Author Topic: Are most old people dicks, or are these the minority?  (Read 352 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +291/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Are most old people dicks, or are these the minority?
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:11 AM »
I have noticed that a lot of old people I interact with IRL or see tend to be dicks, plain and simple. Here are a few examples (most of which relate to my family since they're the ones I interact with the most).

One complained a friend of mine was cutting in line for the bus. She was right. She then proceeded to cut in line in front of him, as well as myself (I had been the fifth or so to arrive - my friend arrived later - and she knew it). In fact, everyone that day cut in line in front of us.

A group of three people just yesterday cut in line in front of me, even though I had been the first one to arrive at the bus stop, and they all saw me, as I was sitting plainly visible where they had to pass by in order to sit on the opposite bench. They didn't even wait for the bus driver to turn on the engine; as soon as he sat down and they saw me approaching, they went in after him. One lady that was part of this group was going to buy a ticket. She knew she was going to buy a ticket. However, she entered the bus from the left side of the doorway (which is for people with bus passes) and completely blocked the way for everyone else. She took one small step toward the way she should have entered through, which only made the problem worse. I was carrying my backpack, so I had to squeeze myself and my backpack (risking injury to my calculator) against the pole, stay on the tip of my toes (not sure what the proper expression here is) and slowly move further into the bus to keep the line moving (as other people - people who had respected the arrival order - were waiting in line behind me).

My grandmother thinks everyone owes her something, even though she was (and still is) a bitch for most of her life. When my mom told her my dad had hit her (this was over 20 years ago, though, making her <60 years old at the time), her response was "Bem feita!" (literal translation: "Well done!"; loose/more accurate translation: "You deserved it!").
When I asked her to try a coconut water sample at a shopping mall, as she said she liked it, she did so. As soon as she got to the stand, she started giving a speech about coconut water. She tasted it a bit, grimaced, and then gave yet another speech about how the coconut water she had offered was bad.
In addition, she claimed that, once she retired, she would help take care of one of my cousins (who's mentally handicapped). She only retired because my mom told her to, and once she did, she took care of my cousin about as much as YHWH took care of Job.
She also claims that she wants to help the elderly and homeless. She complains about not being able to go outside ([sarcasm]apparently the locks on her door are magical and don't respond to keys unless someone is there to pick her up; not to mention the fact that bus passes don't work anymore[/sarcasm]). She also complains about being lonely. My mom told her about the soup kitchens we have where she can both meet and help the elderly, and help the homeless at the same time. She started complaining about her tendinitis. When my mom told her to go see a doctor and take anti-inflammatory medication, she changed the subject.
She says she's a great believer in "God", yet lies through her teeth and gets pissed when other people tell the truth. For instance, I went to her house because a repairman (a free[1] repairman, if I might add) saw a few loose wires either underneath or on top of her oven (which she never uses, mind you) and "yanked them out" (he didn't; he'd have to, quite literally, yank them all the way out of the wall). She said the repairman was coming over again and wanted me to be there because he was "rude" and "scary". I got there, he had already left. She explained that he had put the wires back on top of the oven. I spent some time with her, and he came back shortly afterward. He couldn't have been more polite without sounding creepy. He said he had been thinking about her problem, and figured out what he had done wrong: the wires were supposed to go under the oven and not over it, as they would overheat, melt, and short-circuit if they were over it. As he fixed it, my grandmother blabbered on about how she had "yanked [me] out of class" (she hadn't, and she knew she hadn't) and that I was "an engineer" (I am studying Engineering Physics, but I haven't even finished the first year) and got upset when I explained what my course really was and which year I was in. She also added how she was "afraid" to use the oven (which she has used a grand total of one time since moving, I shit you not; the only reason she hasn't used it more often is because, that one time, she burned the food and blamed it on the oven). The man apologized, shook hands with her and myself, and left. Once he was gone, she said she was "worried" I would "desmentir" (literal translation: unlie; loose translation: tell the truth on/about) her in front of him.

