Author Topic: Is it time for all religions to accept evolution?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Is it time for all religions to accept evolution?
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »
Because my intention was to point out the fact that their mentality & beliefs are ubiquitous amongst black women, based on my life experience and observations, and I believe that I am correct on this.

As I said: your observations and opinions mean nothing without evidence. All it is are ramblings of a person who seems to think they are correct based on it--evidence holds wait, opinion is just opinion. However, you didn't approach the conclusion of your opinion in that way, you began by berating two black women by calling them stupid for their opinions, and ranted from there. You started your rant based on the fact they are black, and women.  You started by being racist and sexist.

The fact that you rail against said possible factoid, displays something odd on your part.

How so?

Because my intention was to point out the fact that their mentality & beliefs are ubiquitous amongst black women, based on my life experience and observations, and I believe that I am correct on this.  The fact that you rail against said possible factoid, displays something odd on your part.

Really? Then why did you start by berating them? Was the berating necessary to show this observation? If you pointed them out without mentioning their race, and the fact they're stupid (in your opinion) couldn't we Inferred based on the fact you only pointed out two black women?

As already mentioned (too bad about your reading comprehension abilities BTW) I acknowledge that not all black women (or men for that matter) hold this particular brand of mentality/beliefs, but that it is also not exclusive to black women, rather, that it does indeed seem to be ubiquitous among black women.  If you rail at such a suggestion, then I suspect that you too are yet another victim of political correctness, and in an effort to not be seen on the side of "racists", you go to and embrace the untenable position that no ethnic group can possibly have any characteristics, because that - gasp - would be racist right?  It is group-think mentality that is behind your fear of honesty, and this is fully explainable in evolutionary terms with us social creatures, but could also be deemed cowardly.

I never implied or stated or what not that particular ethnic groups can't have differentiating characteristics to others; my point is you didn't start in such a discussion. You started in berating two specific women who are black. You started in a negative racist manner and then tried to cover it up by stating it as if it were a scientific observation.

Your version of a scientific observation: two stupid black women...

How is that not racist?

Please, stop reflecting your negativity on me.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +539/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »
Quote from: jaimehlers
You seem to be stereotyping people online based on perceived political correctness, and that leads me to wonder if your opinions on political correctness aren't affecting your judgment here.
I don't quite follow you there.
Allow me to quote what led me to that conclusion, then.

This is the result of political correctness gone mad that I see around me as well, for you seem to be saying that it's just not possible for an ethnic group to have certain characteristics. Such a view is myopic and a kind of state of denial, perhaps based on fear of what your peers might think of you should you now be viewed as employing sweeping generalizations.
Given the way this came across, I thought it was fair to ask you why you stated that I "seem to be saying that it's just not possible for an ethnic group to have certain characteristics", et al.  It seems like you were referring directly to me, so I'm asking for a straight answer - were you?  And if you weren't, who were you referring to?  It's difficult to tell in that case.

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:25 AM »
Yes, as I look back on that much earlier post, I'm not 100% clear on what you were saying, so my reply was perhaps off target if I didn't understand you.

God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +539/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 01:00:59 AM »
That's entirely possible.  It wouldn't be the first time someone's misunderstood something I wrote and come to erroneous conclusions due to it.

Let me try to clarify.  What I was trying to say is that what you, yourself, have seen in the course of your life experiences is most likely not a random, statistical sampling.  Therefore, the conclusions you come to are at best an informal, personal opinion based on your observations.  They are likely not representative of the full group, in this case black women, that you were talking about, but a particular subset of that group, because you've only observed a non-random subset of that group.  That's what statistical bias is, specifically bias of the estimatorWiki - the difference between what you expect is the case and what actually is the case.  Also note that 'bias' in statistics is not a pejorative term; it's simply a measurement of the difference I just stated.

Indeed, it's practically impossible to be totally unbiased about everything.  Such is the basis of my statement that you don't have to be a racist to hold a stereotype.  A stereotype is simply a simplified pattern of shared traits, which we are evolutionarily programmed to notice.  I don't think it's possible for a human being to not have stereotypes of some kind, if only because they would have to be unable to distinguish differences between people.

Does that make things clearer?

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
Ahh, yes, thanks for that.  I guess at the moment, I felt under attack and wrongly accused by Nam and Kcrady, so when I read your word "stereotype", that came off to me as a similar negative accusation; like "racist light".

