Poll

Do you fear death?

I'm an atheist and I fear death.
I'm a theist and I fear death.
I'm an atheist and I do not fear death.
I'm a theist and I do not fear death.
Other.

Author Topic: Do you fear death?  (Read 2001 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Do you fear death?
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:58:53 AM »
Do you fear death? Do you fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bare; all your sins punished.[1]

To be clear: this is about your death; not the death of your loved ones. I included the "other" option as usual, although I can't imagine how someone can think up a fifth option to this question.
It's a "yes or no"-type question, FFS, with a religious view modifier, which in itself is also a binary thing, adding up to four possible answers... but whatever.
 1. Reference to "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Dead Man's Chest", as well as a serious question. The last sentence is intended for theists, while the second sentence is intended for atheists, but purely metaphorical. The first sentence applies to all.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Do you fear death?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:14:14 AM »

This is distinct from living and avoiding death. I'd be terrified to be in a World War One trench, bayonets fixed, waiting for the whistle to go over the top. But as far as dying after a long life in my old age; no. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to live for a thousand years in health, but when a natural death comes I don't fear returning to the state I was in before birth.
When death inevitable approaches me, I will console myself that I will live on in the flesh of my children and the memories of my loved ones.

I thought Richard Dawkins made a very eloquent quote about this;

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?”
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:20:12 AM »
I voted other cos i am both anxious and excited. i fear the act of dieing cos i think it will hurt like fuk. i fear mostly getting to the point my mind and body is in such decay i will have dementia and forgotten my life and will be bed ridden with some nurse feeding me baby food and wiping my ass. that's gotta suk big time.

i am excited cos if some part of me lives on in a conscious state i will have a lot of mysteries answered.

what i really fear is being buried alive and coming to 6 feet under inside a coffin.

I also fear dieing like a little bitch crying for more life and not going out like the awesome dude i think i am.

how about you??
Signature goes here...

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 05:22:15 AM »
"Anticipation of death is worse than death itself."

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."

I don't fear death as it's an inevitability. What I do worry about is how I'm going to die. I'd like it to be quietly in my sleep.... or powersliding at 200mph in an F Type fireball please.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:15 AM »
I've requested that after I die, I'm laid out on a beach and the Army should carry out a controlled explosion on me.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:54:06 AM »
I want to be attacked and eaten by wild predators just sounds noble.
Signature goes here...

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:55:51 AM »

Humans have no natural predators. I doubt you could get an animal to eat you unless it was hungry and/or a vulture.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 06:17:58 AM »
I have been in a situation where I thought I had only hours left to live. I learned that not all deaths are equally frightening. Now I am worried that I am not afraid of death enough. I am worried that I might do something stupid when I visit a country ruled by a dictator, for example.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 06:37:44 AM »
I've requested that after I die, I'm laid out on a beach and the Army should carry out a controlled explosion on me.

I'm to be stuffed and used as a hat stand.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:01 AM »
I've been done with this crap for years.  Oblivion sounds great.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
I fear death in the way of dying young. If I am 80 though, I will not be scared of death. All good things come to an end. That is why life is so beautiful. I also do not have to worry about going to heaven or hell...which is comforting.  :laugh:
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:51:35 AM »
High explosives placed internally and shot out of a rocket in space with a good view of earth.
Signature goes here...

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
Stripped naked and dropped into fierce storm on a pitch black night in the coldest, remotest part of the north pole and see how far i could walk in a straight line.
Signature goes here...

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 07:44:06 AM »
Being afraid of death has saved my life on many occasions.  I'm not afraid of afterlife it's the pain of dying that scares the hell right out of me.  I'm afraid of the sadness my loved ones will have to bare.

Sometimes I am just as afraid to live.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
The idea that my consciousness will cease is an idea I hate and perhaps fear (In addition, I loathe aging and some of the other contraints of the human experience). I exist, I'm human, (though I wish I were more), and I am self aware, therefore vanity is my partner. Too me, my existence IS everything and I can't imagine a world without it. I long to survive and to thrive within the realm of my existence until I am able to reach its limits. Until that happens, I feel like having my conscious existence terminated is terribly unfulfilling and in many ways makes existence a waist. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:33:46 AM by Truth OT »

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »
I am afraid of oblivion, but only if I stop and dwell on it.