My great-aunt (my grandmother's only living sister) is no better. She offered my mom and me a crappy refrigerator as if it was some kind of gold mine, then got my cousin (her son) to offer it to us himself and insist on it. My mom explained to him, as she had explained to her, that our fridge was better and we didn't want or need it. He gave up afterward.
She also has a bad habit of flaunting her money on our faces, while complaining about having to pay for things like her sister's (my other great aunt's) funeral or her medical bills after she herself said her sister needed to be in a home, as she (her sister) had broken her arm and couldn't do things for herself.

My mom has had an elderly woman yell at her for trying to help her with groceries or something. She offered, and the woman yelled at her, saying "I don't need your help!", to which my mom replied that she had been raised to help others.

I went to an ophthalmologist appointment yesterday. As I was leaving, I held the door open for an elderly lady who was approaching. She didn't even look at me or say thank you. By comparison, a much younger woman approached about a second later, and I held the door open for her as well. She looked at me, smiled, and thanked me.

So, is this just my country, do I just have bad luck with old people, or is it selective memory kicking in?
 1. Due to her age.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: Are most old people dicks, or are these the minority?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »
My mother is 83 and just about the nicest person I can imagine. She's not a believer either.  ;D 

All my friends want her to adopt them.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
I have noticed that a lot of old people I interact with IRL or see tend to be dicks, plain and simple.
I didn't read any further. That's because I'm old and grumpy.

But you are quite right. I am an old person. And I am a dick, plain and simple. I have made a conscious effort to be a dick. You realise I wasn't always like this. Once I was like you, young and perfectly normal, got all the answers to life, thought old people were dicks.

Do you know what caused the change?

A sudden realisation on my 60th birthday that the young are all tossers, cretins and know-alls. Your music stinks: it's loud, tuneless and you can't whistle it; your fashion is stupid and overpriced, you torture the language and grammar, you have no concentration, you don't know the value of money, you have it too easy, you sponge of your parents, you ask stupid question, you don't know the meaning of "work", etc. Listen to this! We gray-wolves keep telling you about our experience, but you don't listen and make all the same mistakes - you never learn!"

But wait! Good news, everyone! If Jesus lets you live, you will become old and you will wake up one birthday and say, "Graybeard was right! Good job I bookmarked his post so I could go back and rep him."

OK, I read about the three people who got on the bus. They were right, you were wrong. When you are old, you can do anything… hear that? “Anything.” and you know what? We are right when we do it.

Look at you! Sitting there, nowhere near the place where the bus stops. They obviously took you for one of those people who sleep in bus-stops because they think it’s “cool.”

And what were you doing? Reading a book! <sarcasm>So it's obvious that you were in a hurry</sarcasm> Those old people have read more books than you. One of those books says, “Always give way to old people. They get on the bus first. Always allow a lady to board the bus first.”

Listen! By how many minutes were you delayed when you got to your stop? You and they arrived at that stop at the same time.

I read about your grandmother: she’s great, tell her I told her. She proves old people can do anything, any time and anywhere.

Imagine a country where you can tell the truth all the time. Freedom of Speech! – are you imagining that? OK, that’s where we Old People live: and no one can stop us.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:34:50 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +291/-37
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:50:48 PM »
My mother is 83 and just about the nicest person I can imagine. She's not a believer either.  ;D 

All my friends want her to adopt them.

I do know there are exceptions to this, which is why I used "most" in the thread's title, rather than "all".

I didn't read any further. That's because I'm old and grumpy.
<snip>

If your point was that not all old people are dicks, it's moot, since I never claimed all old people were dicks. It's also moot because you were a dick in your post.
If your point was that most old people are dicks, I guess your experience as an old person is trustworthy.
If your point was that all old people are dicks, then, again, it's moot, as that's simply impossible.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +129/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »
I think the older generations have a wealth of history and wisdom available if we stop being dicks and pay attention.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +291/-37
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
I think the older generations have a wealth of history and wisdom available if we stop being dicks and pay attention.

First of all, that's not always true. Memory loss and such, correlates with old age.
Second: Books? The Internet? TV? Historians? Preserved newspapers?
We choose our own gods.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +129/-6
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:40 AM »
Memory loss is an issue with some.  But I like to hear stories from the old folk's perspective, with their individual contributions and insights.  Media history sources are fine but I like the color that is added when it is someone's personal reflection.  Even crotchety old people can be comic relief.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +291/-37
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Memory loss is an issue with some.  But I like to hear stories from the old folk's perspective, with their individual contributions and insights.  Media history sources are fine but I like the color that is added when it is someone's personal reflection.  Even crotchety old people can be comic relief.

That's your PoV. I also want to note that you think young people are the dicks (as you said in your previous post). I have never been a dick to an old person who didn't deserve it.
For example, I was a dick to my grandmother prior to the coconut water incident I mention in the OP (but on the same day) because, after I ate a hotdog, she asked me if I wanted some chicken soup. I politely declined.[1] Her reply: "I'll buy two". I told her, somewhat angrily, that, if she did, I wouldn't eat it and it would be a waste of food and money, as I did not want it. She started bitching about how I was being "rude", to which I said that she was the one being rude, as I had already explained that I didn't want it and why, and that she wasn't treating me as the rational adult I am. She whined about how she actually was treating me like an adult. I interrupted her and (again, somewhat angrily) explained that she wasn't respecting my decision, which, to me, was both insulting and disrespectful to me directly. She then said a few more things that are personal to me (not insulting[2]; just related to things I don't want to discuss here), so I won't expand on that.
I have never had to deal with that kind of bullshit from anyone online. Ever. Even though they/you knew my age, they/you respected me. My friends (online or otherwise) quickly realize that if I say "no", it fucking means "no". If I say "yes", it means "yes". It's not that hard.
 1. I think I said something like "No thanks, grandmama. I already ate a hotdog. I just wanted to eat something because I was feeling a bit hungry, but I'm not hungry anymore.".
 2. If you ignore the stupidity behind her statements.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »
I ate a hotdog, she asked me if I wanted some chicken soup. I politely declined.[1] Her reply: "I'll buy two".
 1. I think I said something like "No thanks, grandmama. I already ate a hotdog. I just wanted to eat something because I was feeling a bit hungry, but I'm not hungry anymore.".
You have a first-class troll as a grandmother! I envy you! These people are as rare as hen's teeth. This woman is wonderful! Tell her to join WWGHA and I will give her rep based on her personality and ability to wind people up effortlessly.

You have to admit that you swallowed it hook line and sinker. You were trolled by an old person.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +291/-37
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:25 PM »
You have a first-class troll as a grandmother! I envy you! These people are as rare as hen's teeth. This woman is wonderful!

No, she really is that dumb.

Tell her to join WWGHA and I will give her rep based on her personality and ability to wind people up effortlessly.

She doesn't know how to use a computer. She doesn't even want to learn. Apparently having used a typewriter for nearly as long as she's been in Portugal doesn't qualify as training, and the whole mouse thing is just too complex. She doesn't even know how to use a cellphone properly.

You have to admit that you swallowed it hook line and sinker. You were trolled by an old person.

Again, no, she really is that dumb and egocentric. Trust me. I can give you an example on why she's practically a psychopath.
We choose our own gods.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +129/-6
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »

Again, no, she really is that dumb and egocentric. Trust me. I can give you an example on why she's practically a psychopath.

But was she always this way, or did she just get like this when she got old?  My mom's mother could be a downright fizzy douchebag when she wanted to but she was like that as a young woman, too.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +291/-37
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »
But was she always this way, or did she just get like this when she got old?  My mom's mother could be a downright fizzy douchebag when she wanted to but she was like that as a young woman, too.

I'm not sure. My mom says she has been this way for as long as she can remember, but my uncle says otherwise (although he thinks her attitude is just fine most of the time, so his opinion is probably moot). She herself claims to have helped her sisters, brother, mother, parents, maids, and so on, when she was young.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
If 36 is old than I am an old dick but my dick is pretty active even though it too is a dick.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »
I have little knowledge of dicks.  Can someone please explain the benefits of being a dick?  Just swinging around looking for a vagina doesn't sound like me, except for the va-jj.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

What if my balls get gawded?  Doesn't that hurt? :?

I just had a vision of a dick with legs!!!  :o  Those little wind up ones!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99