Author Topic: Stephen Hawking: "......are we taking AI seriously enough?"  (Read 131 times)

Offline shnozzola

If a superior alien civilization sent us a message saying, "We'll arrive in a few decades," would we just reply, "OK, call us when you get here – we'll leave the lights on"? Probably not – but this is more or less what is happening with AI.

Stephen Hawking:
“The potential benefits are huge; everything that civilization has to offer is a product of human intelligence; we cannot predict what we might achieve when this intelligence is magnified by the tools that AI may provide, but the eradication of war, disease, and poverty would be high on anyone’s list,” Hawking wrote. “Success in creating AI would be the biggest event in human history. Unfortunately, it might also be the last, unless we learn how to avoid the risks.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/stephen-hawking-transcendence-looks-at-the-implications-of-artificial-intelligence--but-are-we-taking-ai-seriously-enough-9313474.html
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
Re: Stephen Hawking: "......are we taking AI seriously enough?"
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:46:14 PM »
I truly think this is a very legitimate concern.

As it is, software programmers can't even create systems that are 100% hack-proof by human beings. What make us think they'll be able to prevent an AI from getting around whatever constraints they attempt to place on it?
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
I'm moving to Pennsylvania to join the Amish. I'm starting on my beard now.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
I'm moving to Pennsylvania to join the Amish. I'm starting on my beard now.

I hear it's an Amish Paradise.[1]

1. according to Weird Al
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:57:38 PM by Disciple of Sagan »
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
I'll just wait till the Soccer World Cup is finished. I don't think the Amish have a big interest in that.
Go on up you baldhead.