Author Topic: I don't believe but I'm still scared... why?  (Read 655 times)

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
  • I'll bleed for my own 'sins' thank you very much
Re: I don't believe but I'm still scared... why?
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
Also, because the subject is horror movies, allow me to present the most horrifying film of the last 20 years.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116756/?ref_=nv_sr_1

*hides in closet shaking in fear*

Don't ever do that again! Dude, seriously!

;D
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
I admit, I had one scary, unexplained event happen. But I was very very young, and today I discount it. Essentially, when I was about 6 or 7, my sister (18 monthsyounger) and I would both go to the toilet at the end of the house at the same time before bed, because it was a bit dark in that area, and scary to go alone. Once, as we were leaving, from the pitch black room across the way we both heard (my sister still agrees that it happened to this day) a small voice say "Help".

We ran.

Of course there was no one there, and today I believe it's just something that I've remembered incorrectly.

I don't think this is the reason why I am so scared of that which does not exist.

The funny thing is the three times in my life something happened that I couldn't find a plausible explanation for was when I was in the bathroom, on the toilet, home alone back when I was a teenager.

All three times over a period of about three months, it was in the middle of the afternoon when I would hear what sounded like one loud knock on the bathroom door (for whatever reason I would keep the door closed even though I knew I was the only one home). All three times I would immediately open the door (which was right next to the toilet) only to find nothing there. I then went through the entire house just to make sure that one of my sisters didn't return home early from school to play a prank on me.

To this day, I still don't know what caused the noise, and neither I nor my parents or sisters have ever experienced anything even remotely "out of the ordinary" in that house (which my folks still live in).

I moved to a new house three weeks ago. Right now it's 2am and I'm listening to something making a thumping noise in the kitchen as I sit in my bedroom. I already know that it's the water heater banging away, but it's still scary. So stupid.

I recall one other thing that happened, when I was possibly even younger than 6. My sister and I shared a bedroom, bunk beds, with me on the lower bunk. Once I was eating an orange in the dark just before going to sleep, and I 'gave a piece of the fruit to something that was under the bed', which then indicated to me (somehow, I'm not sure whether verbally or what) that it didn't like the pips.

Nuts. Crazy kid stuff. But my younger sister seems to recall this event as well. I guess we just spent so much time together growing up we ended up having very similar experiences during childhood, whether they were real or not.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
It's been years since the last time I was scared by a horror movie... it was around 18-19 years of age watching "Prince of Darkness", and the scene where (spoiler alert) the woman trapped in the mirror (which is a doorway to hell) slowly sinks in to the darkness freaked me out.

Dude!!  I always hold this movie up as the one that scared me the most.  The ending, IMHO, is GENIUS.  I auctally *yelled* when the guy rolled over after his dream and found...what he found in his bed.  Holy crap

Wow, I haven't heard of this film. I shall seek it out.

You have been forewarned.

Incidentally, it's from the same director as "Big Trouble in Little China"  (a great 80's flick!!)
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Nuts. Crazy kid stuff. But my younger sister seems to recall this event as well. I guess we just spent so much time together growing up we ended up having very similar experiences during childhood, whether they were real or not.

This sounds like it could be another piece of the puzzle... when you have others sharing the same unexplained phenomenon, whichever reason (no matter how crazy it may now sound as an adult) that is the one eventually agreed upon at the time by those involved will only become more reinforced every time the event is brought up. That, and it's only natural for your younger sister to look to you, her elder sibling, for guidance and answers as to whatever experience you had shared.

The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
Cool nat is aussie who else here beside ad hom and me?  I don't know of any organised atheism groups in aus?

Not horror per se but animal kingdom is awesome, it is pretty spot on with our crime culture, very real kind of. which makes it scary in a non horror way.
Signature goes here...

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »
That just means the writer(s) of those movies did a good job. For example, I was playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance a while ago, and was worried for Raiden (maybe even a little scared of him) when he (copy/paste text to view, as it includes spoilers) said that "Jack is back", referring to his "Jack the Ripper" persona.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:42 PM »
Cool nat is aussie who else here beside ad hom and me?  I don't know of any organised atheism groups in aus?

Try the Atheist Foundation of Australia. You can subscribe to their facebook page for free, or join as a member (costs $$).

