Author Topic: Genetic theories explaining some of the genetic components to homosexuality  (Read 1123 times)

Offline rickymooston

I read an article recently in a reputed magazine, sadly I can't remember which one, claiming one theory for homosexuality MIGHT be a reproductive ADVANTAGE in cases where one has more "masculine" (women) or more "femininin" traits (men).

Speaking as a guy, I'll confess I do actually get attracted to certain kinds of "male" traits; i.e., a girl with more interests in common with me and less "feminim" temperment might be more attrractive to me.

The article also discussed and dismissed the idea that the gay relatives might benefit their siblings, which is another theory going around.

Sorry that I have no references.

I'm curious if anybody has any scientific links on the subject.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Is this article along the lines you were thinking of?

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12465295
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline rickymooston

Is this article along the lines you were thinking of?

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12465295

I wish they had karma on this board but YES, that is the article I was refering to.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Unfortunately homosexual males/females offer no advanced characteristics that members of the opposite sex (the one they are impersonating) can't already offer. A gay "uncle" figure or lesbian "aunt" figure are merely counterfeits of what could naturally be a biological fit by a member of the opposite sex anyways. It doesn't even mean those masculine females or feminine males are even homosexual, at least in the wild. It means they have traits of the opposite sex that fit in with what is expected of the opposite sex anyways. Perhaps it's gap filling, in some cases.

I've often wondered just that actually. How is it that many, many homosexual men chase feminized men? They're not trying to woo masculinity, they're chasing the femininity of that male. I've noticed also that many lesbians will also fit a nuclear family prototype - one is the feminine and the other is the masculine. Why? Why don't they both adopt feminine or masculine roles? Why do so many homosexuals try to "cover" the opposite sex role?

Offline rickymooston

I've often wondered just that actually. How is it that many, many homosexual men chase feminized men? They're not trying to woo masculinity, they're chasing the femininity of that male. I've noticed also that many lesbians will also fit a nuclear family prototype - one is the feminine and the other is the masculine. Why? Why don't they both adopt feminine or masculine roles? Why do so many homosexuals try to "cover" the opposite sex role?

Well, I'm not gay. However different people attracted to different things. A lot of gays prefer 'straight acting" gays ... OneSimous would be a better authority here. No idea if he's still on the forum, lol. Might be some others who are gay or who know a lot of gays.

I only know, I'm attracted by some "masculine" qualities in females. (Not physically masculine ones tho.)

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Like what? Likes to play video games with you? Watches hockey? What kinds of things?

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
Think Amazon. Least that what I'm thinking (and liking)

Offline rickymooston

Like what? Likes to play video games with you? Watches hockey? What kinds of things?

Precisely. I have no clue if tomboys are more "masculine" in fact but some of them are loads more attractive to me than fashion model types.

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Yes but that's just a mans way of having his gender associative same interest cake and eating it too. The same goes for women who want men to watch chick flicks. If the guy LIKES the chick flick he's sensative and caring etc, and it's actually like ruffling the tail feathers - it's a turn on. Oppositely when men act like they are masculine they can also cause women to be attracted to their masculinity.

I firmly believe it's cultural - in other words, western culture is dictating that women should be more turned on by a feminine man than a masculine man. This is most probably the effects of evolution, but it surely has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Offline rickymooston

If the guy LIKES the chick flick he's sensative and caring etc, and it's actually like ruffling the tail feathers - it's a turn on.

That was the author's point. The guy displaying some "femine qualities who is straight might actually produce more children; i.e., that
there is some gene hidden in this.

I agree it is very difficult to distinguish culture from genetics in terms of sexuality sometimes.  Some male behaviour such as aggressiveness is associated with testerone. Some female behaviour is associated with estrogen.

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Genetic theories explaining some of the genetic components to homosexuality
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:53:49 PM »
How does any of that have anything to do with actual homosexuality?

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »
How does any of that have anything to do with actual homosexuality?

The idea is that as the person gets more of these characteristics, they get "closer" to being gay ...

Sorry, just paraphrasing the article a lot.

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
"Closer to being gay" isn't gay. They aren't attracted to the same sex. They just have more characteristics of the opposite sex than others of their sex.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »
"Closer to being gay" isn't gay. They aren't attracted to the same sex. They just have more characteristics of the opposite sex than others of their sex.

I don't know, they may be. I'm not quite clear on the details. I would love to have a geneticist comment on the article ...

I'm not one.

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »
Oh dude, come on. There is a difference between acting gay and actually being gay.