Author Topic: Nice job. [#731]  (Read 769 times)

Offline DL

Nice job. [#731]
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
After almost 45 years, it's amazing that I am only now seeing this clearly.

I was raised a Roman Catholic, was an altar-boy, went to Catholic elementary & high schools, and took my "faith" only moderately seriously.

My brother sent me a youtube clip of George Carlin's religion routine, and as silly as it sounds, this actually made me THINK about my religion and the silliness of it. I did a lot of web-surfing for a few days, going through your entire site in one day, before realizing that the religion I was brought up in was simply a lie.

I just wanted to thank you for spelling this out and literally opening my eyes to this. They say that the enemy of religion is THOUGHT.  If I had only committed myself to THINKING about this part of my life earlier, how different things would have been. That's not to say I would have become a murderer or rapist simply because the fear of hell was now gone; but I certainly would have lived differently, making different choices that weren't tainted by the guilt I was brought up in.

You've done a great service to me and many others. I just wanted to say thanks.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: Nice job. [#731]
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
Come and join the forum.  You will learn a lot more and find a group of people who share your view.  I was raised Catholic also and went through basically the same path as you.  It is so nice to be free of the guilt and see the world as it really is.  Congrats !!!
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline singlecrochet

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:35:18 PM »
I was raised as protestant christian, and I assure you, that guilt thing is there, too!

Welcome!
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
Thomas Paine

"P.S. I pray God sees to it that you get presents this year." - Deelvrd

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the note!  I'm a former Catholic myself.

Here are some other places you might want to browse through...ask for pointers if it seems overwhelming.  There's quite a bit out there, and while quite a bit of it is excellent, not all of it is worth your time!

* YouTube Video channels;

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=2078

* Blogs;

http://planetatheism.com

* TV programs;

http://www.atheist-experience.com -- TV program out of Austin TX with many back episodes

* Audio;

I've got a boatload of podcasts/RSS feeds if you listen to that stuff.  Let me know what you're interested in, and I'll be glad to see if anything in my hold is worthy of your time.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 04:07:12 AM »
Congratulations OP; you're free of the guilt, lies, and total nonsense of religion.  I'm glad this site, and others like it, helped you out.  If you want more, come by the forums and sign up.  We'll share our experiences and you can learn more.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.