Not horror per se but animal kingdom is awesome, it is pretty spot on with our crime culture, very real kind of. which makes it scary in a non horror way.

Excellent, excellent film. Devastating ending.

This sounds like it could be another piece of the puzzle... when you have others sharing the same unexplained phenomenon, whichever reason (no matter how crazy it may now sound as an adult) that is the one eventually agreed upon at the time by those involved will only become more reinforced every time the event is brought up. That, and it's only natural for your younger sister to look to you, her elder sibling, for guidance and answers as to whatever experience you had shared.

Yes, this sounds plausible. However the issue remains - I am afraid of something that does not exist. Ah, whatever. Round and round it goes, not making any logical sense.

That just means the writer(s) of those movies did a good job. For example, I was playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance a while ago, and was worried for Raiden (maybe even a little scared of him) when he (copy/paste text to view, as it includes spoilers) said that "Jack is back", referring to his "Jack the Ripper" persona.

Ah, but see, I never feel any concern for any character in any movie ever, only for the welfare of myself after having watched (specifically) a movie involving some kind of paranormal, supernatural events.

Recently I watched The Mothman Prophecies and even though it essentially had a 'happy' ending (Richard Gere manages to save Laura Linney at the very end), the events throughout the duration of the movie still scared the snot out of me. The entity wasn't even malevolent, it was just trying to communicate that a disaster was going to happen.

At first I thought "It's about a lack of control of the situation; I can't fight a ghost/poltergeist/etc". But I can't fight an Alien, either. I can't fight a werewolf. I can't fight a vampire. So, lack of control is not the issue.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 06:48:02 AM »

At first I thought "It's about a lack of control of the situation; I can't fight a ghost/poltergeist/etc". But I can't fight an Alien, either. I can't fight a werewolf. I can't fight a vampire. So, lack of control is not the issue.

But Aliens/werewolves/vampires are all tangible entities, where a ghost or poltergeist "exists" in sort of a separate realm. To the point that whether it actually exists or not is uncertain. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
Ah, but see, I never feel any concern for any character in any movie ever, only for the welfare of myself after having watched (specifically) a movie involving some kind of paranormal, supernatural events.

Recently I watched The Mothman Prophecies and even though it essentially had a 'happy' ending (Richard Gere manages to save Laura Linney at the very end), the events throughout the duration of the movie still scared the snot out of me. The entity wasn't even malevolent, it was just trying to communicate that a disaster was going to happen.

As I said, it's just good writing. It puts you in a world where those things (ghosts, ghouls, demons, vampires, and so on) exist. You accept that fact and go from there. It's called "suspension of disbelief" or something like that.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »

But Aliens/werewolves/vampires are all tangible entities, where a ghost or poltergeist "exists" in sort of a separate realm. To the point that whether it actually exists or not is uncertain. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Hmm, good food for thought. You may be on to something there.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »
You aren't scared of vampires, because you have to invite them in.

I was watching a scary movie on TV last year. At the peak of horror, when a loud sound came out of the TV, the possum decided to jump from the roof across to the palm trees, which made a loud thump on the window. (However, I didn't know it was the possum.)

Although I'm theoretically scared by movies, I forget to be scared, very rapidly.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
I defy anybody to not be frightened, it is a natural human response. Place a person in a darkened room no matter how much they profess they don't believe and they will hear noises, which they will try to rationalise.  Or say spend a night in a museum, or a forest alone. When we feel vulnerable, our self protection meter rises. Fight or flee.

Have you ever read "the pit and the pendulum" by E A Poe.

I have a breathing condition, and when I'm half a sleep, I can sometimes hear what appears like someone breathing right next to me. this is because my lungs double breathe if you like, I get a second breath of which I cannot feel but I can hear. For a time it was quite discerning. The mind and body will play tricks with us, not deliberately, but mainly because we miss a lot of what going on because our sense are not the best for this world, but there good enough for us.

How about those of us who are indifferent to almost everything? I have hundreds of horror films on DVD, I got them attempting to find one that could scare me: none of them did. "Scary movies" don't scare me. Noise in the night doesn't scare me either. Last night, around 3am I heard a noise and I went to find out where it came from, I wasn't frightened.

Your premise is flawed.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
Your premise is flawed.

-Nam

or perhaps you're just a freak.  :-)
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces