Author Topic: The Science of Dilution ... or mere math and statistics ...  (Read 152 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
The Science of Dilution ... or mere math and statistics ...
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:32:34 AM »
Someone in charge of a municipal water system who doesn't understand the basics of dilution or math should be removed from the capacity as administrator.

Draining reservoir after urination incident shows tenuous grasp of science

The city of Portland, OR will empty a 38-million gallon reservoir after a teenager allegedly urinated in it, according to the Associated Press. It's the second time in three years that Portland is flushing its Mount Tabor reservoir after a urine-related incident.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: The Science of Dilution ... or mere math and statistics ...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:26 AM »
It's people like this that give the rational people in the USA a bad name. Those of us (rest of the world) who don't know the smart individuals think you're all idiots. Even if we do know the smart ones, sometimes, we look at this and think you're such a small minority you're irrelevant, like half a liter of urine in 38 million gallons (approximately 143846000 liters, according to Google) of water.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +543/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:44:05 AM »
Having had to have a catheter inserted when my bladder was full, I can tell you that the human bladder will contain 1 litre of urine when painfully full. In the reservoir, there were 144,000,000 litres.

We are talking homeopathic ratios here, and we ignore all the animals that live round the reservoir and all those whose urine flows into it from its catchment area.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:05:52 AM »
They also seem to be ignoring the fact the urine is 95% (according to wiki) water anyway.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +585/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:09:01 AM »
So, there is at best one part per 144 million of human urine there.

Frankly, the bum needs to get tossed out of his comfy chair and made to work for a living.  Say, at a water treatment plant?  Because right now, he's just wasting taxpayer money because he's going "eww, pee!"