Author Topic: A Crisis Of Faith  (Read 98 times)

Online lotanddaughters

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-26
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
A Crisis Of Faith
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »
I first stumbled across Peter Boghossian about 2 years ago on Vimeo or YouTube. It was a lecture. I liked his style.

Because I enjoyed the first video, I clicked on another one of his. I found out he had a book called A Manual For Creating Atheists. That's when I started hearing the term "street epistemology".

And that was all fine and dandy. Since I had pretty much exhausted the entire video library of Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, etc., I decided to watch Peter Boghossian's videos as well.

Today, I go to YouTube, and they got these "Recommended For You" videos or what not. One caught my eye. It is titled "How to Talk People Out of Faith (Intro to Street Epistemology)". It shows a few interactions with believers.

There was a link in the description section to some guy's YouTube channel. His name is Anthony Magnabosco. He's got all these videos where he tries to make people question why they believe what they do. He's not even that smooth of a talker. Kinda shitty actually. It almost sounds like he's reading from a script. Almost. However, this dude provokes some serious thought. In this one video, he's talking to a young man named Carlos. Then it shows Carlos two days later, and you can see that this kid is probably well on his way toward atheism.

Moral of the story: Never underestimate Satan. He might take the form a snake or even a shitty telemarketer. Either way, he is dragging more and more of God's children toward Eternal Hellfire.

Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Online lotanddaughters

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-26
Re: A Crisis Of Faith
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »
In retrospect, I was too harsh on Anthony Magnabosco's speaking ability. When I created this thread, I had only watched the one video of Carlos. Considering Anthony is only asking people for 5 minutes of their time, and he gets a stopwatch going, this dude is coming across as smoother and smoother with each passing video. This street epistemology business is causing somewhat of a stir with the apologists in this video:

Online lotanddaughters

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-26
Re: A Crisis Of Faith
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:30:46 AM »
This video is the first video in a playlist titled "Street Preacher Troy". In this first video, Anthony's encounter with Troy seems sort of hostile. In the videos that follow, the discussion seems to grow a little more civil. Then, in the thirteenth video, it ends up back at hostile.

Here is the entire playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh10RgQgGuM-mZaGfD5qgcalxxEr5UmAT

In this first video, the interaction doesn't really start until about 22:05 into the video.

For those who are only interested in the more confrontational clips:

Video #1(this video), starting at about 51:30.
Video #2, starting at about 12:38.
Video #12, 5:45-6:15.
Video #13.