Author Topic: Let's write a NEW bible!  (Read 192 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
Let's write a NEW bible!
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:50:48 AM »
I do not know if this has been done before, forgive me if it has please.  I just want to see what we can come up with.

I think with all the knowledge here at WWGHA it will be something beautiful.

I think that first we need to know who wants to participate and assign different sections according to the individual talents.

Want to Play!!!  First we need a title.  I suggest The Story of Us.  I don't really like that.  I would much rather it be something that is sequel like.  Bible II isn't catchy enough. 

I want this to be fun but also heartfelt.  Whatta ya say?
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Let's write a NEW bible!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:02:19 AM »
What do you mean junebug72? Write a story about what actually happened a la brief history of time or make up some stuff as an alternative form of woo?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:21:07 AM »
What do you mean junebug72? Write a story about what actually happened a la brief history of time or make up some stuff as an alternative form of woo?

I want it to be as honest as we can make it.  Maybe we should each be given a book like in the bible.  I am open to any suggestions.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:51:15 AM »
Here's the condensed version of the story of us as told by the Barenakedladies...

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
 Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
 The Earth began to cool,
 The autotrophs began to drool,
 Neanderthals developed tools,
 We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
 Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
 That all started with the big bang!

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:53:38 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible
This is good enough for me.

Thanks for sharing mrbiscoop.  It's just for fun.  I wish I could convince you to play.  I will respect your decision.  Thanks again.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:00:05 AM »
Here's the condensed version of the story of us as told by the Barenakedladies...

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
 Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
 The Earth began to cool,
 The autotrophs began to drool,
 Neanderthals developed tools,
 We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
 Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
 That all started with the big bang!

Cool lyrics, I was hoping for something more detailed.  Like for 10,000 years there has been religion.  With each new generation there were new skills developed.   Mankind started to explore the stars.  We built huge telescopes that could see way out into space.  We see new galaxies born before our eyes.  etc etc etc

You are free to put whatever you want in your book.  The Book of Mrjason.
Thomas Paine

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +50/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
Genesis 1:1 – 1:3 by J.E. Hill, Much Creation Ado About Nothing, The Skeptical Review online:

1:1 In the beginning, God set forth a singularity anomaly that created an explosion that, in turn, created space, time and the elements; stars and galaxies were eventually created by the process of combining elements and gravity.

1:2 And the earth was formed from remnants of the star building process; free water eventually formed from environmental processes and primitive oceans.

1:3 There was light from a central star in our planetary system, with the darkness of night the result of the rotation of the planets around the star.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +527/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »
This is what it is all about: The story of life on Earth. Start at 2:00. An hour of brilliant presentation and photography

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +403/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »
A. C. Grayling kinda preempted you with this.  Explanatory blurb from Amazon:

Drawn from the wealth of secular literature and philosophy in both Western and Eastern traditions, using the same techniques of editing, redaction, and adaptation that produced the holy books of the Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions, The Good Book consciously takes its design and presentation from the Bible. In its beauty of language and its arrangement into short chapters and verses for ease of reading and quotability, it offers the non-religious seeker all the wisdom, insight, solace, inspiration, and perspective of secular humanist traditions that are older, far richer, and more various than Christianity. Organized in twelve main sections-Genesis, Histories, Wisdom, The Sages, Parables, Consolations, Lamentations, Proverbs, Songs, Epistles, Acts, and the Good-The Good Book opens with meditations on the origin and progress of the world and human life in it, then devotes attention to the question of how life should be lived, how we relate to one another, and how vicissitudes are to be faced and joys appreciated. Inspired by the writing of Herodotus and Lucretius, Confucius and Mencius, Seneca and Cicero, Montaigne, Bacon, and so many others, The Good Book fulfills its audacious purpose in every way.

"I suppose some might be offended by The Good Book but they needn't be. You don't have to be a nonbeliever to find solace and wisdom in the distilled ideas presented here."-The Huffington Post
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »
Great Stuff Guys.  Keep it going.  Not going to be much help today.  I got a bad case of the blues.
Thomas Paine