Author Topic: Gradual progression to enlightenment  (Read 191 times)

Offline brinktk

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-1
Gradual progression to enlightenment
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:00:43 PM »
I grew up going to an Assemblies of God church. It was filled with the type that would "speak in tongues" and have bombastic sermons about salvation and damnation...

I really believed back then. But, when I was about 15-16 I really prayed hard to be filled with the holy spirit. It was almost a club at the church I went to, either you were in or you weren't. No matter how hard I tried it just wouldn't happen to me. I started at first to think it was me, then I went to thinking it was part of "his plan", then I became angry and wondered if I just wasn't good enough. Then I just started to realize it didn't matter. I started doing research in history (I ended up getting a degree in history later in my life) and found out that most of what I had believed was bullshit.

After this I kind of went into the whole "there's a god but we just have it all messed up" mode....

I joined the Army shortly after graduating from high school and within 2 years found myself in the invasion of Iraq. That was the straw that really broke the camels back for me. The things I saw and things I experienced simply didn't jive with the fairy tale I had grown up to believe. Every time I deployed after that just reinforced my disbelief and I became more disgusted with the entire idea of a deity. It was this idea of a deity and righteousness that gives people the motivation and will to do absolutely appalling things to other people.

Every time I found another executed body in a river bed, or in a back alley way, or from a carbomb...I just shook my head in exasperation. That is the true face of blind faith...not the rainbows and unicorns version that many theists would have you believe. In my mind it is a sickness and an excuse to force ones will on another. I am so glad I figured it out...at the same time I'm so disappointed in humanity for continuing to cling to the idea despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Gradual progression to enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:06 PM »
An eloquent reply to the "no atheists in foxholes" myth. Thanks for sharing your story.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
Re: Gradual progression to enlightenment
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
It was this idea of a deity and righteousness that gives people the motivation and will to do absolutely appalling things to other people.

Every time I found another executed body in a river bed, or in a back alley way, or from a carbomb...I just shook my head in exasperation. That is the true face of blind faith...not the rainbows and unicorns version that many theists would have you believe. In my mind it is a sickness and an excuse to force ones will on another. I am so glad I figured it out...at the same time I'm so disappointed in humanity for continuing to cling to the idea despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise.

I know well what you are saying. Religion demonises outsiders and makes violence easy.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V