So, without getting into the definitions & meanings of "stereotype", I think that perhaps the word "generalization" is perhaps more accurate.  This is a word which has also succumbed in the environment of PC-gone-mad, for the reason there's nothing wrong with the generalization that the Irish love their beer, or that Americans are highly patriotic, or that Chinese are shorter in stature......is that it's generally true, that's why it's a generalization.  The undesirable aspect of generalizing is when one actually applies that generalization in reality to an individual without knowing the individual.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
Yes but is it a generalization that religious black women are "colossally stupid" or were you just being a fuckin' racist?

Personally, I think the latter.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »
Yes but is it a generalization that religious black women are "colossally stupid" or were you just being a fuckin' racist?

Yes, we know what you think on the matter.  Unfortunately those who know me would not agree with you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »

Yes, we know what you think on the matter.  Unfortunately those who know me would not agree with you.

Irrelevant.

-Nam

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +509/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 05:41:23 AM »
From the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/black-women-are-among-countrys-most-religious-groups/2012/07/06/gJQA0BksSW_story.html

Black women are among country’s most religious groups

...according to a nationwide survey conducted by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation.[1] The poll, the most extensive look at black women’s lives[2] in decades, reveals that as a group, black women are among the most religious people in the nation. Although black men are almost as religious as their female counterparts, there is a more stark divide along racial lines.

Now, if those who have been shown to be wrong can simply apologise to Starstuff and admit that they were suffering from excessive white, liberal guilt at the expense of the actual statistics, the topic "Is it time for all religions to accept evolution?" may continue.

GB Mod.

1.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/black-women-in-america/
 2.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/survey-paints-portrait-of-black-women-in-america/2011/12/22/gIQAvxFcJQ_story.html
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »
So if one observes that a large number of the black population shares this line of thinking, one is a racist?  And if one declares that they observe that most Irish people love their beer, then one is also a racist too?
Yes on both accounts.

Not true. Irish is a nationality not a race.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »
Graybeard,

That is irrelevant. He opened with pointing out two black women from the same show, no one else who spoke just like they did (and there were a few, I know I watched parts of both videos) and then berated both of them. He didn't start with observation until others, like you, replied. When mooby, and I said what he said was racist he backtracked, and started making excuses.

If a newbie came in and did that y'all would say what he said was racist. Stop defending what he said, and him. It's pissing me off!

-Nam
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:41:05 AM by Nam »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »
Whatever.  Debate of whether star stuff is racist is over.  You've had your say.  Now, let it go. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 01:53:01 AM »
As I said, no. Religions that don't accept evolution at their start should never accept it.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »
As chance would have it, I was chatting with a creationist a few days ago. He told me that he knows several families in the UK that have taken their children out of school to prevent them being taught evolution and are now home schooling them. He even said one family had remarked about how difficult it was as they (the parents) 'aren't very good at sums.' It would seem those children are destined for a life of living hand to mouth.
And so strangely enough, in their home schooling their children they have provided an example of Natural Selection as evolution begins to remove the stupid from our gene pool.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:39 AM »
I realize I am jumping in here late, but I have thought about this for some time.

I have to comment on the "stupid black women" remark. Firstly, I don't think either of the women is truly "stupid". They function perfectly well in the world, are able to articulate what they think, etc. But the remarks they make are stupid, because they lack understanding of the world. They are sadly mistaken, believe in nonsense and are wrong. Also stubborn and close-minded. In large part because of their religious indoctrination. Which, as has been stated, is heavier among black women than any other group.

Having sad that, I want to add that, because of the racial history of the world we live in, black people do not have the equal right to be stupid. If I say something stupid, it is not because of my race. Someday, we will all hopefully, be able to be stupid without it reflecting on an entire group.

More later.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
I have to comment on the "stupid black women" remark.

Firstly, I didn't state it as "stupid black women".  I said that woman was rather stupid.  Quite a difference.

Firstly, I don't think either of the women is truly "stupid". They function perfectly well in the world, are able to articulate what they think, etc. But the remarks they make are stupid, because they lack understanding of the world. They are sadly mistaken, believe in nonsense and are wrong. Also stubborn and close-minded.

I think we would agree that one isn't either stupid or not stupid, rather, a graduated scale; but if one makes stupid remarks, lacks understanding of the world, believes in nonsense and are wrong, mistaken, stubborn and close-minded as you've outlined, then what constitutes what we might consider "stupid".  I recall Richard Dawkins (no he's not my hero) suggesting that George W. Bush is/was a rather stupid individual, and that could be argued to be true or not true.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 04:39:03 PM »
Okay, you made me go look up a definition of "stupid" because I needed to clarify my own thinking. (Drat you. ;)

I don't think of people as stupid; I think of statements and actions as stupid.[1]

I make that distinction because I have known many, many, illiterate poor people in third world countries; peasant farmers who manage to survive under conditions that would destroy the average middle class American. They know how to keep themselves and their families alive, grow food, care for livestock, fix machinery, catch fish, make rope, dig a latrine, build a house, find water, etc.

