Author Topic: Die Weisheit der Welt ist Torheit vor Gott [#2803]  (Read 270 times)

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Die Weisheit der Welt ist Torheit vor Gott [#2803]
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:13:25 AM »
1. Korinther 1,18-31

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  To save everyone the bother of going to Google Translate or whatever, I'm taking care of it for you here.  The subject is German for "The wisdom of this world is foolishness with God."]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
Re: Die Weisheit der Welt ist Torheit vor Gott [#2803]
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:06:34 AM »
Nein, es gibt keinen Gott, weise oder nicht
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »
Strudel.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
Torheit actually translates to wrongness, which gives an interresting twist to the whole thing. God doesn't like the people of the world having wisdom ... Well, given his little tapdance with that tree, way back when, that's hardly a surprise
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:23:06 AM »
My take on the Corinthians quote:  The world has all the street smarts, and Biblegod is simply an idiot.  ;D
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +541/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »
The passage begins at v. 18 with Paul stating what is actually a fairly true statement to the effect that non-believers see the "power of Christ" as idiocy, but the Christian sees it as Salvation.

The next verse (19) shows what the Church is all about - ignorance. Paul realised that there were well-educated people in Corinth who had spoken against him and therefore he needed to attack them. He does this by saying that God will destroy knowledge and understanding. He supports this by reference to  Job:5:12-13; Isa:19:3, Isa:19:11, Isa:29:14; Jer:8:9.

Obviously, there were those who didn't see Yahweh as a god of any importance back in OT times, and, as Paul was speaking, they were still there. To any religious sect, it is essential to make the believers compliant with the nonsense of their dogma.

Paul now moves in to claiming that what is taught by the Church is the Truth and all other opinions are false. You will have heard this from many politicians. You will note that there are no examples, and no arguments here: just rhetoric.

He then states how wonderful God is 1Co:1:25: Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

The next verse gives you an idea of how Paul's campaign was going - it was going badly. He had managed to gather around him a few uneducated people: 1Co:1:26: For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 1Co:1:27: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

He explains this by saying that the well-educated cannot understand but I know that you morons will understand. It sets the poor against the rich; it makes the ill-educated seem advantaged. As you look at Christianity today, you see the same thing. The demographic of the Christian is one of, generally lower educational standards. Paul does more than this: he says that "If you listen to his interpretation, you will understand. And here is a man who never met Jesus and makes it up as he goes along.

The letter ends by saying if you are a Christian, then you are much better these educated people.

Paul obviously was rabble rousing. There is nothing in what he says other than opinion.

The OP has been taken in by this and seems to identify himself with the uneducated, unthinking, gullible believers.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”