Author Topic: California Chrome - to win  (Read 229 times)

Offline shnozzola

California Chrome - to win
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »
I like the Kentucky derby.  I like the history, the politics, the heart of the horses.  I remember years ago Howard Stern and co. arguing about whether a racehorse knew it was in a race.  We met with a horse border last week at work, she talked about the breeding, and how much money is paid for the offspring of famous horses and how many times it is money wasted.  And how you have "morning glory' horses that wow owners in the AM with speed, and lackadaisically race in the PM.  And I like the hats.

We were talking about Secretariat last week, and how amazing the story of that triple crown winner is.  I recommend the movie.

Here's the youtube of the amazing Belmont win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCMtaNiMDM

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:29:50 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Re: California Chrome - to win
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
Let's put a monkey on your back and hit you with a cane to make you run  faster. Boy that's great entertainment huh?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +60/-32
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
General stats roughly one born in a thousand will make it to the track most rest will be dog food. of those that make most of them will be crippled within a coupla years and become dog meat and fertiser.

i used to work for a horse trader as a kid.  Not a nice scene if you like horses.

i used to shove ice cold vials if stuff in my ass and transport it from stable to other stables a short w and uncomfortable walk away. never knew what was in the vials but made me the richest kid in school.

one horse that never won a race got the stuff in the vials and beat everything by a long distance, the horses internal organs liquified before it could walk from track to stable. died a spasming mess with black liquid running from every orifice .

some people made a lot of money that day.
Signature goes here...

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »
Let's put a monkey on your back and hit you with a cane to make you run  faster. Boy that's great entertainment huh?

Are you against horse racing/equestrian activities?

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:31:36 AM »
You're kidding right? I think my post was very clear.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »
The point was clear but it may have been sarcasm directed at people who make those sorts of criticisms.

Reason I ask was I have been thinking of starting a thread to discuss what it is that makes us morally object to one thing but not to another, when both things are actually pretty similar with respect to being 'wrong'. This horse thing struck me as being a good example. I might start the thread sometime soon.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
  Sounds like a good topic. Good luck.
              -Emo Philips