But they are ignorant about science, books, and the larger world; therefore they say and do things that I consider stupid. Most of them are also very religious, believing things that I consider nonsense. (One of the things that really pisses me off about religious belief is how it controls the thinking of people with little education.)

The first definition I saw for "stupid" was "lacking intelligence or common sense". I do not think the women in the videos are unintelligent, or devoid of common sense. I think they are more like my peasant friends, ignorant, lacking in knowledge and critical thinking skills, which is very different from stupid.

Maybe I am cutting it too fine, but ignorance and lack of critical thinking leads to people saying things that sound stupid to people who have more information.[2]

I doubt that George Bush is a truly stupid man. I think he was overprivileged, ignorant and unfeeling.  Like Ronald Reagan, he did not care enough about the world to really learn anything, talked in feel-good patriotic soundbites, surrounded himself with highly intelligent sociopaths and did what they said to do. That is bad policy, and we will be cleaning up their messes for decades, but nobody involved was stupid.
 1. Remember, I am a college professor. If I started thinking of people as stupid, I would be surrounded by stupid people....
 2. Although one of the synonyms given for "stupid" was "ignorant", the terms have a different connotation in my mind. 
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »
I doubt that George Bush is a truly stupid man. I think he was overprivileged, ignorant and unfeeling. 

Ignorant.

Unknowing of the rest of the world in which he does not live.

Like Ronald Reagan, he did not care enough about the world to really learn anything, talked in feel-good patriotic soundbites, surrounded himself with highly intelligent sociopaths and did what they said to do. That is bad policy, and we will be cleaning up their messes for decades, but nobody involved was stupid.

Bush 2, yes.   Reagan?  Hmmm ... I think Reagan was a lot more thoughtful than we give him credit for, but he had extensive experience at selling his points as unfine as they were. I think as he aged he narrowed his world in order to deal with it. In his case age was definitely a defining factor in his work.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2014, 09:10:08 PM »
Jon Stewart on The Daily Show has done a serious yet comedic take-down of Sean Hannity's strange support of a nutjob in Nevada, and Rachel Maddow has broadcast a profile of Cliven Bundy as a Nevada resident, Anti-American, pro-Christian, racist nutjob. While I don't know why this guy was given any air time for violating federal law for 20 years, he's definitely an example of a slice of racism in America:

NYTimes: Cliven Bundy Accidentally Explained What’s Wrong With the Republican Party

NYTimes: A Defiant Rancher Savors the Audience That Rallied to His Side

Washington Post: Prior to slavery comments, Bundy said minority groups are ‘against us’

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2014, 11:24:44 PM »

I don't think of people as stupid;

I cannot conceive of how to think of them as otherwise.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
^idiotic?

;)

-Nam

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »
I didn't watched any of these videos but I will leave a message.
I think that we can't ask to religious people to reformate theirs religion because they don't want accept reality.

Example 1 :
Catholics pro-Vatican II believe in theistic evolution.
If we analyse deeply what's theistic evolution.
We can conclude that this is between creationism , ID and evolution theory.

Example 2 :
I was in a vocation school where 80% of students are Muslims (I'm in France).
Two Muslims men who aren't in my section where in my classroom (they were punish).
They were speaking (In French) about Harun Yayha (a well know creationist in the Muslim world).
Also they spoke about the pseudo-miracles in the Qur'an like this http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Embryology_in_the_Quran.
When I listened this fucking conversation. I thought something like : putain de sa mère. (Litteraly : hooker of his/her mother Real sense : WTF).
Muslims think that Quran is a perfect book. Therefore how they can believe that the next verses (2:30-2:34) are metaphorical. These verses are only
bullshits but they'll continue to think that the whole Koran is litteral.

Example 3 :
Tell me a story about yours YEC.

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
Absolutely not. There is absolutely zero evidence that a species can change into another species. This belief is faith based, not scientific. Just because a bunch of people believe what scientists say doesn't mean they are telling the truth. Scientists work for the government who have been known to lie to us all the time.

I wouldn't trust it. I trust God, not man.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +380/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »
Star Stuff:

I watched the second video starting at ~40:00, through the speech made by Patsy (the lady in the red hat).  I did not watch the first video because I...ahem...over-ran my bandwidth allowance watching other videos, and my ISP punishes that by making my 'net really.  really.  slooooowwwwwwww if I keep it up.  Could you please give me the time reference to the woman in the first video to whom you're referring?

