Author Topic: New bible found - Says JC was not the son of god, not crucified  (Read 656 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
It will be interesting what happens if this story starts making the rounds amongst believers and their various churches. Basically it says that a 1500 year old bible that appears to be legitimate says that JC was a prophet, but not the son of god (and he ascended to heaven while alive), that Judas was the one that was crucified, that Paul was an impostor, and, oh yea, Jesus prophesied Mohammed and Islam, or something like that.

http://higherperspective.com/2014/05/1500-year-old-bible-claims-jesus-christ-crucified-vatican-awe.html

Hey, this could start a religious war or something. Not that that would be anything new…
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: New bible found - Says JC was not the son of god, not crucified
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »
Sounds like an Islamic forgery.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
I haven't read any more about it other than this article, and of course I've no idea how accurate it is. Hopefully more info will come out. But you have a good point. It may well be what you suspect, screwtape.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 08:51:37 PM »
Sounds like an Islamic forgery.

Like all other sacred texts are real?  &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »
I dunno how it can be 1500 years old, and Islamic, so that makes it much later/newer.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »
It isn't islamic, but the article says that, while is was written in around 500A.D., that in it, JC prophesied something/someone that looked a lot like Mohammed or something. Of course it might just say "Some guy will make an ass of himself in a couple hundred years" and they would consider that good enough. I dunno.

Obviously it is no more legit than any other religious text, but if it is as authentic as other religious texts, and it does make claims about JC not having such a bad day after all and stuff, it would make for a lot of hemming and hawing by the religious folks on our planet.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +152/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »
Regardless, "beware the man of one book".
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:14:31 AM »
that in it, JC prophesied something/someone that looked a lot like Mohammed or something.

I think Barnabas actually spells Mohammad's name.

http://answering-islam.org/Gilchrist/Vol2/9c.html

Christians point to the gospel's dependence on Dante and a Papal decree for the Jubilee to be every hundred years. Also, I don't think I need carbon dating to date those pages.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-451
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 12:25:30 AM »
Sounds like a fraud, indeed.

unsupported claims removed

For future reference, skep, your posts will not always be modified.  They may be approved in whole if you back up your claims, or they may simply be deleted if you do not. 
~Screwtape
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:30:02 AM by screwtape »
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:53 AM »
I'd certainly be curious to see how the book indicates Jesus was not the Son of God. Seems kind of strange for a book to say what someone wasn't as opposed to what they were, unless the book is specifically addressing (and refuting) what other books say, or what was being proclaimed at the time
Go on up you baldhead.

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 02:59:15 AM »
Oh yeah.. the old problem of how do you retract a fake statement once some has said it.

It says that he wasn't crucified, which kinda throws Christianity down the dunny.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +454/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 06:42:33 AM »
I'm skeptical.  The linked article is sensationalist and cites no scholarship.  It calls the text a "Bible," when it appears to be a Gospel (a copy of the Gospel of Barnabus)--they're not the same thing!  If the writer can't get something elementary like that right, I don't find them very credible.

Second, the article mentions that the article was seized from a gang of smugglers.  So, we have no indication of the book's provenance (where and when it was found originally)  It's also in really good condition for a text that old.  Oh, and it's in an Islamic country and "just happens" to confirm Islamic beliefs. 

OTOH, it's possible that Islam could have been descended from the sect that produced this book, if it turns out to be authentic.  Some of the teachings described did exist in other sects, such as the Ebionites, and there were Gnostic sects that taught various versions of Jesus making his save vs. crucifixion.  So...it's not impossible, but after the James Ossuary, the Lead Codices, and apparently now the "Jesus' wife" fragment, this one's setting off my BS Detector.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
If you read Wikipedia, the gospel of Barny has been known since the 1600's, and there have been various copies that got lost. This could have been the original, written in the 1500's or around that time.

This is the text: http://www.nairaland.com/284890/true-story-jesus-cross-gospel

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
It will be interesting what happens if this story starts making the rounds amongst believers and their various churches. Basically it says that a 1500 year old bible that appears to be legitimate says that JC was a prophet, but not the son of god (and he ascended to heaven while alive), that Judas was the one that was crucified, that Paul was an impostor, and, oh yea, Jesus prophesied Mohammed and Islam, or something like that.

http://higherperspective.com/2014/05/1500-year-old-bible-claims-jesus-christ-crucified-vatican-awe.html

Hey, this could start a religious war or something. Not that that would be anything new…

Interesting.  I admit to being confused about this book being an "original".  Does this mean this Gospel of Barnabas is the first one and all others were copied after this one? 

As always,

OldChurchGuy 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how you tell a fake sacred text from a real one. If any religion had actual proof that their sacred text was real, there would only be one religion (or at least only one version of each religion) because all the rest would clearly be fakes, right?

Religious people generally don't care what scholars or scientists say about their sacred texts anyway. Most religions exist in spite of what scholars and scientists say, not because of it.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »
I suspect that "original" means "not a recent copy; as old as it claims to be". If anyone is expecting it to be signed and dated by Barnabus, they're in for a disappointment.

Oh, and the word "Bible" seems a little generous, too.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 07:47:12 PM »
I suspect that "original" means "not a recent copy; as old as it claims to be". If anyone is expecting it to be signed and dated by Barnabus, they're in for a disappointment.

Oh, and the word "Bible" seems a little generous, too.

Should be interesting to see how this copy compares with the Italian copy. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Barnabas

Surprisingly, Conservapedia has a slightly different take.

http://conservapedia.com/Gospel_of_Barnabas

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +152/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »
I'm so removed from superstitious god-belief that it perplexes me more & more how anybody regards any old religious writings from primitive Palestine (or anywhere else) as having any particularly insights to anything that cannot be arrived at without said books.  Even the "Golden Rule" is a human construct that is simply a product of our natural moral evolution.  I can't help but view those who are hypnotized by the bible, koran, etc as being stuck in a state of stunted infancy.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups