Author Topic: Return of the Neanderthals  (Read 682 times)

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
Return of the Neanderthals
« on: November 25, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »
Nov. 24, 2008

Here's the next question in the evolution debate: We know roughly how the sequence of life ran forward in time. What about running it backward? How would you feel about rewinding human evolution to a species that's almost like us, but not quite?

Last week in Nature, scientists reported major progress in sequencing the genome of woolly mammoths. They reconstructed it from two fossilized hair samples. One was 20,000 years old; the other was 65,000 years old. Now, according to Nicholas Wade of the New York Times, biologists are discussing "how to modify the DNA in an elephant's egg so that after each round of changes it would progressively resemble the DNA in a mammoth egg. The final-stage egg could then be brought to term in an elephant mother."

Cool, huh? But that's not the half of it. Wade notes:

The full genome of the Neanderthal, an ancient human species probably driven to extinction by the first modern humans that entered Europe some 45,000 years ago, is expected to be recovered shortly. If the mammoth can be resurrected, the same would be technically possible for Neanderthals.

In fact, Wade points out, there are good reasons to re-create a Neanderthal: "No one knows if Neanderthals could speak. A living one would answer that question and many others."

Whoa there, says Richard Doerflinger of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: "Catholic teaching opposes all human cloning, and all production of human beings in the laboratory, so I do not see how any of this could be ethically acceptable in humans." Wade concedes that "there would be several ethical issues in modifying modern human DNA to that of another human species."

more here

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
Re: Return of the Neanderthals
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »
I saw a show the other night that says that Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens could have cross bred, which is much different than the "out of africa" theory.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:30:15 AM »
Small problem; We are not directly related to neanderthals. They evolved as a separate offshoot of development. Gentic testing proved it a couple years ago.

It's better to say they're our cousins once (at least) removed instead of grandparents.

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
Small problem; We are not directly related to neanderthals. They evolved as a separate offshoot of development. Gentic testing proved it a couple years ago.

It's better to say they're our cousins once (at least) removed instead of grandparents.

In that case, we better not create neanderthals in West Virginia or Kentucky. 

My hats off to my family in Kentucky and college friend who informed me it is legal to eat roadkill in good ol' WV.
How do you define soul?
"A baseless assertion by simple-minded, superstitious individuals"
   -Starstuff

Offline Count Iblis

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 10:31:38 PM »
Did we not all learn a lesson from Jurassic Park?
Religion is an act of sedition against reason.--P.Z. Myers

To find out more about the Evil Atheist Conspiracy visit http://www.atheistthinktank.net/

you know, hell is going to be so jammed full of lying Christians that I fear I will never get in.  --velkyn

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »

They have not yet sequenced the genome for neanderthal.  Once they do, they'll be able to tell if there was any interbreeding.

I'll be the first to tell you that I'm no anthropologist, but what I saw on Nat Geo was extremely interesting...and I did stay at a holiday in express.

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »

No.  We did not.  :)

Actually I was thinking about this very topic a few days ago, unaware that any such scientific inquiry was going on.  But I think it would suck to be the one living neanderthal in a world of homo sapiens.  eHarmony would be a real waste of time...

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 10:40:40 AM »

No.  We did not.  :)

Actually I was thinking about this very topic a few days ago, unaware that any such scientific inquiry was going on.  But I think it would suck to be the one living neanderthal in a world of homo sapiens.  eHarmony would be a real waste of time...

You know there are always those hot freiky women that like the weird guy...like Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman....or Heidi Klum and Seal.

The last Neaderthal probably died from laying too much pipe.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »

They have not yet sequenced the genome for neanderthal.  Once they do, they'll be able to tell if there was any interbreeding.

I'll be the first to tell you that I'm no anthropologist, but what I saw on Nat Geo was extremely interesting...and I did stay at a holiday in express.

Full sequence no. But there been tests which show double the number of different genes than you'd expect for direct descendants.

Think of it this way, somebody checked the floor plan and found that it doesn't match. We haven't checked the blue prints to make absolutely sure.

And yes I know that analogy doesn't cover the interbreeding issue. I couldn't think of one fast enough.