I am not convinced that Patsy is any more stupid than the evangelical/fundamentalist norm.  Did you notice that the believers in the audience (I'm guessing, multiple ethnicities) all clapped when she finished, or that the woman who speaks right after her (some other ethnicity) starts out saying Patsy's narrative is "a beautiful story?"[1]  Your thesis seems to be something along the lines of, "Fundy evangelicals are stupid, but OMG, these black women in the videos and a lot of the ones I know are COLOSSALLY stupid!"  I don't see that in evidence so far. 

Patsy made a reference to the Book of Genesis teaching that the words "we" (i.e. Christians) speak become reality.  I've heard that teaching before from Benny Hinn (Israeli Jew).  She said she had an experience of her son talking to her after his death, telling her she'd see him in Heaven.  Carl Sagan reported seeing his departed father (IIRC in Broca's Brain, but I don't have my copy anymore to look it up), mentioned in context of explaining that these sorts of experiences are fairly common for grieving people. 

The "God works all things together for good" and "death is a good thing" stuff is just boilerplate faithspeak of the sort we hear every time somebody survives ("It's a miracle!") or doesn't survive ("God took him/her home" "We'll see them in heaven") a plane crash or other disaster.  Remember those white, male firemen crowding around the "9/11 cross" to pray, how Christians everywhere were soooo awed by the miiiiiiiiiiiracle it represented?  Yeah.  We're all really impressed down here, I can tell you.

So, as far as I can tell, Red Hat Patsy's views are just plain ol' bog-standard fundy evangelicalism.

I have a co-worker (white, Southern, female) who believes pretty much everything Patsy claimed in the speech starting at 40:00 in the second video.  She (my co-worker) claims that she casually talks to Yahweh in the same way.  She says that he helped her win a game on her smartphone.  No, really. :o  I ended up spending a day with her because we were working together to get decorations for a Mardi Gras parade, and she started into the god-talk, all about how she talks to him all the time and so forth.

So I started in asking, "How come you're not a superhero?  Seriously!  If I could talk to omniscient intelligence at any time and get replies, I could solve climate change, the energy crisis, famine in Africa, you name it!  Omniscient intelligence!  People like you should be running circles around us mere mortals!"  She came back with "Maybe that's your calling. You can talk to God too [i.e., if I joined her religion]."  I kept trying to point out the concept of anticipated consequences.  Millions of Real, True Christians--or even a few hundred of them, who had regular casual conversation with omniscient intelligence would Change.  The.  World. in big, obvious, inescapable ways, just like the world would be different if Superman and The Avengers were real.  She kept trying to make it about me (i.e., "Why don't you ask God then?").

I kept trying to explain (over and over again) that, if her claim of casual conversation with omniscient intelligence didn't work out for her, why should I believe it?  I asked her, "With omniscient intelligence on your side, what possible problems can you not solve easily? 

"Well, Satan--"

"And omniscient intelligence can't outsmart Satan?"

"Yes he can, but it's a choice to follow God..."

"Omniscient.  Intelligence.  If you follow its advice, you cannot possibly make a mistake.  Everything you do would be absolutely, super-humanly, optimized to Accomplish.  Anything.  You. (and he) Wanted.  Why would you ever choose anything else?"

"Well, uh...sin..."

"Omniscient.  Intelligence.  Can't help you out with the 'sin' problem?  You can't tell him, 'Lord, I'd really like to do what you want and not have this sin thing getting in the way all the time'--you do want that, right?--'So, Lord, can you help me out here?'"

"But it's a choice..."

"What 'sin' would you chose over being an actual, honest-to-Marvel superhero, able to do all kinds of amazing and wonderful things for your god?"

Round and round.

So, every time she mentioned some problem she couldn't get past (e.g. "stick-in-the-mud" people holding her back from improving a Zoomba [exercise dance] class), or did something like ask me to help her find a place on her phone's map, I'd keep hitting her with Omniscient.  Intelligence.  Can't outflank a few people?  You're asking me?!

