Author Topic: Spark of life: Metabolism appears in lab without cells  (Read 206 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Spark of life: Metabolism appears in lab without cells
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:31:04 AM »
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25471-spark-of-life-metabolism-appears-in-lab-without-cells.html

Cue theists crying out "Well, you still haven't shown a monkey giving birth to a human, so evolution is not proven!"

Found on TTA.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
Re: Spark of life: Metabolism appears in lab without cells
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »
Fascinating article. Thanks, OAA.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
Life is chemistry; no magic needed to explain it or ultimately produce it from nonlife. Just time, materials and an improved understanding of how things work.

Very interesting, One Above. Metabolic reactions outside a cell membrane; yet another bit of complexity reduced / explained.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +47/-416
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »
I thought many scientists have to repeat the same results in order for it to be considered science? It shows one study was done. Let's see how many other scientists can come up with the same results via experimentation.

Plus the first line says the metabolism has arisen spontaneously. if this is true, then it's obvious God can exist spontaneously with no cause.

This just reaffirms my faith in God.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +657/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »
I thought many scientists have to repeat the same results in order for it to be considered science?

Per usual, you do not understand what science is.  If the experiment followed the scientific method, it is science. 

Is it conclusive?  No.  Do we put 100% stock in this experiment?  No.  Should we be excited?  Sure, why not.  Should other scientists try to replicate the results?  Yes, absolutely. 

But it is still science.

Seriously skeptic, you should probably stfu about science.  You know a few key words, but overall, it mainly flies over your head because of jesusyou completely miss it. 

Also you should know the difference between science and journalism.  Often times the journalist overstates or misunderstands the science.  But still, you should probably stfu about science.

Plus the first line says the metabolism has arisen spontaneously. if this is true, then it's obvious God can exist spontaneously with no cause.

How so?  It looks like apples and oranges to me.  Metabolism is a set of chemical reactions that take place in time-space between elements of already existing matter.  God is... none of that.  Not physical, so no chemical reactions and not matter.  Supposedly exists outside time and space, whatever that means, so not that.  And according to y'all, god existed before matter, so it could not have arisen out of prior existing material.  So, please, connect the dots.  How do you get from chemical reactions to a supernatural, disembodied personality with infinite power? 

It sounds like you dashed off a post before thinking about it. 

Truly, I expect every outcome to do that. 

The problem with that is, it means your brain is broken.  If I had a machine that sorted good eggs and bad eggs, but every egg was sorted into the good egg pile, it would tell me that the machine comes to the same conclusion no matter what and thus, is not functional.   You are the machine.  No data, no input would indicate to you that there is no god.  You also come to the same conclusion regardless of the data, thus your mental capacity, with regards to god, is not functional. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »

I think you mean "then it's obvious LIFE can exist spontaneously with no cause," don't you?

For most people (assuming the experiment is replicated and confirmed), this should make the tiny gap god existed in, even smaller.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
Skeptic, say hi to God. Have not seen him since 8th grade. I got singed eye brows, God was just part of the gang. In fact he did no tricks!

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +69/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »
I thought many scientists have to repeat the same results in order for it to be considered science? It shows one study was done. Let's see how many other scientists can come up with the same results via experimentation.

Honest question...

Are you an atheist posing as a fake Christian?   The reason I ask is that you toss all the most obvious, easily refuted, points... almost as if you were just enjoying taking the other side of the debate, but knowing that it has no merit.

Like... if we found intelligent life on other planets with no concept, or a totally different concept of god... I'd imagine you'd say something like, "Hey, this proves that God created this magical universe for life to exist, and now we have to take Christianity for other planets... nevermind that the Lobster Hive Mind of Zenu 3 can't be crucified, Jesus still died for them too!"

You'd have intelligent lobsters faking driving nails through each other's succulent claws to reenact the Easter story in underwater churches all over Zenu 3.

We could have a fundraiser to ship bibles through interstellar customs...

(no I don't believe in intelligent lobsters, but, it's more likely than the Old Testament being accurate)
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.