It's the notion that one day I will no longer being self-aware; that everything that makes me me (my memories, my personality) will simply cease to exist from my perspective. I also would hate to die before we finally find definitive proof of life on other planets.

I am not ashamed to admit that I do envy theists when it comes to believing in an afterlife, but only in a wishful thinking capacity.

OT: I had typed my post before reading yours... we seem to have very similar feelings on the subject.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:46:48 AM by Disciple of Sagan »
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
I'm not afraid of being dead but everything leading up to it especially if I die through violence or through horrible accident (which are two of my biggest fears).  Basically, I'm afraid of the fear.  Plus, I don't want to die while my kid is still a kid (she is only eight years old and I am 52 so it is possible).  I would like to live long enough to see her grown up and independent.

Death itself, I don't see too much to be afraid of since I won't be aware of it.  Basically, death doesn't really exist for those who are dead.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »
Fear stops you kissing rattle snakes, it is a survival instinct .
Signature goes here...

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »
As an athiest, I fear death, simply because I haven't fully lived and because...im human.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »
Is there a distinction between missing out on life and fearing how yr death will occur and what might happen while dead?
Signature goes here...

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
Is there a distinction between missing out on life and fearing how yr death will occur and what might happen while dead?

Yes. The former would be lamenting over what might have been (probably), while the later is lamenting what will be (certainty): i.e. Oblivion.

Edited for bad grammar.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:30:44 PM by Disciple of Sagan »
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 10:45:57 PM »
go out on some fuked up new experimental hallucinogenic organic molecule drip fed  straight onto the brain surface.
Signature goes here...

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
The sunny side of oblivion:  There is no pondering of either life, loss or for that matter, oblivion.  It's not a state of being.  It is instead, a complete eradication of one's entire self; no worry, no loss, no regret.  No anything.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 11:30:25 PM »
The sunny side of oblivion:  There is no pondering of either life, loss or for that matter, oblivion.

It's not a state of being.  It is instead, a complete eradication of one's entire self; no worry, no loss, no regret.  No anything.

isn't that logically self-refuting, the first claim sets a condition, the second claim actually describes a specific mode of existence?
Signature goes here...

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 12:31:46 AM »
The sunny side of oblivion:  There is no pondering of either life, loss or for that matter, oblivion.

It's not a state of being.  It is instead, a complete eradication of one's entire self; no worry, no loss, no regret.  No anything.

isn't that logically self-refuting, the first claim sets a condition, the second claim actually describes a specific mode of existence?

Aren't you being kind of a nitpicking prig?

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 05:42:44 AM »

I am pretty sure that my death will result in me no  longer existing anywhere. I imagine it will be like be anaesthetised before an operation but, of course, no waking up. So death itself is no concern to me. What bothers me more is the manner of my death - i.e. what will I have to put up with before I die. Some are lucky and just drop dead from heart attacks while other linger ling and painfully with cancer.

As I reach 65 years old already this year I imagine I am closer to this topic that most on the forum but aside from the manner of dying, I am quite unperturbed by death coming along. I wonder if the 'Terry Pratchett type Death' will be involved?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »

I am pretty sure that my death will result in me no  longer existing anywhere. I imagine it will be like be anaesthetised before an operation but, of course, no waking up. So death itself is no concern to me. What bothers me more is the manner of my death - i.e. what will I have to put up with before I die. Some are lucky and just drop dead from heart attacks while other linger ling and painfully with cancer.

As I reach 65 years old already this year I imagine I am closer to this topic that most on the forum but aside from the manner of dying, I am quite unperturbed by death coming along. I wonder if the 'Terry Pratchett type Death' will be involved?

I call hogwash here.  The question is not; do you fear afterlife?  It is; do you fear death?  You are afraid of the act of dying.  I saw my brother, mother, father, aunts, uncles, all die.  Yes I am a theist and I do fear the pain and agony of death.  I do NOT fear what comes after if anything.  I do not fear simply being dead.  I do not fear God; that's not because I am a christian, I have not lived by the book, I trust that if there is a God it is not that cruel.

The fear of dying keeps us all alive until we die.  The pain helps us to embrace it. 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »
Afterlife, Junebug?
You don't remember what it was like before you were born, correct? Why would it be different after you die?
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:32 PM »
OPP...i mean...OP,

(you know me)

No. But it has nothing to do at all with being an atheist.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey