to proselytize their belief system on women?

Not at all. All I am saying is that abortion is a medical procedure and that I can't think of any medical procedures that do not come with counseling and written material about the procedure. So I have no idea what the fuck the Satanic Temple  is actually complaining about.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 06:47:14 AM »
lol Mr B....

Not at all. All I am saying is that abortion is a medical procedure and that I can't think of any medical procedures that do not come with counseling and written material about the procedure. So I have no idea what the f**k the Satanic Temple  is actually complaining about.

If you look at the issue more carefully, you will see that the "counseling" is nothing medical at all. It is just another attempt by anti-choice nutters to interfere with women's private decisions.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:45:10 AM »
lol Mr B....

Not at all. All I am saying is that abortion is a medical procedure and that I can't think of any medical procedures that do not come with counseling and written material about the procedure. So I have no idea what the fuck the Satanic Temple  is actually complaining about.

I've had three surgical procedures and have never been forced to participate in counseling beforehand, and I've certainly never been given written information about the procedure. The doctor told me what was he thought needed to be done and why, then scheduled the surgery - no counseling required.

Each surgery was at least as dangerous as an abortion - that is to say, not very - and one was more or less an emergency with little discussion about anything at all. This was the most dangerous procedure of them and we didn't even TALK abut it.

The additional requirements attached to an abortion procedure are ridiculous in light of how other equally minor surgical procedures are handled.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +578/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
Frankly, a colonoscopy is a pretty invasive medical procedure, yet they don't require men to get 'counseling' before having one.  Indeed, like many medical procedures, there is plenty of written material about it, but people do not have that material shoved in their faces, with graphic descriptions of what actually happens included, and required to state that they've read it and understand it fully before being permitted to have one.

Mr. Blackwell, the 'counseling' and such that many states require for abortions is comparable to the kind of 'counseling' that anti-immunization proponents would require people to have before they could get routine immunizations for their children.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:09:36 AM »
Mr Blackwell,
If the counseling was genuine, then it might make sense.  But it isn't.  It is all geared toward talking people out of a legitimate and legal medical procedure.  And it is often misleading or just untrue.   

some info on the "counseling"
http://www.prochoice.org/policy/states/biased_counseling.html
The state materials often require abortion providers to give patients misleading or inaccurate information pertaining to a false link between an increased risk of breast cancer and abortion and the psychological effects of abortion. Despite a significant body of scientific evidence showing no link between an increased risk of breast cancer and abortion,1 and no legitimate scientific recognition of so-called "post-abortion syndrome," such requirements continue to be implemented by biased counseling bills.

http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_MWPA.pdf
? 12 states include information on the ability of a fetus to feel pain.
  ? 5 states require that the woman be told that personhood begins at conception.
? 24 states include information about the risks of abortion.
? 20 states include accurate information on the potential effect of abortion on future fertility; in 5 states, the written materials inaccurately portray this risk.
  ? 5 of the 7 states that include information on breast cancer inaccurately assert a link between abortion and an increased risk of breast cancer.
  ? 8 of the 22 states that include information on possible psychological responses to abortion describe only negative emotional responses.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.