Author Topic: website [#2806]  (Read 176 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
website [#2806]
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:10:38 AM »
Hi,
I wrote to you quite a while back, praising your website, which I still do, and had to come
back to share your website with somebody today but in doing so, I saw, again, that you
capitalize the letter g in god which I wonder if I'm the only atheist who has contacted you
about this?  I strongly object to this and wish you would change this to the lower case
which is all I believe this word deserves as it is nothing more than a vocabulary word.

Thank you,
[name removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Wasserbuffel

• Student
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: website [#2806]
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
God is the proper name for the fictional character. We don't neglect to capitalize Harry Potter's name.

God with a capital G is a specific character, god with a small g is any god character from Odin to Zeus to Shiva. Should we not capitalize their names either?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
"God" (capital "G") is most often used by two religious groups when referring to their specific deity:
Christians/Catholics/Mormons/Whatever (when referring to "YHWH")
Muslims ("Allah" literally translates to "God")

Given that the proper name for the christian/catholic/whatever god is "YHWH", I tend to ask such people, when they refer to their god as "God", if they're Muslims, before explaining what "Allah" means. I can also write about their god by calling it "Allah", rather than "God", as Allah is the only god worshiped nowadays whose name is, quite literally, "God".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »
If all it is is a "vocabulary word" than what does it really matter?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
If all it is is a "vocabulary word" than what does it really matter?

-Nam

I wish it were just a vocabulary word. Plenty of other words would be adequate substitutions. Like pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion