Author Topic: CUTTERS  (Read 290 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
CUTTERS
« on: May 02, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »
Have you ever known a "cutter".  I have met a few and they either deny God's existence or they are in to satanism.  Why do you think they do this.  Is it a side effect of religion or atheism or neither one.  I am very interested in your opinions on this very disturbing behavior.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline JoeNobody

• Student
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: CUTTERS
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:50:27 AM »
Actually, a very good friend of mine used to be a cutter. She was and remains a christian. Goes to church and everything.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
It is a coping mechanism, it has little if anything to do with religion as it is a reflection of mental health

Why people self-harm
Self-harm is more common than many people realise, especially among younger people. A survey of people aged 15-16 years carried out in the UK in 2002 estimated that more than 10% of girls and more than 3% of boys had self-harmed in the previous year.

In most cases, people who self-harm do it to help them cope with unbearable and overwhelming emotional issues, caused by problems such as:

social factors – such as being bullied, having difficulties at work or school, or having difficult relationships with friends or family
trauma – such as physical or sexual abuse, or the death of a close family member or friend
mental health conditions – such as depression or borderline personality disorder   
These issues can lead to a build-up of intense feelings of anger, hopelessness and self-hatred.

Although some people who self-harm are at a high risk of ending their lives, many people who self-harm do not want to end their lives. In fact, the self-harm may help them cope with emotional distress so they don't feel the need to kill themselves.

From http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Self-injury/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »
I have known a couple myself.  I can never be sure if I'm saying the right thing.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
The only one I "know" is an internet friend who is atheist. I've talked to her on and off since she was a very troubled and confused, but extremely intelligent 14 year old. That was half her lifetime ago. She's had a wild ride of a life--a very addictive personality type. She's gone through struggles with drugs, eating disorders and promiscuity, but seems to actually be settling down. She's 28 now and recently diagnosed bi-polar, on meds, in what appears to be a pretty stable relationship...

The cutting was just one of many addictive behaviors she exhibited over the years. I suppose there may be similarly addictive types who fall into religion as a crutch, but in her case, I think her personality was so against-the-grain independent that it never would have worked for her.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
One of my relatives is a cutter. She is very christian. I can't imagine any causation related to religion.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  A friend's son is cutting.  I don't know what to say.  It breaks my heart.  I've known him since he was 1.  He was given rettilin as a child for ADHD.  Always wild and uncontrollable.  He is getting help now.  I hope it works he is a father now.
Thomas Paine

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +63/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:51 AM »
I've known a couple. They were secular kids, doubt it was a factor though. In both cases the cutting was a symptom of deeper illness, one progressed to full blown anorexia nervosa and failed to finish her education (last I heard she was doing better), the second's behaviour became more and more extreme, she was finally diagnosed with severe bi-polar disorder which culminated in a serious suicide attempt and hospitalization.

I do not know if this downward trend is universal though - I imagine like many coping behaviours (drinking, drug use, eating disorders) there are people who find a way to manage them.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's son; must be tough for a parent to watch.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »
I doubt there's any religious link. I had a Catholic friend who sliced her arms until they looked like rail yards. She hung herself a  bit over a year ago. The other cutters I've known have ranged from Buddhist to Atheist. Cutting acts as a stress reliever and a bit of a cry for help.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 06:30:11 AM »
I think they share a feeling of rejection from society.  That's the hurt.  They listen to dark and dreary music.  They are in to wearing all black and never letting the sun touch their skin so they're pale. 

I think I am making more of a connection with ADHD and rettilin than to religion or non religion.

Thanks again for sharing. :)
Thomas Paine

Offline JoeNobody

• Student
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »
I think they share a feeling of rejection from society.  That's the hurt.  They listen to dark and dreary music.  They are in to wearing all black and never letting the sun touch their skin so they're pale. 

I think I am making more of a connection with ADHD and rettilin than to religion or non religion.

Thanks again for sharing. :)

I would be really hesitant to paint a group of people as diverse as "cutters" with such a wide brush.

If I may, I think that you've fallen prey to a particular cognitive bias called the availability heuristic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic

What may be happening is that when you think of cutters, you call to mind the person you know and apply that to all of them.
Does this make sense?