She has a "ministry" that she wants to do, but doesn't have the money.  So I asked her, "Does your god want you to do this ministry?"  "Oh yes."  "Alright then.  So he'll help you figure out how to get the money?"  Now, most believers are pretty good at crafting their theology so that it has no anticipated consequences.  My co-worker hasn't quite caught on to the necessity of this.  So, I explained to her the concept of internet stock trading via Ameridrade.  So, all she has to do is set up an account and ask her god which companies to invest in.  If her beliefs are true and she really does have omniscient intelligence squatting on her medulla obongata, then she couldn't possibly fail as long as she asks him what trades to do (small-cap stocks should work quite nicely) and when, and sincerely intends to use the proceeds to fund the ministry she and her god both want her to be getting on with.[2]

She did go so far as to open an Ameritrade account with her phone while we were on this trip, but when I tried to pose a specific demonstration, with her agreeing in advance to abandon her beliefs if her god failed, and me agreeing to believe in her god if he succeeded, she balked at that.  "I knowwwww God is real, I talk to him all the time."

Now, she and Patsy are hardly the only Christians who believe they routinely have conversations with omniscient intelligence.  Benny Hinn (Jewish male), Pat Robertson (white male), Kenneth Copeland (white male), the nutters who run the Trinity Broadcasting Network (white male and Ginormous Hair white female), and countless preachers and followers across America and around the world do too, most of them white.  And not one of them seems capable of thinking of any mildly creative questions to ask.

Then there's the white male Creationists, who may or may not chat with omniscient intelligence but (I'm sure you would agree) qualify as "colossally stupid," or at least their beliefs do.  Ken Ham.  Duane Gish.  Kent Hovind.  VenomFangX. 

Can I generalize from this that there is some particular phenomenon of white colossal stupidity in need of explanation?  Why or why not?

Now, to link this back to the original topic, I'm not convinced that religions "accepting evolution" would really make much difference as long as they foster boneheadedness on this level.  The problem is not so much particular ridiculous beliefs IMO, as much as the habits of mind that make them possible.  For example, a New Age type nutter can accept evolution (more or less--maybe with a little help from the Ancient Aliens because humans can't stack rocks on their own), but still believe that vaccines are an evil Illuminati conspiracy to cause autism, that homeopathy works, etc..
 1. I stopped the video right after she said that so I could un-roll my eyes.  &)
 2. I'm not evil.  I did tell her not to invest any money she could not afford to lose, and she agreed.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
kcrady:  It would appear that you missed Graybeard's post (#37), for it was that that I was getting at.  I was hoping that after he posted that, you and Nam would offer an apology to me for the erroneous accusations.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:59:46 AM by Star Stuff »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »
kcrady:  It would appear that you missed Graybeard's post (#37), for it was that that I was getting at.  I was hoping that after he posted that, you and Nam would offer an apology to me for the erroneous accusations.

And if you read my reply to Graybeard's post (#39, I believe) you'd see I found his defense for you irrelevant, here's what I wrote in reply:

Graybeard,

That is irrelevant. He opened with pointing out two black women from the same show, no one else who spoke just like they did (and there were a few, I know I watched parts of both videos) and then berated both of them. He didn't start with observation until others, like you, replied. When mooby, and I said what he said was racist he backtracked, and started making excuses.

If a newbie came in and did that y'all would say what he said was racist. Stop defending what he said, and him. It's pissing me off!

-Nam

You will never get an apology from me because you said what you did which sounded racist in context, and then tried to backtrack by espousing there had to be a connection or study on the subject which was IRRELEVANT based on the fact you pointed out two black women, called them "colossally stupid".

You berated them first; not afterward (and even if afterward it could come off racist). That's where you went wrong: berating them. Also, others in both videos said the same things or close enough but had no opinion on them just the two colossally stupid[1] black women.

Where I'm from, the bible-belt, deep south: that's racist. And I asked around afterward to my white relatives: they agreed with me. Just because you said "black" instead of "nigger" doesn't make how you phrased it in your two posts any less than seemingly racist.

-Nam
 1. your words

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
Thank you Nam for displaying that intellectual dishonesty and mule-headedness isn't reserved for the theist.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »
Thank you Nam for displaying that intellectual dishonesty and mule-headedness isn't reserved for the theist.

Say what you like but if I'm dishonest then so is everyone else here who thinks it sounded racist.

And I'm not the only one.

-Nam

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »
Absolutely not. There is absolutely zero evidence that a species can change into another species. This belief is faith based, not scientific. Just because a bunch of people believe what scientists say doesn't mean they are telling the truth. Scientists work for the government who have been known to lie to us all the time.

I wouldn't trust it. I trust God, not man.

I don't know why I'm responding to this nonsense...but...

Do you know what defines a species?

Can you tell us why whales have vestigial pelvis, ankle, and toe bones? Hint, you can look up vestigial before you answer.

Does YHWH have a penis?

I know, I know, this is all really pointless...